/dist/images/branding/favicon

Pan Balancing issues w/ Movi M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by George Russell, Nov 1, 2013.

1. George Russell

George Russell New Member

Hi, I was having issues today with my Pan Balance wanting to err to one side while in both Majestic and Airborne modes. Studied Tabb's tutorial on this procedure. Payload is just at 11lbs (stripped down Epic, Zeiss CP2 50mm, ARRI FF motor). Balanced rig, without cables attached, and had the main vertical support column nearly all the way to the end (of horizontal tube) and yet gimbal still swings lens heavy.
    Example, in Majestic mode, when wanting to smooth tilt up, the rig wants to unwantingly pan to either side so I couldn't get a tilt/forward looking shot well.
    Would my only remedy be to raise the Pan Stiffness level to just below it oscillates? I fear that this would place undue strain on Pan Motor(?). This device is awesome, but I would like to find a happy balance on this axis. Thanks!

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

George can you post a photo of your setup? Did you do both steps of the pan balance?

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

You said nearly to the end. With heavy payloads you will probably need to be all the way to the end. If pan is moving while tilting, you are most likely at too low of a pan stiffness anyways.

I'd say 1. Move the pan adjustment to where you need to get it balanced. Without balance you won't be able to get high stiffness settings before pan oscillation occurs. Low stiffness = pan movement in shots when you don't want it.

2. Once balanced increase stiffness until oscillation and back of 10% or so. The goal is to have stiffness as high as possible without oscillation. The number will be much lower if the system isn't balanced. Goes for any axis.

4. George Russell

Hi Gary and Brad. Much thanks for the timely responses! Here is pic of the rig. Yes I did perform pan balance on both axis (like the tutorial). Brad I did crank up the Pan Stiffness to 100 but no oscillation; thanks for your two points on the stiffness levels.
    Also, I do fear that there is some downward torque/pressure on the gimbal from the stiff cables. I will look into obtaining the thinner HDMI and SDI cables in your link in the Forum; this should help as well. Again, thanks

Attached Files:

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Hard to tell but looks like a couple of inches left that you can slide back if needed. But the stand is covering it up.

6. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Yeah, bad photo of that area but from where you have the pan knuckle I can tell that pan is lens heavy. You have at least an inch to play with behind the knuckle. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to get pan to balance.

7. George Russell

Hi gents, thanks for reply. Sorry I was able to find another pic of the Epic, and you're correct, I was able to slide it further out to the end of the rod and the balance was much better.
    Now a different camera is cradled in the gimbal; the tiny Austrian made IndieCam 2KRAW video camera. It only weighs a mere 3.5lbs with the focus & iris motors. I'm having good results with it in underslung mode on a small jib arm. Thanks for the tips!

Attached Files: