/dist/images/branding/favicon

Change Tilt Direction Using a Switch

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Austin Glass, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I recently set out to try and figure out how to use one of the unused switches to change the tilt direction (i.e. up is down, or up is up).

(This idea brewed in this thread)

My preference is that up is up, and some will agree with my preference, and I know others will not. I wanted an easy way to have my preference and not frustrate any other op that I hand the remote to. I'd love it if it was super simple to switch between users.

Well, I figured it out! I was so excited I thought I'd share by making this tutorial video:

Mike Vickers and Steve Maller like this.
  2. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hey Austin.
    I think others like me who have had no experience with RC stuff in the past will be as grateful as I am for the time and effort you've put into this excellent demo. So a massive thank you!

Unfortunately my Movi is almost ready to ship, so I can't make the change to the remote tilt operation, but you can bet that as soon as it arrives, it'll be one of the first things I do. And I'll be doing it while watching your video again.

By the way, the left joystick I assume controls the pan motion, is this in reverse as the tilt......toggle left moves the gimbal right, and toggle right moves it left????

Cheers and thanks again.
    Garry

3. Austin Glass

Hey Garry,

Thanks for the kind words. I look forward to hearing from you about how this modification works for you. Please be sure to do the "Model Copy" process (which is simply described in the manual) beforehand, just in case!

The pan and tilt are controlled with the same joystick. The right stick is P/T, and the left controls pan speed (like a throttle). By default, pushing left on the pan stick will cause the camera to pan left.. This modification does not change the pan function at all.

Happy MoVI-ing!
    Austin

4. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

H
    Hey again Austin.
    I'll be sure to make a copy of the settings before making the changes as suggested.

I think you can now see just how much I know about RC, which is bugger all, when I didn't know the left stick was speed. Maybe I should have bought rc toys for my boys when they were young and I'd be educated.

I've paid the balance for my M10, so am expecting the shipping details any day now. Just like Xmas for kids, I'm getting excited, and I'm way too old for that.

Cheers
    Garry

5. Austin Glass

I know the feeling! Try to hang in there while you wait!

For what it's worth, the FIRST time I've ever even looked inside the menus of any RC transmitter was two nights ago… one night before I made this video! Before that, the only experience I'd had with RC (not counting using this remote a few times in the last 4 weeks) was when I was 12. I don't think it compares much!

What I'm trying to say is, you can pick it up pretty quickly if you put your mind to it!

6. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

thx Austin! :)

Austin Glass likes this.
  7. Marc Morissette

Marc Morissette New Member

Thanks Austin, I'll try that soon

Great tip !

8. Norbert Blenk

Norbert Blenk Member

Thank you very much, Austin!
    Tried it, works fine.

Norbert

Austin Glass likes this.
  9. Aaron Mendez

Aaron Mendez New Member

Austin,

Any thoughts on assigning a DX7 lever to toggle on/off the majestic tilt function? Is it possible without having to go into the freefly software? I like majestic tilt but I can imagine situations where I wouldn't want it activated. Thanks.

Aaron

10. Austin Glass

I'm trying to understand what you mean…

Do you mean, switch on is "smooth lock" and switch off is "majestic angle"? (The modes/terminologies used in the FF Configurator app).

Perhaps you could elaborate?

11. Charles Bergquist

…thanks for this Austin!

Austin Glass likes this.
  12. Aaron Mendez

Aaron Mendez New Member

Yes. Austin. That's exactly what I mean.

13. Austin Glass

Hmm, yes, that would be a nice thing to be able to change easily. There are certain features I'd like to add that are similar, but I have figured on some things, programming would have to be done on Freefly's hardware. I think that would be one of those things the remote can't handle on its own. The engineers have the Movi programmed with certain behavior when it receives a specific input from the DX7s, and I think that would have to be changed there.

I believe that feature is technically possible, but I do not believe it can be done without a firmware update. It is much like getting a proper roll control. We can set up the remote to control basic roll, but to get the feature working the way it should, some more advanced programming has to happen.

14. Mike King

Mike King Member

So I after using the Movi on shoots, I had the desire to change the tilt direction - but be able to do it mapped to an unused switch on the DX7s. Thought I'd search the forum first - and there is exactly what I wanted to do with a great show-how video.
    Thanks very much for the video Austin, it is greatly appreciated!

Mike

Austin Glass likes this.
  15. Austin Glass

That's awesome, Mike, I'm glad it worked out for you!

16. Timothy John Foster

Timothy John Foster New Member

Are people really setting up their Movi controls so that when you push the stick FORWARD the camera tilts UP? Please don't do this. If you insist, don't ever go anywhere near an airplane.

17. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

It's all a matter of perspective, the effect of which is changeable with a switch.

Austin Glass and Steve Maller like this.
  18. Austin Glass

I will never be permitted to fly an airplane. I am, however, permitted to "fly" a MōVI, and I'd like to control it in a way that makes sense to me. Some people prefer it the same way as me, and some prefer it the other way. These are merely options, and the people that I've handed my modified RC transmitter to have appreciated having that option. :)

19. Timothy John Foster

Timothy John Foster New Member

Shouldn't this be standardized? What if you bid a job, you're presented with a different control system, and there's no way to reverse the tilt direction? It's something that will be very hard to unlearn, so it seems better to me to start off with a standard control configuration.

20. Austin Glass

I can change this for myself in about a minute if I had to.

And if it's standardized, maybe it should be standardized to a way that makes logical sense. Push up, where does the camera point? Down? I don't know about you, but I always thought that down was the opposite of up… but maybe that's just me.

So far, the scenario you mentioned had not even come close to arising. Another interesting thing is this: the new MōVI controller coming out soon? It has a tilt-orientation toggle. Obviously this is a feature that is not unique to me or the people that have performed this hack.