/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

I am not putting Grayson down Howard.
    Maybe he can get them on request but the 5208 cages will not do. I use a different tilt bar therefore I use different cages.

Bill camera tray set.jpg

2. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

3. Bill Collydas

I guess you can, but if the gimbal is for flying you want to save weight. The 5108's are lighter than the 5208's and the cages are lighter also.

Bill

4. Howard Dapp

Actually I believe the 5108s are slightly heavier than the 5208s if I'm not mistaken. Besides, if you're flying an Epic you better have a platform with enough power to spare. The weight of gimbal motors and cages shouldn't be a factor mainly because there are not many lightweight choices out there for an Epic gimbal.

5. Bill Collydas

Img_1872.jpg Img_1873.jpg The 5108's are 40gr lighter than the 5208's
    5108=60 mm
    5208=63.5 mm

Bill

Kristian C likes this.
  6. Howard Dapp

I was actually talking about the original 5208s which are 168g. Less resolution than the updated version but we're having no issues with that whatsoever. Either way the small difference in weight shouldn't be an issue when building a BIG copter hauling cinema gear and all that comes with that. My original point was...all of components to build a high quality BLG are readily available for cheap if you know where to look! ;)

7. RICHARD DEFARIAS

RICHARD DEFARIAS New Member

What kind of a machine will lift that weight? I HAVE A CARBONCORE OTCO 1000, 400kv

Plus you have all the other stuff plus batteries and camera. THATS RIGHT,

You can use the 8017's on the roll and pan and go twin 5108's on the tilt. I THOUGHT TO DO THAT, HOW CAN I CONNECT 2 MOTORS TOGETHER?

But Brushlessgimbals does not have the cages for the twin motors...I do
    Plus I can supply you with any other Carbon stuff that you might need. HUNNNN, REALY? FOR EXAMPLE?

SO, 3 big cages, and 3 big motors will be to heavy you are saying?
    Regards
    Bill

8. Howard Dapp

My BLG is using dual 5208s on all three axis. I'm using a single 4s 1500mah 30c lipos to power it. Add the landing gear and vibration dampening top pan mount and the weight without camera is 2.7kg. Add Epic with additional lipo with downlink electronics and gimbal AUW is 6.4kg. My setup is 700kv on 5s with 13" props...no problem with weight and getting enough flight time. In the process of going 6s, 400kv and 15" and 16"

I wouldn't suggest jumping in and building your own BL gimbal if you don't have patience, experience and skill with RC. Bill C has all 3 plus good prices! so I would recommend contacting him directly :)

9. RICHARD DEFARIAS

not bad bro,,,,,
    So you have dual on averting? 6 motors total? is that right?, also, how do i connect 2 motors on the same plug in the alex mo board?
    Also waiting for some idea if go with 3 big motors, or 2 on tilt and 2 big on pan and rol, like bob said

I have a carboncore octo 1000 with tiger motors 400 kv, 2 6S zippy 8000, DJI wookoong and 14'6 wood prop, right now, without gimbal, i get almost 30 minutes of flight,, maybe add a gimbal ill get 15, little more, what do you say?

also, can you post some picx of your setup?

Regard
    Richard

10. Howard Dapp

Just simply connect 2 motors to each driver. The tricky part is aligning poles for the dual motors. My gimbal is pre-8012 motor...this is the reason I'm using dual on pan and roll. I'd go with Bill's suggestion of using the 8012s on pan/roll.

11. RICHARD DEFARIAS

you mean 8017s? i still don't get it, connect 2 motors on each drive,,,,? or your are saying , lets see, i will use 2 alex mo board, 1 board will be connect the pan and 1 motors for the titl, and the other board will be connect the roll and the second motor for the till? thats what you talking about?

regards,

Teco

12. Bill Collydas

NO, Richard
    You connect two motors together via "Y" harness. Read this blog the guy explains how to do it.
    http://forum.basecamelectronics.com/index.php?p=/discussion/524/dual-tilt-motor-wiring

I hope this helps.

Bill

RICHARD DEFARIAS likes this.
  13. RICHARD DEFARIAS

14. Bill Collydas

heheheheh it don't work that way Richard.

The guy I built the octo for he uses 4x8000 6S batteries and flies 13min with 18% left on the batteries,
    Now his rig weighs AUW 16kg loaded.

On his old machine SkyJib he was flying the same AUW 12min. with 4x8000mAh 5S batteries.
    So, if he tries to fly with 2x8000 6S he will get about 5min.
    on -18C weather.

Bill

RICHARD DEFARIAS likes this.
  15. RICHARD DEFARIAS

GOOD info there Bill, Thanks a lot

16. RICHARD DEFARIAS

got it, guess i will have to see when everything is done and up and flying, ,ill let you guys know, also you told me that you have some parts, like 2 tilt cages for sale?

17. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

I'm pushing 15min with an AUW of 16LBs on my HEX. QC3328, tiger motor carbon 14x4.8 props, 4X 4S5500 gens aces, NAZA V2. That. 16LBs is with my rebel and a 18-55mm lens, roughly 1.5lbs. I haven't flown a RED yet and with my brushless conversion comming I'm hoping to stay around 8-10min with the red. I also have some QC 4S10,000 batteries comming, I know I drop 2000mha but I'll also drop nearly 2lbs so hopefully the tradeoff will be worth it.

18. Tristan Hallereau

Tristan Hallereau New Member

Hello everyone,

I made my handle gimbal 3 axi few weeks ago.
    My current setup:

- 2 Alexmos Controller V1.0 Firmware: 2.30 b5 (One for the pitch , the other for Roll & Yaw )
    - Lipo 4S / 2200mAh
    - 3 iFlight GBM 8017
    - Canon 24-105 f4 lens with 5DmkIII

I do my tests at 24mm lens .
    First, my gimbal is perfectly balanced on all 3 axis. In any position is the gimbal held .

My problem is in follow mode, when I throw the gimbal down or up, the pitch makes the job correctly but the Roll starts to vibrate .

Is this a problem of torque on the Roll and Yaw ? Lack - til power ?

My PID settings are as follows:

Pitch: 11 / 0.2 / 12 / Power : 70/ 65 GyroTrust : No Gyro High Sensitivity / Limit Acceleration : 500 dg/sec2

Roll : 7 / 0.25 / 13 / Power 210/ 60 Gyro Trust / No Gyro High Sensitivity / LimitAcceleration : 500 dg/sec2

Yaw : 8 / 0,26 / 13 / Power 210/ 60 Gyro Trust / No Gyro High Sensitivity / LimitAcceleration : 500 dg/sec2

If someone can enlighten me on a mistake I have made I will be delighted .
    I also attach pictures, for those who have questions about the design, I made all the parts myself.

Thank you in advance.

Tristan

Attached Files:

19. RICHARD DEFARIAS

THATS A VERY NICE GIMBAL YOU GOT THERE, BUT UNFORTUNATELY I CAN'T HALP YOU WURH THE PID

20. Bill Collydas

Your numbers don't look right Tristan
    R= 22-19-20 Power=172
    P= 17-13-15 Power= 162
    Y= 20-15-18 Power= 125
    Limit Acceleration = 0

try those settings I use the GB85-1 with the RED

Bill