/dist/images/branding/favicon

Invert Tilt Question and Tilt/Tilt CG Question

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Nick Rubino-Bradway, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Nick Rubino-Bradway

Nick Rubino-Bradway New Member

I'm working with my first client tomorrow morning and we did a camera test today. He wanted to know how to correct the tilt so that it was not inverted. i.e. so that moving the joystick Up actually tilts up and then down/down.

In the Freefly App Do I want to go under "Remote Operator Config" or "Remote Controller Config" and then which submenu would I use to change this feature.

Also, a quick question re. balancing the Epic. Right now we have the Red Epic X with Side Handle and a Zeiss Super Speed lens on it. We also have a Bartech FF running from a baseplate. The problem is, no matter how slight the adjustment, we can never seem to accurately balance the Tilt with the Tilt CG axis. I started by lowering the bars all th way down so I could find accurate tile, which I'll be honest was a little difficult but manageable, but then trying to achieve a balance with the Tilt CG was impossible. It never stayed still, it either was top heavy or bottom heavy, and there were a few moments when I felt the Tilt CG was on and would have stayed but it was getting thrown off by the regular Tilt of the camera being too far forward or back, which seemed to be balanced more than fine a step ago.

One last thing. Are there any suggestions re. snugging the hex screws at the top of the assembly that you loosen for the Pan balance. I would tighten them as much as I possibly could (while supporting the camera from the base to make sure they were really snugging, but then when we would tilt the camera, the connection point at the pan balance would slip, I'm assuming because the screws weren't snugged enough, and it would throw the MoVI off balance.

Any help you guys could offer would be tremendous! Sorry for posting this on the boards, I just need as much info as I can get before this shoot tomorrow morning and I've also emailed this to support@freefly.com.

Thanks so much in advance!

Nick

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I actually have tutorials on two different ways you can do this.

A somewhat "permanent" solution:

or a solution that lets you easily switch back and forth:

3. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Nick:

1. To invert tilt go into Remote Controller Config and change the Map Remote Tilt from -3 to 3. This will switch the tilt control
    2. To balance the Tilt Vertical CG I point the lens up towards the ceiling and then slide the tilt bar up / down until the balance is neutral. See the video below. Make sure to balance tilt fore / aft before moving onto tilt vertical. If you dont it will make balancing tilt vertical CG difficult.
    3. Tightening Pan knuckle - you can support under the camera a bit to take the weight off the screws as you tighten, this will help a bit.

Hope that helps!

4. Nick Rubino-Bradway

Nick Rubino-Bradway New Member

Hi Austin and Tabb,

Thanks so much for both taking the time to answer the questions, it really made a huge difference on today's shoot. Looking forward to applying some of the minor techniques i missed like checking the vertical CG axis with the camera still pointed up. I would adjust the vertical CG and then point the camera forward and check, which may have lead to why I had a hard time landing proper balance.

Anyway - appreciate the help and look out for a commercial from Iberia Airlines in the next month or so called "Chase the Sun", all New York City shots were done with the MoVI. And the MoVI is absolutely fantastic, Tabb - congratulations to you and the team at Freefly!

Nick Rubino-Bradway

5. Joe Loncraine

Joe Loncraine New Member

Hi guys, we are having major slippage problems with the pan knuckle using the Movi on a boat for shooting dolphins. It was working great but the weight of the epic is making it slip. We have tried so hard to make it tight we have lost all grip on the top of the screws and lots the thread on one.

If we were to put a permanent screw through the pan knuckle is there any way we could get balance on the pan using counter weights in other places on the camera/movi?

Or if you have any other ideas I would be most appreciative.

Wing nuts would be a much better way of adjusting the pan knuckle no?

Thanks
    Joe

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Joe: Not sure whether you're in the USA or not, but a lot of folks are taking today as a stealth vacation as Thanksgiving Day was yesterday and they're "bridging" the vacation to the weekend.

That said, I suspect you may want to send an email to support@freeflysystems.com about a replacement knuckle -- they'll be open for business again on Monday Pacific Standard Time.

You can certainly get a balance using counterweights although it increases the AUW that the MōVI op has to carry, of course. :(

Sorry I can't be of more immediate help.
    Andy.

7. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

would be nice to have some ruler markers to help keep track of the balance positions