/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVI in the rain or even worse at sea!

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Rob Drewett, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Rob Drewett

Rob Drewett Member

Has anyone waterproofed their rig?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Rob how are you going to keep the camera dry?

3. Rob Drewett

Rob Drewett Member

Gary - I will probably use some cling film to wrap around the camera, I will be in the North Sea so no problem about over heating and just have to keep cleaning off the lens. It's not the camera I am worried about, it's the rig. It's the salt spray I don't want to get near any of the important parts of the MoVI. Has you ever had a rig weather proofed?

4. Rob Drewett

Rob Drewett Member

Freefly any thoughts to weather proof your rig?

5. George Russell

George Russell New Member

Aloha Rob, yes I have similar fears because I shoot here near beaches on Oahu and the salty air is relentless at times :(. I did take simple but effective camera paper tape (not the gooey kind like duct tape/gaffer tape) and covered all exposed connector ports. Yes, taping cling wrap around the sensitive electronics is a good idea as long as the main processor block doesn't overheat (esp. in tropical climates).
    When I was at Quadrocopters, in Montana, they did mention that some folks are taking a silicone spray to lay a protective film to their multi-rotor's exposed electronic panels. However, I haven't heard of any specific brand or successful technique. Please let us know if you have come across any technique with good results. Thanks

6. George Russell

Hi Rob, I noticed you checked out the Nano Protech silicone spray video. Did you try it or learn of another alternative?

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

George:
    Check the first document at http://rathergoodguides.com/documentguides.html

Andy.

George Russell likes this.
  8. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

Looks like the spray is the way to go. Seriously it's sounds scary from you landlubbers. But, when u are out at sea. It's almost as good as dumping yer rig camera in water except there's no depth pressure.
    Would be nice if freefly could do this test or some brave individual with a rig.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Let me just clarify something: George originally wrote that QC mentioned that "some folks are taking a silicone spray to lay a protective film to their multi-rotor's exposed electronic panels." It was that to which I was responding. I would not recommend spraying conformal acrylic spray on any part of the MōVI -- there are no "exposed electronic panels" on the MōVI.

I could see using plastic cling-wrap. There is a long tradition in the copter world of using shower caps too. But don't spray the MōVI!

Andy

10. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Guys,

I spent about 4 hours shooting in the rain last week. I just put a small plastic flap over the motor drive and everything performed just fine. I will try and get a picture of how the rig was setup!

Thanks

Tabb

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I trust you wore a shower cap, Tabb?

Andy

12. George Russell

Aloha Andy, your quide to a protective spray, for my MR, is very well done and the pics are much appreciated!
    Right, I would only spray the exposed panels on my Cinestar 8's panels and not on the Movi. I will plan to use some type of cling wrap and also camera "paper tape" covering some of the sensitive areas would help, as well as the protective flap that Tabb mentions.
    I would also take a damp cloth to the exposed tubing and give her a thorough wiping; I heard that salt air can be especially bad for the CF material as it could slowly work its way into the fibers:eek:.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Aloha George:
    Do you happen to have a link for the camera "paper tape." I suspect other forum members might be interested in the product.

Mahalo
    Andy.

14. nick hemphill

nick hemphill New Member

15. Chris Herr

Chris Herr Member

I did a shoot in the rain the other week. I borrowed some some clear packaging wrap (Available at Home Depot) that the Pursuit Car guys use to waterproof their flight heads. I individually wrapped each motor, leaving space for free motion. The camera was placed in a thin plastic bag. It worked great, and the nice thing about clear wrap is that you can wrap up a monitor and still see the image.