/dist/images/branding/favicon

M10 w/ Sony FS700 - balancing

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Blair Richmond, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Blair Richmond

Blair Richmond New Member

Hi all,

We recently received our M10 system and have been trying to properly balance a Sony FS700, the issue we're finding is the camera, with any lens, is too front-heavy while still having full tilt functionality. We've gotten close but it's still too front-heavy for a proper balance. Has anyone balanced it yet? We're thinking we may need to get longer "Roll Arms" to accommodate the length and weight, any suggestions on what to get and where (we're in Canada).

Thanks!

Blair

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Is there anything you can move towards the back of the camera? Maybe more weight underneath at the back?

3. Blair Richmond

Hi Brad,

We are looking into a short-term solution of adding weight to the camera but I was told by staff at Freefly that adding weight to the camera won't help balance it and will put more stress on the gimbals. I think adding more weight, as long as we're within the 10lb limit shouldn't be a problem, but I may be wrong.

The solution I see is to extend the roll-arms so we can move the camera further back. Looking into that option as well but it seems like it may have to be a custom solution.

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

True, if your under 12 lbs it'll be fine. Not ideal to add dead weight, but fine. The gimbal doesn't know you have a 700 vs Epic.. only the weight.

Are you running a follow focus or any other accessories? I have access to a FS700 but it may be next week before I can test out balancing.

5. Blair Richmond

That's what we were thinking as well. We don't have a follow focus but we would like to add at minimum an HDMI or component out for an external monitor.

6. James H Ward

James H Ward New Member

I'm finding the same problem - with my camera/lens package I figure I need c.1KG adding towards the rear of the camera. Has anyone found any usable weights?

7. Blair Richmond

We ended up using an L-Bracket, bolted to the bottom of the camera and 5 weight plates that we had for our Glidecam to balance it out. With the 18-200mm kit lens and sony fs700, I think it ended up coming to just over 6 lbs. We kind of just kept adding weight until it seemed to balance as best as possible.

8. Jamie Merchant

Jamie Merchant New Member

Hi Blair

Is your Movi rig working well with the setup you stated in the above message? We want to use a sony F700 tomorrow and are testing it out at the moment with added weight. Hust wanted to see how you got on.

Cheers

Jamie

9. Blair Richmond

Hi Jamie,

The rig seems to be working so far. It's not ideal with the added weight and it's definitely more finicky to balance but so far it works. Best thing to do is just find an easy way to add and subtract weight and do so until you find that balance.

Cheers.

10. Esteban de Llaca

Esteban de Llaca New Member

I´ve tried to counterweight my fs700 but I was able to do it only with very little small lenses. No follow focus. When I tried to counterweight camera to balance this with sony´s 18-200mm (a lens I hate by the way) it just does´t feel right. looks like it is to large for the Movi. I had also thought about chanting roll arms but the roll that has no motor (left hand side if you see this front wise) can´t take apart.
    I heard from Freefly staff they are working in some adapt. to be able to work with f55. And will come out in the near future.
    That surely be good for the fs700 as well.