/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI 5 with Canon 5DMIII - lens recommendations?

Discussion in 'MōVI M5' started by Jonathan Weiner, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Jonathan Weiner

Jonathan Weiner New Member

I'm excited to get my MoVI 5 soon and have been using my Canon 5DMIII with Steadicam Vest and GlideCam 2000 HD with Canon 16mm-38mm f/2.8 L Glass, does anyone have any recommendations for lenses with this set up when they get the MoVi 5? Canon 14MM L or Canon 24MM L??

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

First of all, have you heard about a shipping date for the M5? As far as I know, Freefly haven’t even revealed the final product yet. I know they had implied that it’d be out before the end of the year, but I wouldn’t count on it at this point. I’m on the list, too (in the first day pre-orders were up), but I’ve not heard from them. But I’d love to hear that they’re around the corner!

That said, to answer your question, many of us (including me) are flying with the Canon 24/2.8 IS lens. It’s one of Canon’s lightest lenses, it has good optical performance, and the IS takes care of some amount of vibration. Theoretically, the MōVI M5 should be able to handle a heavier lens, but it’d depend on what else you had along with the camera on the gimbal (follow focus, downlink, etc...).

I think Tabb from Freefly has uploaded some video he shot from a Cinestar with the 5D Mark III and 24-105 lens at the 105 end, which is pretty remarkable.

Josh Rottman likes this.
  3. Jonathan Weiner

Jonathan Weiner New Member

Steve,
    I've been talking to them, I pre-ordered early too, are you getting their email updates, it is set to ship late January 2014 now. Thanks for your input on the 24MM, it's in my cart on BH now :)
    Jonathan

Steve Maller likes this.