/dist/images/branding/favicon

Working in Cold Temperatures

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by James Leonzio, Dec 11, 2013.

1. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to see if anyone happens to have any experience/tips for working in cold weather (like 20-25*F). I have a shoot tomorrow, and it's going to be freeeeeezing. Just want to make sure I take all precautions necessary.

So far, I will try to keep the standby batteries in a warm place, and always leave the rig powered on to keep the components as warm as possible. Also, I'm going to try a couple different glove configurations to offer enough warmth and touch for the joysticks. Can't mess around with chunky snow gloves, right?

2. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi James,
    I´ve been in the cold last week. Didn´t have any problems during filming. Only when I touched the camera or the MoVI beyond the pan motor, without taking real care, I had to recalibrate (turn off and on again). While that didn´t happen before, I still don´t think it was due to the temperatures. But who knows.
    Other than that, no problems at all.

3. Fritz Mueller

Fritz Mueller New Member

Merino wool finger gloves - they are absolutely the best for cold weather photography. If conditions are really cold also add a second layer with neoprene fingerless gloves and chemical heat packs on the inside of your wrists. http://blog.fritzmueller.com/?p=210

Bryan Harvey likes this.
  4. Eric Yealland

Eric Yealland New Member

Mind that the cables can get stiff (depending on your setup) and create drag from the handle to the gimbal. Makes balancing tricky. I ordered wire that is flexible in cold for future shoots and made my own.