/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Erik Ronald

Erik Ronald Member

Hey Andy, to my knowledge it did send the voltage back down. The instant I plugged it in, the whole thing turned off, and that was that. I am literally typing this $2900 poorer on a new macbook pro (couldn't be without one during the busy season around the holidays).

I didn't have the board hooked up to the laptop on the first go. To be fair, I retested it making sure I wasn't shorting it myself, and the 1st and 4th pin both give the same spike. The sporadic appearance was from moving around the pins.

The board itself is definitely a bit wonky. There is no power going to the IMU anymore. Just had another long chat with these guys. They would flip back and forth between offering to have me send it and then they'd send a refund (yeah right) to telling me they don't need customers like me, to posting my IP address and claiming that my laptop wasn't really dead at all...

2. Erik Ronald

Erik Ronald Member

Thanks for the tip Bill, I will have to check them out. I mentioned viacopter to these guys, they said it was Chinese crap... but I feel like I can't really trust their opinion...

3. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

simpleBGC.jpg I was talking with Alex where I can have some boards built of a large quantity (500) and he suggested Flyduino and Viacopter.
    Paul Bake and Jussi give the best support possible from any suppliers that I know.
    Flitelab does too.
    This is the board I am talking about
    Bill

4. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Andy,
    always good to have u around.
    finally i went back to basics...
    read the manual again
    and guess what.
    the manual and Step 6 for Mode on Fixed Position Stabilise says that in this position, only the Roll and Pan will Stabillise
    The Pan won't be active, this is to prevent the gimbal from rotating on take off and landing.
    Because the legs are on the gimbal itself.
    So cheers.
    all the confidence is back
    BUT... WOULD IT BE POSSIBLE FOR U GUYS TO MODIY THE PROGRAMME TO GIVE OPTION OF FIXED STABILISATION TO PAN.
    Cause a lot of use have fixed or retractable legs on the multicopter body rather that on the cam gimbal
    But come to think of it.
    i don't think it really would matter, and the present system would be good too.
    Cause Fixed Stabilise can be taken as a take off and landing position,
    and Slew Stabilise would be selected immediately after take off in any case and do all the work
    So thanks once again.
    Ramesh.

5. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Hi Bill Collidas, and Andy
    Want to thank u and really appreciate what u doing and helping... from the bottom of my heart.
    U really help guys like me... dumb brains.... only blond females r not dumb any more... hahaha
    u just don't hesitate to put up images that actually clear up our minds on what to do and how it can be done.
    u dont hesitate to put up PIDs, i am yet to find a guy who will tell others the PID values.
    i am still struggling to actually peak the PIDs in spite of going over some video repeatedly.
    This hobby is great only cause of guys like u all.
    Ramesh Tahlan

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Eric: That's simply amazing. I'd just post the facts on this forum and let others form their own views. Don't express editorial opinions, just post the facts.

Andy.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ramesh: Neither Bill nor I work for Freefly. Bill is just Freefly user with above average experience (I get paid to say that), and I'm a volunteer (I don't get paid to say that) -- so, as a volunteer, I'm afraid I don't get to change anyone's firmware.

Andy.

8. Ramesh Tahlan

Ramesh Tahlan Member

Bill Collidas,
    My PIDs for the two axis freely gimbal converted to brushless with Alexmos V3 i have set are as follows, with Canon 5D
    and 5208, 150T on both roll and tilt.
    Pitch - 30 .13 30 power 224 and 14 poles
    Roll - 20 .22 22 145 14
    Limit Accn is set to 500 deg/sec
    the system seems to be working when i move it around in my hand
    have yet to test in flight, which i plan to do this week
    Do my PIDs appear crazy or am i on the right track for a Canon 5D
    I really can't make out if i will be able to figure out if i have really peaked the PIDs,
    i guess learning never stops.
    Ramesh

9. Erik Ronald

Erik Ronald Member

Definitely amazing. Not sure which editorial opinions you are referencing, hopefully not the advice about viacopter, that was just a bit of joke there

10. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Hey Bill,
    Have you tried the high output board yet? From what I've heard people are still running 4s with it. Does anyone know if a belt driven pan axis is the only way to go? Has anyone had success with 8017 or 8018 direct drive on pan?

11. Bill Collydas

I don't know about the 8108 or the 8017 but the GB-85 does the job on all three axis with a RED on it.

Bill

12. Bill Collydas

@Sam I run all my boards on 4S. The boards will handle voltage to 20v so even a 5s charged to 20v will work.
    Of course you have to adjust the power in the GUI to lower values.

Bill

13. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

You can fly the red with the gb-85? not just hand held.

14. Bill Collydas

@Ramesh.
    Your Roll values should be higher than the Pitch values.
    Use 150 to 180 for power 224 is too high.

Bill

15. Bill Collydas

@Sam,
    The guys that I built that gimbal for are in Nepal right now doing a shoot.
    apparently the shots have to do with them running down a mountain and it seems to do the job from the report I got from them.
    I don't know what will it do while flying but that I have to find out. this video was shot in France by my client and his gimbal is a belt driven reduction with the 5208 motors Raw footage.

Bill

16. Sam Fleishman

Sam Fleishman Member

Interesting. I was wondering who got that job. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and the video. These new motors keep coming out faster than anyone can build them. The Carvec brushless solution looks promising. Have you seen that video? no gyro or accelerometer calibration required. No roll shake at crazy angles either.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Just trying to avoid any litigation for you -- you'd avoiding expressing editorial opinions thus far, so I was suggested you continued to do that! :)

But I would lay out the facts in exquisite detail.

Andy

18. Milo Heaton

Milo Heaton New Member

Bill,

I'm trying to make my final motor choice. It is between the GB85 and the 8017. Of those two which one has the higher breakout force when commanded to hold a position? I am considering direct drive for tilt and roll and a 3:1 pulley for yaw.

Thanks

19. Bill Collydas

My choice of motor is the GB-85, of course is just one mans opinion.

Bill

20. Miron Bogacki

Miron Bogacki Member

Hi Bill
    Could you provide same more info about this footage:

It was red camera ?
    What lens ?
    Image stabiliser on ?