/dist/images/branding/favicon

Question on the Principles of Balance for different cameras & the GUI

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Nick Rubino-Bradway, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Nick Rubino-Bradway

Nick Rubino-Bradway New Member

Hi there,

So I have my first shoot with my MoVI next week, and the client would like to see a camera test. I currently only have access to a Canon 7D, and will be shooting on the Red Epic next week.

I've shot a few camera tests with the Canon 7D with the MoVIs default settings, and the footage does appear a little wobbly, like it's not translating the motion that well. I figure the principles are the same with the steadicam? The heavier the equipment, the greater the center of balance, the smoother the footage?

However, since the MoVI is actively stabilized using the 3-Axis motors, and since these stiffness and looseness of these motors is set inside the GUI, I'm assuming that in order to achieve smoother footage, I'll need to stiffen or loosen the Pan, Tilt and Roll motors differently for each camera. Right?

So two questions - First, in terms of the Majestic Configuration, does increasing the Value of the smoothing tighten or loosen it? I'm just trying to understand the relationship between the Values in the GUI under Majestic Config as they relate to the MoVIs ability to translate motion properly in order to counter the motion of the operator.

Second, does anyone have some general guidleines from expierence as to what a good range is for something as simple as a 7D only weighing about 2.4lbs? Do you have a good range for the Red Epic with Wireless FF setup and lens coming in around 10-12lbs?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Nick

2. Hi,
    Yes, you will have to adjust the stiffness settings to account for each camera/lens combo.

In the 'Majestic Config' section of the APP, which Value are you specifically changing? Pan Smoothing? Pan Window? Tilt Mode? Tilt Smoothing? Tilt Window?

Thanks,
    Chris

3. Nick Rubino-Bradway

Hi Chris,

So I toyed with it a bit and I may have gotten a few things mixed up, here is the issue I'm facing and the question.

I was adjusting the Values in the Majestic Config tab, but it looks like what I wanted to adjust was under the Tuning tab. I noticed that my horizon wasn't even when I was playing back the footage, and I checked the balance of the camera on the gimbal to make sure it was spot on. The camera was good, so the assumption I made was that the motors may be a little to stiff or tight, which may be resulting in a rocking image. I initially adjusted the settings under Majestic Config Tab, but that was probably a mistake, right? Are my following assumptions correct:

1. Adjusting the Stiffness under the Tuning Tab will adjust the stiffness or looseness of the Pan, Tilt and Roll motors, which you want to adjust to help the computer compensate for translating the motion of the camera. i.e., if the tuning is either too loose or too stiff under these settings, it will result in more of a rocking (loose) or shaky handheld (stiff) look rather than a properly smooth image with an even horizon (I know the other factor is the smoothness of the operator and his/her ability to translate the vertical motion of the steps he/she is taking).

2. Does adjusting the Value from 10-20 stiffen the motor or loosen it?

3. Under the Majestic Config Tab, the changing the Pan/Tilt smoothing adjusts the rate and smoothness at which the Pan/Tilt bevels in or out of a position on the gimbal. I think I understand what the Pan/Tilt Smoothing adjusts, but I'm a little confused as to what the Pan/Tilt Window adjusts.

Basically this is all about understanding how to setup the MoVI to achieve an "even horizon", without, of course, taking into account the skill of the operator.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

4. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Nick, a good example for you.

Set your settings for roll/pan/tilt to zero and put pressure on the gimble, see what it does, then set them way higher and see what it does.. Rather then telling you what does what, it's best if you feel it and find out very quickly.

Eventually you want your numbers to be as high as they can get without the motors going wacky. Make sure you do this while either holding the handles on the stand or in your hands while someone else adjusts the motors.

Next- test.

Set it really low, shoot a test and see if you see more or less wobble. Then set it higher.

Us telling you what those settings "should" do will not help you as much as doing a 15 min test on your own..

Hope that's not to vague.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Nick have you watched all of the MōVI setup videos? Primarily you want to start from the defaults, work on Pan, Roll and Tilt taking each one up in values from the defaults until you get chatter and then back off. Stiffness will on Pan, Roll and Tilt will be highest on pan and lowest on the tilt with roll someplace in the middle. You can also get higher settings if the MōVI is being held by someone when you do the tuning. If you are in the stand hold one of the side handles. This dampens the resonance which is what will happen while it is being used.

Can you post your current Pan, Roll and Tilt settings?

Also the values will be much higher for the Epic. If you do a search through the forum look up posting by Brad Meier who posted some of his typical settings.

6. Nick Rubino-Bradway

Hey Gary,

I have only had the chance to get through some of the setup videos, which was probably my primary mistake. The process for setting up the MoVI and balancing it does make sense now, my initial questions were based off of some misconceptions and incorrect assumptions about how the MoVI balances the camera and translates the motion. The long and short of it is that I took the advice of yourself, Chris and Justin (thanks guys!) and brought the gimbal settings to the point where they were osciliating and then backed them off a bit. I do have one follow up questions here:

I noticed that the MoVI does make a bit of a grinding/hissing sound when I back off the motors after they start osciliating. So for example, my Pan Stiffness would start oscillating around 110. It would stop oscillating but continue to make a hissing sound down to about 80, and then went mostly silent around 70. I remember seeing some videos on Youtube with Tabb and Vincent Laforet where they said the MoVI was "virtually silent", does this mean I should back the stiffness on my Pan, Tilt, Roll off to the point where they aren't oscillating but are still making a bit of an active, light sound, or should i back them off just to the point where they become silent?

In any event I ran another test after applying your suggestions, and it came out much, much smoother. I am seeing a little bit of rocking still in the shots where I am walking, but I think that's mainly the result of learning how to walk with the device to properly translate the vertical motion caused by my steps. Everything looks really smooth when I jog, run or sprint.

I'll follow up with some Pan, Roll and Tilt settings and an image of the current setup tomorrow - if you have any suggestions when you see it to smooth things out more that'd be great. I really appreciate the time and advice! This is easily the best piece of camera gear I've ever used and I'm really excited to work the RED with it next week.

Nick

7. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Nick after you back off the settings from chatter in a quiet room I don't hear anything from the motors when stationary. Maybe a bit if things are moving but that's it. I sometimes back off by a value of 5% and the let it all settle down. Then I induce movement. If it starts the chatter back off another little bit. So I would say shoot for silent.

8. James Adkins

James Adkins Member

In a related question, is it typical to have two optimum settings depending on whether or not you will be holding the rig by the two side or one top handle?

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Yes that is accurate. Less resonance being absorbed in a one hand hold.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

And you may even find that the two hand/one hand settings will still produce buzzing/oscillating when you park the MōVI in the stand (which doesn't offer much motion resistance. The message is, tune it for how you want to use it.

The Windows configurator app allows for settings to be preserved.
    If you need to do this on an Android with the current version of the Configurator App, you'll need to "root" the Android device, and automate the FF configurator app using an automation app something like Tasker. I'm about to do this -- alternatively, I'm about to brick an Android device if I screw the rooting part up. ;)

Andy