/dist/images/branding/favicon

Single Pilot camera flying and tilt control

Discussion in 'Camera Operating' started by Bryan Harvey, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Thats too bad. Have you looked at the Jeti DC-16 as a replacement? It looks like it's totally configurable and has stick end controls that could be used for tilt control. I don't know how well it would work to fly the cinestar overall though. Any thoughts or experience with this or other transmitters that might be a good substitute? It's expensive but what's a few more bucks at this point anyway.

Bob

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jeti looks good for MK and you get voice. I'm waiting for Synapse which likely, based on MoVI, be Spektrum and s.Bus like the Radians.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've not taken the plunge yet -- just in case we just happen to get decent weather before the real rainy season hits.
    As Gary says, I think it's "Send it back to Germany and wait. And wait. And wait...." And then hope that you don't get stung for duty when it comes back in.

I was planning to mark my unit clear as one purchased in the USA and being returned for repair.

Andy.

4. Laurence Hamilton-Baillie

why not just mount the head tracker on the back of the transmitter. my head tracker-brushless gimbal combo has enough smoothing to smooth out all the little shakes from your hands/or head.

5. Mike Jetter

Mike Jetter New Member

I did exactly that. When I tilt the TX, the camera tilts. Works pretty well you just need a big enough deadband (I'm using the DIY headtracker that can be build for $50). You have to practice since now you control one dimension more with your TX. I'm using a brushless gimbal with the Alex Mos controller and in speed mode the tilts are very smooth. Check out this video where I used this the first time.

6. mathewfarrell

mathewfarrell Member

An old thread, but I'm a little surprised more folks don't use the MC-20 (why is that? I haven't looked into it). I'm a rookie pilot, but controlling camera tilt with one of the side rotary levers is pretty easy (with index finger on the side of the top, and sometimes middle finger on the bottom of it). The sliders in the centre of the unit are nice, but very hard to use without releasing either of the sticks.

Steve, I should be very easy to drill a hole in the side of you MX-20 and screw in a 3.5mm TRS or TS jack. wire that up to the switch/pot that you want. That way you can still use the rotary dial or plug in a wah or sewing machine pedal. I appreciate you've probably already done this or passed on the idea.

W.r.t. carefree, as a single operator I view carefree as adding a camera yaw axis, nothing more. I fly the bird line of sight (not FPV), and the yaw stick now becomes camera yaw. The trickiest part is dividing your visual attention between flying the bird line of sight and flying the camera POV.