/dist/images/branding/favicon

First flights with GH3: success (GPX file attached)

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Maller, Jul 17, 2013.

1. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

just baught a gh3 because I got to fly one last week in sonoma for levi's grand fondo, footage was SO awesome, better than 5dmk3 with a 3000$ lens, I used a 150$ 14-42mm lens and it harvested double amount of viable footage.

Elliott Dunwody and Steve Maller like this.
  2. Elliott Dunwody

Elliott Dunwody New Member

Great! What was the camera hanging on gimbal wise?

E

3. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

4. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

We've been using the GH3 now since it came out and we are very happy with it!! It's hard to justify its small appearance but we've done aerials with it when the ground work was done with RED shooting in 4k. It can never compete with something like the RED, but its a great camera!

All aerials here is shoot with the GH3 (rest is with the EPIC and SCARLET)

Go get one!!!

G

5. Shaun Stanton

Shaun Stanton Active Member

I just bought its predecessor the GH2 just recently, we put flowmotion hack on it. Flew it last night, in some rocky terrain I ever taken this thing. It has awesome low light performance. I need a little faster glass and wider lens because of the crop factor but its able to do pretty good with a 28mm on a Cannon EF adapter.

6. Gustav Raberg

Gustav Raberg Member

The GH2 is a great camera but it's a shame you can't shoot 1080/50 (60) with it! And the hdmi out is a nightmare. But the hacks you can get for it is awesome! We still use ours from time to time!!

7. Shaun Stanton

Yeah thats my only gripe with it is only getting 24P on the HDMI. I think I might have a work around for it although it wont be an elegant solution. Going to try a board camera mated to a view finder that snaps on to the large LCD screen so it wont even use the HDMI. Not Ideal but the only thing I think of that may work other than a board camera as the aiming camera using tape on the monitor.

8. Shaun Stanton

After talking some career DP's who actually have done features seen on the commercial silver screen. Panasonic had no intention of the GH2 to be a contender in a pro market. They sure didn't intend it to win the digital shootout against RED epic and coming in under the Arie Alexa!:p . Supposedly, the principle engineer on the project utilized a CMOS sensor that was being used on their pro line of cameras. My understanding is that they realized the GH2 was viable camera for pro work they incorporated the features of the GH2 Hacks into the 3. They are using a SONY sensor in the GH3 and put a better processor that can handle the 60P output on the HDMI.