/dist/images/branding/favicon

Sony CX760V & Artifacting?

Discussion in 'Camera Operating' started by Chris Babiana, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

I shot some aerial footage with BOSS activated and when I reviewed it on the computer, I noticed some weird frame wiggle. Have a look at this clip and you'll notice it in the first aerial shot. Footage is unusable. I did some testing today and found that there was no frame wiggle with BOSS off. Any thoughts or experience on this?
    Expand the screen for a better look.
    Shot @ 125fps, BOSS on.

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris: How did you get the CX760V to shoot at 125 frames per second, please? I didn't know it could do that.
    Can you also estimate the time code of where this "frame wiggle" is in the first aerial shot -- the variable speed playback makes it hard to see what you're talking about.

Andy.

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Do you mean 1/125 sec shutter speed?
    I downloaded the original and had a look.
    There's definitely something going on. I have wondered for a while how reliable the BOSS system is on a copter, especially when there's little protection for the internal machinery. There's a lot of precision movements going on, and I can easily see how small bits of fluff could get inside the body and gum up the works. Not saying I'm sure that's what it is, but it sure sounds plausible. At first I thought it might be rolling shutter, but it looks more mechanical than that. But there also could be a resonance problem with some vibration on the copter.

4. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Steve, yes...shutter speed, my mistake. Camera is relatively new, flown 6 times. Copter and props are balanced. Wondering if I need to switch back to all red dampening rings. It getting colder and I'm running a combo of red and blue... Possibly causing a resonance?
    Andy, watch in vimeo, around the 12 second mark in both lower corners.

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hmmm. I downloaded it and imported it in to FCP7 so I can step through it from 00:00:12;00 to 00:00:15;00 frame by frame. I see no horizontal offsetting in the lower left or right corners. The high frame rate play back goes from 12;02 to 12;17, and then drops back to normal.

I must be missing something. Steve: what are you seeing? Can you give me a more precise time code?

Andy.

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I'm seeing some movement toward the bottom of the screen at the 18-19 second mark. Is that what you are talking about? If so its so slight I don't think anyone would catch it that wasn't "looking for it". I would disagree with you that the footage is unusable. Have you tried putting warp stab on it to try to clean it up? I always run everything auto except for focus and it's always done the trick for me.

7. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Dave, yes...that's what I'm seeing and it's driving me nuts! I dropped warp on it at 50% and 10% to see if it would make a difference and nada! It cleaned up the few twitches I had, but not that. What's that third party stabilizer software that can remove rolling shutter? (I'm back on the course reshooting as we speak and the winds decided to start screaming! Give me a break!)

8. John Butkus

John Butkus Member

Forgive my stupid question; What is the BOSS system?

9. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

John,
    Stands for Balanced Optical Steady Shot. The lens moves to account for shaky movements.

10. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Have you tried shooting with everything in auto except focus?

11. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

One thing I couldn't undestand clearly: Did you post stabilize the video?

If you did so, sometimes Warp Stabilizer causes this kind of weird stuff especially with the water. I think it can't track the video properly so it gives some weird movements after the stabilization.

12. Colin Snow

Colin Snow Active Member

Hi Chris - I get this shake too. I have balance and re-balanced the gimbal and tried a wide range of Radian roll gain settings (this thread) and still have not gotten that last bit of shake out.

Hi Andy - I shoot at 1080/60 125 fps. Settings are everything auto except MENU > Camera/Mic > Shutter Speed > Manual > 125 and SteadyShot > Active. I have tried it Standard but not Off to see if that eliminates the shake.

Hi Steve - I too wonder about this too. There are things about this system that I dont quite understand. I had a crash a while ago and it took a mild hit. For the most part it seems to be fully operational. I do notice two things: 1. When the camera is off and I pick up it up and shake it around I can feel the BOSS move. 2. When I power it on I can see the lens hunt for level and then compensate for shake. I assume #2 is normal but not sure #1 is. Do you experience #1 also?

Colin

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Colin: Sorry...my question wasn't clear...it's not 125 frames per second -- it's 1/125 of a second exposure at 60 fields (or frames) per second. :)

Andy.

14. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Dave, Yes...and yesterday I shot without using BOSS and the results were fine. Leads me to believe that may be the issue.

Ozkan: I did use warp stabilizer in post. Once at 50% and another time at 10%, jello-ish stuff was still there.

Colin: I experience the same thing with the BOSS movement.
    "When the camera is off and I pick up it up and shake it around I can feel the BOSS move. 2. When I power it on I can see the lens hunt for level and then compensate for shake. I assume #2 is normal but not sure #1 is. Do you experience #1 also?"