/dist/images/branding/favicon

How $7.00 almost cost me my bird!

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Gary are you sure that you trust a 45 amp connector when the typical Cinestar 8 is pulling between 80 and 100 amps?

2. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Gary it might be how they are rating the connects by the gauge wire and not by the connector themselves.

ANDERSON POWERPOLE® CONNECTORS
    The Anderson Powerpole® housings conform to the ARES and RACES standard and are designated 15, 30, and 45 amps. The rating of the connectors is by the wire gauge that the connector pins accept, and not the rating of the pins themselves.

A 15, 30 or 45 amp Powerpole® connector pin will actually withstand well over 100 amps without damage and close to 200 amps before actually causing permanent damage. The voltage drop of a Powerpole® 30 amp connector is approximately .016 volts at 37 amps.

http://www.wb3w.net/powerpoleinst.htm

3. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

4. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

I got my APPs from connectorpros on ebay, a 99.9% rating, Nice guys and threw in the pins for free when I asked about them. Alot of guys, including my ham Radio buddy, get them from Powerworx.com.
    There is a hole discussion about APPs on RC Groups: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1109771
    But it was this that convinced me:

The 45amp APP failed at 360 amps, go to about the 4:30 mark to skip the Deans! 360amps is plenty of safety margin for me
    The 10 gauge wire failed before the 45 amp APP!
    My Ham buddy told me they could handle 45amps at 120v, so at RC voltages they are good to 100 amps.
    Warning: there is nothing to prevent you from hooking them up backwards, just red to red and you are fine.
    Also to get the 8 gauge wire to fit into the plastic housing, you must trim the insulation a bit.