/dist/images/branding/favicon

Teradek Clip

Discussion in 'Video Assist & Video Accessories' started by Drew Kachurak, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Michael Gailing

Hey Wolfgang,

Your iPad Mini only supports 480 while your iPad4 will support 720p and higher. The quality difference should be noticeable, but we do not suggest trying to pull focus with any kind of H.264 encoder. These devices are specifically meant for monitoring purposes, though we do plan on adding some additional functionality shortly.

If you're still running into issues with video quality, shoot an email to Support@teradek.com and copy me on it (Mike [at] teradek.com)

2. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

After reading I have a few questions.
    As of right now we can only stream to an IOs device? When will there be a receiver so we can use the screen we all have now to fly.
    Using a router can extend range, awesome. What about the 95% of flying I do that I don't have an AC outlet sitting right next to me? Did I miss something in the reading about a DC powered router or will I have to now also get a DC to AC converter.
    Last question goes to Gary about his *update* on a post on page 2 about long range and high latency. As of now I'm doing all flying and filming solo so my camera is my flying video feed so I can't have any latency. This would be a deal breaker if it's not fixed, hopefully I just miss read things as I'd like to get this for my flying.

3. Michael Gailing

Hey Paul,

Clip can go to monitors you already own, but you will need to purchase a Cube Decoder.

Thats correct. You'll need to figure out a mobile powering solution for any Access Point that you setup out in the field. Clip is an IP video device, its not a standard point to point RF transmitter.

Clip will always have a little latency since it is an encoder. You should expect to see no more than about 4 frames, but it will rise if you run into heavy interference or if you begin to fly outside of the range of your connection.

4. Jörg Stucke

Jörg Stucke New Member

Hi,

i´m wondering about the CLIP Specifications. On the homepage there is the info that the CLIP is the smallest HD encoder, but as far as i have seen it only supports proxy monitoring on iPad in 480p, which is not fullHD for me. The quality look really bad on a iPad AIR when you compare the stream with 1080p encoded live stream content.

So when it´s called a fullHD encoder and on iOS its only 480p is this device "only" a PAL monitor tool for iOS? Is the FullHD only a marketing strategy from teradek?

Do i oversee something that it is maybe possible to watch full encoded HD in 1080p in a iPad AIR for example? It´s confusing to me, cause i thought that the CLIP is a real 1080p Encoder that allows displaying real 1080p streams.

Anyone can confirm this?

Thanks a lot.

Jörg

5. Michael Gailing

Jorg,

That is incorrect. The Clip encoder supports full 1080p HD at up to 5mbps. You can stream to a Cube Decoder at this resolution or to the latest iPads at 720p (older iPads, as shown on the Clip webpage, support only 480p). In fact, you can push it to 1080p to an iPad Air, but you might see a slight latency increase.

Keep in mind the resolution limitation is on the iOS devices, not the encoder. Most iPads are not powerful enough to decode 1080p at high bit rates with low latency.

Are you sure you're looking at the right Clip page? All this information is listed here: http://www.teradek.com/pages/clip

6. Pete Kenny

Pete Kenny New Member

Hi Gang,
    I'm in the UK and have Clip on a quadcopter up and running with iPad 2.
    Currently setting up Ubiquiti Rocket M5 and antenna, POE via 6s lipo with this:
    http://linitx.com/product/passive-poe-injector/11329
    Looking promising.
    Not for FPV but film making and industrial inspection.

Only problem so far is finding compact lightweight flexible micro hdmi to micro hdmi cable,
    will have to make my own!
    Cheers and Seasonal Greetings.

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

The Sanho's are repackaged Hyperthins and they don't seem to offer the micro. However you could get an adapter?

9. Pete Kenny

Pete Kenny New Member

Thanks Guys, very little space for adapter and trying to save weight too.

10. Pete Kenny

Pete Kenny New Member

Hi Michael,
    As recommended, I will be setting up a Rocket M5 and AMO 5G10 antenna very soon to check out range and coverage.
    I am not looking to fly beyond visual range but looking at the antenna specs the vertical coverage may be a problem.
    Vertical beam width is small.
    I understand that in a typical shoot vertical WiFi coverage is not an issue but flying a camera on a 'copter means it could be.
    Will report soon.
    PK

11. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

I am doing the same today.
    Will report results here.

12. Pete Kenny

Pete Kenny New Member

Thanks, can't wait.

13. Steve Maller

14. Michael Gailing

15. Jack Klink

Jack Klink New Member

Michael,

I just received my Rocket M5 and AMO-5G10 today and I started testing it. With only 1 thin wall between me and the clip, I was only able to get about 300-320ft before losing my connection to the Wifi Network. :/

These results seem to be very different from the ones you suggested in an earlier post. Wouldn't something like the UniFi AP Outdoor+ (Also by Ubiquiti) be more applicable to these types of setups? The UniFi is an Access Point device that is designed to be just that. Upon further reading online, It seems to me that the Rocket M5 is designed for other types of Point-to-point connections between Ubiquiti devices.

Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks

16. Steve Maller

I have been able to get 200 meters away without seeing a single glitch with that exact hardware. What copter are you using, and do you want to post a photo of how the Clip and its antennae are mounted? If you’re flying a Cinestar, the carbon fiber can make a mess of radio signals. As can other things on the copter.

17. Michael Gailing

Hi Jack,

We've had nothing but success using the Rocket + Clip combination (we've seen 1000+ ft). We also have a Unifi system and that works well too. Are you running the Rocket and Clip on the 5Ghz band? Is it a clear channel? If you think its a hardware issue, shoot an email to Support@teradek.com

18. Jack Klink

Jack Klink New Member

Steve,

I was doing this testing by holding the camera and just walking with it. The clip is mounted to the top of my camera with the 2 antennas aimed straight up and nothing blocking them on any side. I even tried holding the camera up higher in the air to get a better signal at 300ft. I also tried holding the camera still at many points to see if the signal would improve, but regardless I could not get beyond about 300ft.

19. MarkAxius

MarkAxius New Member

Does anyone know how to set up an Apple Airport Extreme as an access point to run 2 CLIPS simultaneously? The physical characterisitcs of the Ubiquity Rocket M5 won;t do. I need a simple desktop access point and I know Michael and Kyle both said they have had some positive results. Only need abut 300ft through walls, etc....

20. Michael Gailing

Hey Mark,

There shouldn't be any special configuration necessary. Just be sure to have both on the 5GHz band and you should be good to go.