/dist/images/branding/favicon

M10 with C300 and 16 - 35

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Ben Hughes, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Hi everyone, has anyone tried the above? I can't seem to get the cg vertical balance with the canon l series 16 - 35. Also I find it hits the top of the MōVI?
    Is this combination not possible and is it best to stick with shorter primes, the 16 - 35 zoom does tend to give an off axis cg.
    Thanks!

2. Chris Durkee

Chris Durkee Member

yes i have found that the c300's height is causing some problems for longer lenses.

I'm glad you posted this because I was actually considering getting the 16-35... scratch that off my list.

3. Could either of you two post images of how much of an angle the tilt position is in when you say it hits the MoVI rig itself.

Thanks,
    Chris

4. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Yes will do tomorrow Chris, it would be great if it would work..
    I'm also having a problem trying to connect via Bluetooth to my movi on iPad. It just doesn't show up in my Bluetooth devices..?

5. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Ben, you can't connect via ipad yet.

6. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Looks like I need to buy a google tablet!!

7. Joao Penaguiao

Joao Penaguiao New Member

I use a 16-35 on a C300 with no problem.
    The C300 is on a redrock cage, I use a short rod in the front with a lipo attached with duck tape, it powers the micro remote FF and adds weight enough so the camera can slide more backward for balance...and voilá. C300.jpg

8. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Thanks Joao for the pic.
    But do you not find that when you are balancing the vertical CG the lens hits the top pan motor? Will take a PIC now.
    Thanks

9. Joao Penaguiao

No... because the extra weight in front allows you to pull back the camera so the lens doesn't reach the top pan motor IMG_2064.jpg

10. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Sorted it!! It's balanced perfectly now, and it doesn't touch anywhere! So it is possible to use a 16 - 35.
    Next question. How are people running there hdmi leads to dp4 or other monitors on the pan handle? A normal size hdmi seems too heavy and pulls the camera back. Is the only way to buy a lightweight hdmi cable? Other than sending the signal wirelessly? Teradek (but them you need two receivers) one for smallhd and one for 2nd hd monitor (2nd operator).
    Thanks. image.jpg

11. Ben Huddleston

Yes, at the very least you need that ultra-thin hdmi. Or if you have the coin The Paralynx Arrow Plus with 3 receivers is the best solution. One receiver on the Movi handlebar, one for the remote op and one for the focus puller. Best of all, no wires to tangle up!

12. Joao Penaguiao

I have the Paralynx Arrow Plus, but prefer to use the thin HDMI btw the camera and DP4, he one from freefly store is very thin, doesn't disturb the operation and one less gadget and power need down there. But that is me.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Google Nexus 7 is the best solution I found, Ben.
    Worked right out of the box.
    Best case I found was the Moko carbon fiber.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Ben: have you ever seen the equivalent ultra-thin USB cable? I'm experimenting with the Okii Systems controller on a 5D Mk III.

Andy.

15. Chris Durkee

Chris Durkee Member

Hey Joao can you post more pics with the cage! maybe of the whole system. I hava a cage, but I found it made the camera too tall for all of my lenses! maybe i'm doing something wrong?

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

17. Ben Hughes

Ben Hughes Member

Thanks Andy,
    Looks like I will get that before I sort out my wireless. Got the nexus 7, and yes it worked out of the box. Just a shame that its an additional expense when I've got an iPad here, but by the sounds of it its out of freeflys control. Its actually a brilliant tablet and loads cheaper than iPad! I may convert!!:)

18. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin New Member

How are the C300 owners dealing with the eye piece of the camera? Mine seems to prevent the camera from being able to tilt backwards more than about 45degrees. thanks.

19. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin New Member

I'd really love to see more pictures of your setup from a variety of angles so I can see how you've accomplished your setup.

THANKS!

20. Chris Baldwin

Chris Baldwin New Member

Do you think you can send a picture of how you're routing the cables from the camera to the top bar? thanks