/dist/images/branding/favicon

Follow focus recommendations for Movi 10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Carl F. Coates, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Carl F. Coates

Carl F. Coates New Member

Just bought Movi 10 and am curious about which follow focus systems are working out the best.

I'm leaning towards a bar tech or redrock

2. TSUYOSHI YASUMOTO

3. TSUYOSHI YASUMOTO

4. Ben Huddleston

I think a lot of people are going with the RedRock since the motor and base station are digital, small, light, and mostly that it's cheap at only $2,500. I have one, but I'd rather own a Bartech, even the analog ones. A Preston if you want prestige and great resell value, and want to drop another $6k.

The RedRock is fine; in fact, most people find that it is a sensational value based on how accurate and responsive it is. The key to being happy with their remoteFocus is to CHANGE CHANNELS UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY. All the whining I hear about the RR FF can be resolved by changing channels. RF interference is real.

5. Giorgio Sironi

Giorgio Sironi New Member

I have a CMotion, really expensive, but better than any Preston.We hope to be able to use it, rent it and in case resell it for good money. Cheers ;)

ss kiran reddy likes this.
  6. Sean Donnelly

Sean Donnelly New Member

Preston is rock solid and super accurate, but I was concerned about size/weight of the MDR. Cmotion are fantastic, they a great small form factor 2 channel system. Haven't used the redrock yet, heard wildly mixed things.

Currently I'm using an analog bartech with an M One motor, works great.

-Sean

7. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

RT motion is a very reasonably priced, very well built system, and the receiver could not be any smaller. They also made me a very lite weight/flexible motor cable which showed up in about a week. RT Motion.... winner.

8. ss kiran reddy

ss kiran reddy New Member

I am leaning towards the RT motion with a single motor. Could you please advise more on the system Mr. Erich. Thank you.

9. TSUYOSHI YASUMOTO

I didn't know the RT motion before, but... I think this system is the best!
    http://www.rtmotion.com/page/home

ss kiran reddy likes this.
  10. Richard peterson

Richard peterson New Member

I have a bartech but I'm really looking into the RT. My m-one motor has play in the gear and is not really smooth. I get a small "jerk" when the motor changes direction. I bought it new and it has been like that since day one. I also noticed another unit I worked with had the same issue.

Jason Herring likes this.
  11. ss kiran reddy

Thanks for your advise and taking your time. Very valuable for me to decide, ordering my RTM single motor.

TSUYOSHI YASUMOTO likes this.
  12. ss kiran reddy

I want to start out with the RTM. Cmotion is way too expensive but the best I believe.

Mark Hroch likes this.
  13. Erich Roland

Erich Roland Member

I owned an M-one motor with a bartech for a few years. The bartech was great, never had an issue but the M-one motor had problems. When I sent it to the guy who made it for repair.... more problems (long story). The M-One motor never worked very well.

14. Carey Lee Coffey

RT Motion MK3. Hands down. I've used both the RR mocroRemote and the MK3, so I know what I'm talking about.

15. TSUYOSHI YASUMOTO

16. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Ive tested several units over the past few weeks.

The best bang for your buck is the Heden carat in my opinion. Very strong durable and simple system.

After that its the Axis one for me. much bigger but the transmitter receiver is fast and snappy.

don't waste your money on the red-rock. very laggy and minimal range.

haven't tested the RT motion. They seem hard to get a hold of. Worrisome esp if you need to get it serviced.

17. Mike King

Mike King Member

Eric,
    I was looking at the Heden carat kit on their website and it looks pretty solid. I was wondering how you powered it? Could I power it off the Movi Lipo? Also, where did you get yours, their website isn't much help.
    Thanks,
    Mike

18. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Mike I don't know. I'm powering it off a hot p-tap with my custom cable run down the spine of the rig. You would need to check and see if the lipos can power it. I don't mess with lipid if I can. It would suck to try a 4k piece of kit on a 50 dollar battery

19. Mike King

Mike King Member

That's a very good point. I found the post of your setup after I asked my question - it's really impressive. I'm also working on ways to lighten my Epic rig. Thanks for the info!

20. ss kiran reddy

Check out for the Axis1 wireless Follow Focus unit from Hocus Products. Great reviews so far. I am deciding between the RT Motion and the Axis1.