/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Adriel Pfister

Adriel Pfister New Member

I'm new to brushless gimbals... We have a setup with dual tilt motors. 2x 5108 on pitch.

I used a Y cable to hook up both motors to the alexmos board. both motors are spinning in the right direction. and as far as i can tell at the same speed. but they have an offset.

the mounting of the "rotor" of the motor is fixed to the tilt bar and the "strator" is fix to the gimbal. I can't rotate the strator to compensate for the offset.

What do you mean by aligning the poles? How do you do that?
    I'm sorry if I'm asking silly questions, I am new to brushless gimbals and I'm a bit lost with this issue.

cheers,

adriel

2. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Had a present sitting on my workbench when i came home, my Pro kit from burshless gimbals waiting to be put together, YAHOO! My question is has anyone used the High Power AlexMos board from brushlessgimbals, http://www.brushlessgimbals.com/p/8745806/high-power-3-axis-alexmos-controller.html, there seams to be some extra soldering i need to do but I'm having a head time putting information up about this specific board. Anyone use it that could help me out or point to another site with a setup guide. thanks

3. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Adriel,
    Try this
    Bill

4. Tuukka Ylonen

Tuukka Ylonen Member

About poles: I have two of these motors

http://www.fpvmodel.com/ipower-gimb...-epic-camera-aerial-photography-fpv_p735.html

Anedone motor like this

http://www.fpvmodel.com/rctimer-gbm810836n42p-brushless-gimbal-motor-022mm-90t-93ohms_p823.html

On my CS 3 Axis conversion. Alexmos wants to know the amount of poles on the motors. I have understood that poles = the number of magnets on the outer circle of the motor. I also thought that 24N22P on the first motor´s case for example means 22 Poles.

I counted the magnets on the first motor. The number of them is actually 28. So is the number of poles 28 then? On the latter motor it was not too easy to count the magnets precisely enough. So if someone can tell me the exact amount of magnets = poles in that one, I would be grateful. So far I have programmed 42 poles into Alexmos GUI as the description says 36N42P.

5. Adriel Pfister

Adriel Pfister New Member

thank you for your quick response, Bill.

but what do you mean by moving a motor into an extreme position?

when the motors are powered there are certain positions where it "snaps" to. I've tried
    to move motor1 in between two of those positions and then power motor2. but that doesn't seem to change anything.

and second, how much can i expect? this is the offset I have now...

thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

6. Milo Heaton

Milo Heaton New Member

I am new to this forum. I am ready to build a large gimbal for myself. I have built numerous small gimbals but now I want to move up to brushless.

I posted a question, regarding the performance of various large brushless motors, over in RCGroups but so far no responses. Here is my question.

Looking for some powerful brushless gimbal motors for a new build.

I have found the following but I have some questions and looking for recommendations.

1. RC Tiger GB85. 42 pole for good resolution. Looks great but I can not find any technical info regarding how many turns the motor has or what battery voltage should be used. I also can not find any reviews. Has anyone used this motor?

2. RC Tiger GB8108. Also 42 poles. I can't find this on the RC Tiger site so I'm not sure if it is obsolete or what. Again no idea how many turns.

3. RCTimer GBM8108 also 42 poles looks like a copy of the Tiger 8108. This has only 90 turns so I am a bit concerned about how much holding power it has with 4S, maybe 6S or more is needed.

4. Ipower GBM8017-120T only 24 poles but has good reviews.

Any comments regarding these or other large gimbal motors appreciated.

7. Bill Collydas

RC Tiger does not make any 8108.
    The only one RC Tiger makes is the GB85-1
    Those are amazing motors I have tested them on a large gimbal with the RED and they hold the load.
    The 8017's and 8108 I am installing on a new gimbal and I will see how they perform when I'm all done.
    I don't know why RC Timer they label them "GB"

cheers
    Bill

8. Bill Collydas

I have a tilst from RC Tigermotor of all the motors, props, esc's they make and there's no 8108.

Bill

9. Milo Heaton

Milo Heaton New Member

10. Bill Collydas

I don't know the turns I used 4S
    Here are the specs for the 8108
    Turns= 90
    Wire= 0.22
    Poles= 42
    Slots= 36
    Shaft= 8mm
    weight= 219gr
    motor size= 86x26
    resistance= 9.3ohms

Bill

11. Bill Collydas

12. Milo Heaton

Milo Heaton New Member

Yes it is odd that the seller claims it is a Tiger motor. I have emailed the seller but no reply.

Do you have any information on these PMSM motors? http://www.etecpower.com/html_products/Permanent-magnet-synchronous-motor-48.html I have emailed the company and waiting for a reply. I have seen a couple gimbals that use them and claim they are better than a BLDC motor but as usual offer no evidence to back up their claims. I wonder how they compare to the Tiger GB85.

Can an AlexMos controller drive a PMSM?

13. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

I've got a question for those doing the follow mode. I have the camera balanced and tuned but when I turn on follow me my tilt goes crazy going back and forth to the extreames. The roll jitters around as well but not as bad as the tilt. Anyone have this problem and how did you fix it?

14. Bill Collydas

@Milo,
    I don't have any info either. They sent me the price list and the only ones they have in stock are the PM40-PM60 and the gb92-10

GB92-10 Fully enclosed dust-proof, The world powerful $ 214.20
    GB106-17 Fully enclosed dust-proof, The world powerful $ 270.00
    PM57 Optimized for sinusodial waveform $106.20
    PM60 Optimized for sinusodial waveform $124.20
    PM86 Optimized for sinusodial waveform $198.00
    PM100
    Optimized for sinusodial waveform $261.00

But no info about the windings and resistance.

Cheers
    Bill

15. Milo Heaton

Milo Heaton New Member

Thanks for that info Bill. Those prices look great considering the GB85 is $310. I will wait for their response and see how availability is looking.

I did find out the new high current AlexMos board (which etecpower happens to make) will run these PMSM but I don't know when the code will be released.

16. Erik Ronald

Erik Ronald Member

Bill, have you tried the 8108 on pan? I have it mounted now and so far I am having trouble getting it to hold. In the simplebgc gui, I can only turn the P up to 50, though, and much of the tuning info I've seen talks about values above 150. Am I alone on this?

17. Bill Collydas

show me a screen shot of your settings please.

Bill

18. Milo Heaton

Milo Heaton New Member

Bill,

In another thread you mention that the best setup uses belts on all 3 axis. Is that still the case when using large motor such as the Tiger GB85 or ipower 8017?

19. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Milo, so far I've only used it on my rebel with 15-55mm lens, roughly 1.5-2lbs, and they work perfect by themselves. Have it running on 4S and the motors hold it still without a problem. Hopefully next week I'll be able to test a 5D and RED.

20. Bill Collydas

No Milo, With the big motors you don't need the belt conversion. The last rig I built I had 3 GB-85's and they did the job with torque to spare.
    Anything smaller like 5108, 5208's I'll use belts.
    The one I'm doing now it has 2 5108's for the tilt with the belts. and 8108 for roll and 8017 for pan.

Here's what I mean twin tilt RED.jpg