/dist/images/branding/favicon

is the GH3 too light for Movi 10?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Bryan Harvey, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

I searched the boards but could not find anything on this. What's the downside of a super light camera on a Movi 10? I don't really understand the brushless motors enough to understand why one built to for 10lb. cameras might not be good for a 2 pound camera.

2. Paul Watt

Paul Watt Member

It works perfectly well with a GH2, which is even lighter, I think. The stiffness settings have to be adjusted down a bit, and the tray goes almost as high as it will go, but it's no problem.

3. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

I've tried the Sony nex5n with a 10-18mm lens. works perfectly. But I need to mention that due to the rather bad tripod thread of the nex, the lens and camera are fastened to the MoVI quick release plate, which sure is an advantage in this case.

4. Daniel Velluet

Daniel Velluet New Member

I Wolgang,

We are interesting by the mount off your NEX 5n (we have a NX 7) in the Gimbal. It't possible you upload a picture with the NX5 on the Gimbal?

Thanks

5. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Daniel, sorry, I don't have an image ready, and its currently balanced for 5D3. Since some threads are Aluminium, I want to avoid changing too much if not really necessary. However, it's no big deal. You put the tilt tray with the quick release as high up as you can, balance the rest as usual and tighten the nex to the quick release adapter. Since the base plate of the nex is almost non existent (which I hated up to now), the lens (if its a rather big one, like the 10-18) will get pressed towards the quick release adapter and give the mount great stability. The downside is though, that the zoom ring is not working.
    If you wanted to use another lens, I think you have to diy some kind of distance plate that you can fix to the qick release, to connect it somehow to the lens.
    Hope that helps.

6. Daniel Velluet

Daniel Velluet New Member

Thank's Wolgang for your quick answer

7. On the MoVI M10 the GH3 is one of the many cameras we use here in tech support and I have used the GH3 outside Freefly for personal projects with no issues. One helpful hint (no matter what camera you are using) If you use Legacy lenses, a lot of the low quality cheaper adapters will sometimes cause vibration (Oscillation) to occur because the is not a solid tight fit between the camera/adapter/lens. It is worth getting a high quality adapter.

Adam Paugh likes this.
  8. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

That's a good bit of info, Chris. I found it was a bit tricky to achieve an acceptable stiffness setting with the GH3 because it is lightweight. I attached a weighted plate on the hot shoe and snugged it down which seemed to help.

Greetings,
    Adam

9. Augusto Alves da Silva

Augusto Alves da Silva Active Member

I use also my GH3 and works PERFECT