/dist/images/branding/favicon

Flying with LiPo's

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Gary Haynes, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

From Reduser.net. http://www.reduser.net/forum/showth...on-batteries&p=1284488&viewfull=1#post1284488

Seems that an American airline has decided to fine/claim damages of $ 75,000 each from a freelance cameraman and the broadcaster he was working with (BBC) for putting 2 boxes of lithium ion batteries in the hold, rather than hand carrying as regulations dictate.

There is nothing on the internet as yet about this case, but it has happened.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Devin Card likes this.
  2. Sean Haverstock

Thanks for sharing Gary. I've always carried them on but it would be easy to forget one on a gimbal or somewhere in a peli.

3. Bryan Harvey

Bryan Harvey Member

So, I also carry on about 50lbs of lipos for my shoots. That's 18 8000mah batts, plus all the smaller ones to run the gimbal etc...

http://safetravel.dot.gov/definitions.html

It would seem that any battery around 8000mah or over is not legal to fly period as the limit for ELC (lithium equivalent content) is too high.
    Most everyone in this business I suspect are using batteries that are borderline legal or over.
    Oddly they don't really specify total lithium content of all the batteries you carry, just per battery (if I'm reading it correctly). From a safety standpoint this does not makes sense to me when all those batteries are stacked next to each other in my carry-on case.
    I tape the connectors and use firebags for all and always carry on board. Almost did not make it home last flight when they tried to make me hand check the case at the gate and I informed the flight attendant I was carrying lipos that must be in carry on. The USAir pilot had to call mission control to get the go-ahead. I'm certain that if he saw how MANY I had in the case he would have left me standing at the gate.

So what is the solution?

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If in doubt ship them FEDEX. Better to pay to get them there than be left at the airport watching your flight depart.

5. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Bryan, the limit on larger lipos are technically 2 per passenger but I haven't known anyone at TSA or in the airline industry to 1. know the rules or 2. be able to calculate lithium content.

As for not getting stuck with having to explain how gate check isn't an option... board as early as you can. Get overhead space. Rampers and Gate Agents will say anything to get a flight out on time... including lipos are ok to check. Don't do it. You already know more about battery regulations by reading your post above than 90% of the industry.

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member