/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Mario de Roos

Mario de Roos Member

I think the best advice is to wait a few months ;)

2. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Why wait, jump in right now and get it done. That's where the fun is.:D

3. RICHARD DEFARIAS

RICHARD DEFARIAS New Member

HEY GUYS HOW ARE YA?
    i am building a brushless gimbal for my oct 1000, i will buy all the convert kit online, but i have no gimbal right now
    can some one tell me the cinestar gimabal dimension of the tubes? i think its 7 tubes right?
    I tried to look online but cant find it

thanks

teco

4. Marco Godles

Marco Godles New Member

What weight are you using with the 5S battery? do you know if the Alexmos v3 supports 6S batteries?

5. Kenny Blum

Kenny Blum New Member

Can someone point me a to source for a brushless gimbal motor shaft extension that I can use for adding a gear reduction pulley? I am going to use an ipower 5108 motor for the pan axis on a belt drive. Not sure how to adapt the gear to the motor. The motor I have does not have long shaft, otherwise I might be able to use a coupler.

6. Bill Collydas

Quadrocopter sells them they are 25mm and come in different lengths.
    Check here http://www.quadrocopter.com/FreeFly-CineStar_bymfg_13-0-1.html

Bill

7. Urs Clement

Urs Clement Member

Hi there! Soon my 3axis Gimbal arrives =) As i've learned from this thread (thx a lot, very interesting discussion!) i will power it with a 5s with 20.7V. i'm going to use the 5108-120T motors to handle my nikon D800 with 35mm fixed F1.4 lens. I have a 3 axis Alexmos Controller, but now you guys we're talking about using 2 different controllers for tilt and roll. I use the Copter for photogrammetry, so i really need to tilt down 90°.

Does it really make problems for the sensor when you tilt down 90°, so shall i order another 2 axis controller for the tilt? Or does anyone has made good results with it?

Thank you for your answers!

8. Kent Snyder

Kent Snyder New Member

hi guys,
    I have two alexmos 2 axis controllers. I wired them up just like in the diagram. http://www.simplebgc.com/files/v10/SimpleBGC_connection_diagram_2x.pdf
    I want it to follow like in this video.

it is just not working. I don't know where to put the second sensor for the pan. now I have it up on the top bar with the handles.
    when I turn it on the pan is not stable it moves all over the place.
    can anyone help me. I am going nuts trying to get this to work. I am beginning to think that it two boards cant work
    thank you for any help
    kent

9. kjetil tønnesen

you have to mount the pan sensor on the roll bar and then you have to calibrate the sensor and juse the auto butten
    and you have to mount it the same way like the tilt roll sensor

try this

10. Kent Snyder

Kent Snyder New Member

Thanks kjetil,
    I have a quick question though, in that video when he turns to pan the cameras slowly follows. here is my question, if the sensor is not on the top bar how does the motor know where to move to?so I have the sensor mounted on the roll bar with the z-axis up is that right?thank you again your help!
    thanks
    Kent

11. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

Hello all,

So I finally converted my CS gimbal with the conversion kit from brushlessgimbals.com and everything went smooth. I'm using the 3-axis "all in one" board from Armbgc. So I put some recommended PID settings in for a starting point and got pretty good results. Here's the first test video holding it in my hands after this fast setup: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12790890/brushless/brushless_1st_test.f4v

Then I did some PID fine tuning and also did the advanced IMU calibration, still everything worked great, even better. Also the yaw follow was working good. Then I decided to mount a handle to the pan axis to try the gimbal with my bike and suddenly the pan motor started acting weird, it didn't really stabilize the movements any more, more like resisting all the moves I did. It feels like I can feel the magnets fighting back. If you move the pan axis really slowly it almost manages to stabilize but still I can strangely feel the motor fighting back. This got me really frustrated because it was all working really great and suddenly my pan was messed up.

I'm using 4s battery and also tried 3s today without any results. There's no receiver connected to the alexmos board. Motors are iFlight GBM5108- 22N24P.

Thanks for all, hope that someone can help me out.
    Couple of pics of my setup, tilt and roll are both in perfect balance:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Morgan Friedland likes this.
  12. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Hi guys, I have decided to buy the conversion from BrushlessGimbals.com also.
    Is the 5108 strong enough for direct drive pan with a gh3 and 12-35mm lens, just under 900grams.
    Is there an advantage to running 2x alexmos v2 boards vs the Alexmos v3 board which supports all three axis? Does the v3 board supply enough current? was it jus the v2 board with the 3rd axis extension?
    Is the 5108 the optimum motor for tilt and roll for a GH3 set up?
    Is the bluetooth module quiet good? Any issues?

Are armbcg and Arielpixels reliable shops to buy the alexmos board from in the US?

I understand I need to buy
    3x motors + cages
    Alexmos board v3, 3 axis
    3 torrid rings for the motors
    Torrid rings for other cables?

Do i need anything else extra to set it up, like extra extension cables, Protective cover for alexmos board?

13. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

Hi guys
    last week i put cinema lens(1.2 kg) on 5D. it work well. Im using 4s, upgrade motor with 200T on roll and pan. Tilt using 180T
    Now Im convert it to steadycam & renting to several Video/movies production, they love it.
    For my aerial rig Im using other brushless gimbal(from upcamera.com). After several modification, gimbal weight only 800gram, very light. It can carry 5D & gave me longer flight time(compare to 1.5 kg cinestar)

14. Ary Suryanto

Ary Suryanto New Member

Hi guys
    last week i put cinema lens(1.2 kg) on 5D. it work well. Im using 4s, upgrade motor with 200T on roll and pan. Tilt using 180T
    Now Im convert it to steadycam & renting to several Video/movies production, they love it.
    For my aerial rig Im using other brushless gimbal(from upcamera.com). After several modification, gimbal weight only 800gram, very light. It can carry 5D & gave me longer flight time(compare to 1.5 kg cinestar)

Attached Files:

15. Bill Collydas

Looks nice but I would change the plastic clamps to metal ones. Especially on the roll bar and the vertical bar. The legs don't need them
    Bill

16. Lauri Hakala

Lauri Hakala Member

Yes that's a good idea, these look nice also http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...r-T-connector-aluminum/109347_1310032457.html Don't know about the weight though. Bill do you have any idea why my pan motor started acting weird all that sudden?

17. Bill Collydas

Calibrate your board over and over and it will settle down. Some times is spot on but others it gets weird. If you hold the gimbal in your hand it will do that make sure is secure solid.
    As for the clamps they are good I have some didn't used them yet, I don't know how they will hold with a heavy camera but FF MoVi uses them.

Bill

18. Brandon Loeser

I had a friend that used them.... they slip. Not worth the money.

Lauri Hakala and Bill Collydas like this.
  19. Bill Collydas

Thanks Brandon good to know

20. Sean Haverstock