/dist/images/branding/favicon

What speed can Movi MR handle

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Angus Benson-Blair, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Angus Benson-Blair

Angus Benson-Blair Active Member

One of the rigs I am hoping to attach a Movi MR to is a Single-rotor aircraft capable of 65-70mph. This aircraft is also very nimble i.e. it can do some pretty extreme changes in direction. How well is the Movi likely to handle these sort of demands?

2. Christopher Futcher

Christopher Futcher New Member

I'm thinking of doing the same. There is only one way to find out.

3. Angus Benson-Blair

Yup, but with that amount of cash being invested in the gimbal, I would like to get a rough idea first if you know what I mean!

4. Christopher Futcher

Christopher Futcher New Member

I know exactly what you mean and feel the same way. I'm pretty sure it will be able to handle the wind on an RC helicopter because the pressure will be applied evenly unlike pushing it out the door of a full-size helicopter into the slip stream where the wind will be applied very unevenly. Plus CopterKids are flying a brushless gimbal close to 90 mph and reporting that it went very well. What platform do you have in mind?

5. Andrew Griffiths

We tried shooting from the skids of an AS350 and found the Movi's brushless motors could not cope with airspeeds beyond 40knots (remembering that also includes downwash from the main rotor). Not sure about an RC heli. No doubt the RC would have the advantage of a smaller rotor disc and reduced downwash but I can't see this would be any different to the downwash produced by a full loaded multirotor. Placement and shielding on the RC Heli could go a long way to reduce the effects of downwash but there's not much you can do about that pesky headwind.

I'd be curious to see results of airspeeds beyond 40 knots. PLEASE post! :)

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

I think the easiest way to test this would be going out from a sunroof and speeding up the car. Anyone with movi and a car with sunroof? :)

Andrew Griffiths likes this.
  7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Angus you mention single rotor 'aircraft'. Can you be more specific? Suggestion on another post is that the camera should be kept out of any propwash. Same applies when shooting any video outside a Helo/AC. Unless you have a Cineflex or equivalent either slow speed hanging outside or highspeed staying inside.

8. Angus Benson-Blair

Well, here is a photo of the heli with the Cinestar 3 axis- direct swap intended with the Movi. What do you reckon? View attachment 3424 Equipment Rush-720wide.jpg

9. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Just an opinion Angus but if you can fly that rig today and it does what you want I don't think you are going to have trouble with the MōVI MR with the same setup.

10. Angus Benson-Blair

Thanks Gary. We did this photo purely for a photo shoot. We tend not to use this as the 3axis isn't steady enough however a Zenmuse Z15 (old) modified to carry a GH3 works well.

11. We have had a few MoVI customers post videos of the MoVI being held outside a car and/or van at 60+ MPH. That is not an official Freefly claim but one that was given to us.

Hope that helps.

12. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

I would lose the landing gear foam wheels. Lots of unneeded drag on the yaw axis

Tabb

13. Angus Benson-Blair

Hi Tabb, I guess because of your glorious weather that you have never tried to land in a soft field. Without the wheels those legs just dig into the dirt and cause tip overs on takeoff from the mud sucking onto the legs.

14. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

LOL - never land your MōVI in mud! Always pack a lightweight takeoff / landing pad. I think my MōVI has a more posh lifestyle then yours ;)

Actually I was landing in snow a few weeks ago and wishing I had some little feet on the bottom....point taken!