/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

Hi Sean thats a good point but on counting the "poles" do we go with the magnets count on the bell or do we go with the wire coils count, the magnets count are 22 and the coils count are 24

GMB5108-02.jpg

2. Sean Haverstock

I've been told you count magnet poles and not the stator. And those figures would be consistent with what the manufacturer lists for their pole count (22). But maybe others can chime in and verify.

3. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

Hey Sean good catch indeed! It's clearly 22 poles when you calculate from the image, still don't know if this is the problem because it was working like a charm with the wrong pole number. Will try the right setting tomorrow and also recalibrate IMU and see if that fixes the pan issue. Thanks again!

4. Sean Haverstock

Hey Lauri, it's unlikely that your issue is pole count but I thought I might point it out. The auto calibration is rarely correct anyways. For your issue, it might be worth trying to check or uncheck the invert box for PAN. See what happens!

5. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Like Sean said or just switch the wires around for the pan is easier than connecting to the PC.

Bill

6. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

Haha you guys won't believe what was my so called pan problem :) I tried re calibrating and corrected the pole settings for the motors and nothing. Then I tried holding the gimbal with wider handle with my both hands just how I did my first tests and suddenly it was working again. And it was not, it had been working all the time :D:D I just could do very fast movements for the pan axis with just one hand twitching my wrist and that's why I came up with this illusion of my pan axis not working. And yes technically the pan axis wasn't working because I could twist it so rapidly that the motor was always lagging behind and that's why it felt so strange like it was fighting back. So all good again :D:D

By the way, anyone knows where I could get a spare IMU cable, the one that came with Armbgc board is very flimsy. Already broke it one time :(

7. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

And yes I do feel like an idiot :)

8. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

9. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

10. Jose Luis Ocejo

Jose Luis Ocejo Active Member

[quote="By the way, anyone knows where I could get a spare IMU cable, the one that came with Armbgc board is very flimsy. Already broke it one time :([/quote]

Hi Lauri first I would immediately order 2 or more cables from ArmBGC and wait the 20+ days for them to arrived make sure you order the 45cm long one
    Second very carefully enclose the one you have with the most flexible expandable mesh sleeve http://www.techflex.com and some shrink tubing
    third search and order more possible backup options like this one, I order some to see if I can make my own I have not receive it yet so I don't know if this connector/cable would work, ideally it would be nice to get the raw connector and crimp the cables on my own they are so tiny
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/121193022794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Lauri Hakala likes this.
  11. Sean Haverstock

12. Bill Collydas

My Latest built. The motor will be changed to 8108 and 8017 as soon as they arrive...Sweet
    Camera weighs 6.02 Kg

Bill epic2.jpg Epic.jpg

13. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Holy ****! Really impressive! congrats

14. Taylor Davis

Taylor Davis New Member

Bill,

Could I buy the parts for the roll and pan motor and belt assembly from you, or at least point me in the right direction to get them? It would be most appreciated!!

15. Bill Collydas

Is it for a Cinestar gimbal or Handheld?
    For the Cinestar you can get most of the parts from QC.
    For the handheld I have to cut the CF for you.
    What motors will you be using?

Bill

16. Taylor Davis

Taylor Davis New Member

It's for the Cinestar gimbal and all I need is the CF pieces for the motor and belt assembly, ie., the motor cages and brackets. Probably motors to handle 700-1200 gram cameras. What motors would you recommend?

17. Bill Collydas

For 700-1200 I would use the 5108-120T
    If you already have a Cinestar gimbal you have most of the parts. In addition you will need the CF plates for the motors
    Metal clamps, 40mm screws, aluminum shafts a 32t pinion and one of each 150t and 180t belt.

Bill

18. Taylor Davis

Taylor Davis New Member

Okay great that sounds good to me. Where is a good place to get the shafts, 32t pinion and the two belts?

19. Bill Collydas

Here is the diagram for the plate for the roll.
    You can make it from a 3mm carbon.
    All dimensions are 1:1

Bill

Attached Files:

20. Bill Collydas

The belts you get from QC. the pinion from SDP/SI look for MXL 32T pinion.
    The shaft someone has to make it for you. 1/4" diameter and the hole spacing is 12mm.

Bill