/dist/images/branding/favicon

Airline Restrictions on Batteries

Discussion in 'Batteries & Power' started by Sam Livingstone, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Sam Livingstone

Sam Livingstone New Member

How can we safely and legally transport the 6S 10,000mAh batteries we need for the CS8 on airlines? I'm filming for a film based in Colombia and so need to transport 6 batteries not only to Bogota but also to several different locations via internal flights (so FEDEXing them everywhere isn't really practical). The current IATA restrictions seem to say lithium batteries over 160Wh cannot be transported. Each battery needed for the CS8 is around 222Wh, well above this legal limit.

In the past this has been largely ignored, however recently airlines have been cracking down. This year American Airlines fined both the BBC and the cameraman $75,000 each for carrying batteries above this restriction!

Has anyone tried flying with 6x3S batteries? I suspect there is a higher risk of drop out cells etc, but would be keen to know anyones opinion. Also, if anyone has a solution to the transport problem, I'd be keen to know.

2. Erik Ronald

Erik Ronald Member

Do you have a link on the battery fine? I would assume the most they can do is tell them they can't fly with them.

3. Sam Livingstone

4. Erik Ronald

Erik Ronald Member

Ah, I see they checked them in the hold as opposed to trying to carry them on.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

And yes they pulled the batteries off and fined them for not following the rules. Only safe way is either carry on with the proper size or ship via Fedex/UPS or similar.

6. Sam Livingstone

Then it becomes impractical to travel several times by internal plane to remote locations - which is exactly what I need to do.

Is anyone flying the CS8 using multiple batteries with a 100Wh or less rating? Is this safe and how would you do it?

Sam

Edit: Found these batteries. How many of these would we need to fly the CS8?: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lith...tyIndustry-leading-cycle-life/1479740186.html

7. Erik Ronald

Erik Ronald Member

I am using 4s with 2 2s in series. You could do the same with 2 3s, at 8000mah and be under 100mwh. I have never had an issue running batteries in series.

8. Sam Livingstone

Thanks Eric, I was considering this but my distributor said its much less reliable than running 2x 6S 10000mwh. Good to know you had no issues. I might give it a go if by my February deadline there are no other solutions.

Sam