/dist/images/branding/favicon

Possible Adjustments

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Marcus Samperi, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Marcus Samperi

Marcus Samperi New Member

Hi Guys,

Trying to get this MoVi Rig on a high-brow feature film. They are using Red Epic with PV mount and G Series Anamorphic Lenses being controlled by a C-Motion compact. The total weight comes to 5.18kg, which is under the motors 5.4kg. If they add a ND filter on the front it knocks the rig up to 5.4kg. The rig balances fine (no problem with this) - however, the lens is quite long and heavy meaning that the centre of balance is well under the lens, with hang back. So much so that it hits the back of the rig. My question to you is:

1. Is it possible to lengthen the side rig bars? No more than 1 inch... Or, would this warrant the whole stability of the rig useless? I don't need much space and have utilised the full weight capacity. Thoughts?

2. How exact is the weight capacity. All the literature states 12 pounds / 5.4kg, but how much play above that do we have to play with?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks again!
    Marcus

2. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

I've run the rig in my avatar which was 5.25, I think the 'target weight' is very conservative. I did 4 minute takes with it with a fair bit of rapid translation.

I can't answer the other question but I'd be interested to know what power source you're using for the follow focus and where you've got it.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Post a photo of your setup. Any weight you can move further back? Is your focus controller near the back of the camera?

4. Marcus Samperi

Photos attached...

Attached Files:

5. Marcus Samperi

Hey Brett,

Powering the Camera, C-Motion and Teradek off a V-Lock plate with 2x 4-Pin XLR Outputs and a D-Tap... Strapping it on operator to remove any excess weight from the rig.

I hope that answers the question...

Marcus

6. Brett Harrison

Right, okay. I know Tabb would say lose the RED LCD because of the cable. If your tests show that it's adequate then go for it, however it will potentially show up on screen or limit what you can do on the set which is bad mojo for this tool IMO. And you'll also have the power cable from the battery belt to fight against too. To my mind that will harm the quality of your camera movement. Instead, use the transmitter to get picture to a SmallHD or just use a thin HDMI cable (but get a couple of them!).

As Brad has indicated, in order to clear the back you need to stack weight on the back of the camera, which means putting your transmitter and power as far back as possible - as well as the follow motor if possible. If you have access to a machinist I would consider making a vmount that can put a thinner battery towards the back of the camera (but not on the back, i.e. somewhere where the REDhandle would be, as in my avatar picture), or just go with RedVolts.

What's the weight of your lenses?

If you find that you are still hitting the back bar but you find the tilt range is acceptable, just program in max and min tilt ranges so you aren't banging it during shot - works well and if you are using those big cables, massive tilt range wont be on the menu anyway.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, please fire away any questions and also Tabb has a vmount accessory that he said will arrive in a couple of weeks.

7. Marcus Samperi

Thanks Brett,

That is an awesome idea regarding using a HDMI on-board monitor to remove the weight of the LEMO from the front to the HDMI port at the back. On this weight critical job, that may help. Although, I will probably have a battle on my hands with the operator who will be forced to use the Red Mote to control the settings on this shoot [as I will be on the remote control]

I'm thinking I will have the monitor transmitter/c-motion brain [both very lightweight] cable tied to the back of the top handle. The transmitter will be remotely attached to the Director / DOP monitor so that they can see the action. From my tests this does not limit movement of the camera. I can't have these two items on the camera itself because I am already at the 5.4kg limit, so the handle seems to be a better compromise.

I can't use Red Volts because I can not use the side handle for the Epic as it adds too much weight to the rig. The Epic is literally being stripped right back to bare minimum to fit into the weight limit. This is why we are going to try and run the camera power from a backpack or belt. As long as the wire is flexible and light I am hoping it does not affect movement [not tried this yet]. I am planning on having a meeting with a battery and cable supplier this week to see what I can do to get these things mad up because as we know the B1 > B2 Adapter that RED Make is about as flexible as a tree.

The lens weight/length is where all the problems lay. The 25mm I have on in the afore-posted image is 2.5kg and about 7 inches in length. These anamorphic's are hugely cumbersome and heavy. It means that the centre of balance is under the iris of the lens, pushing the who camera back. I will only have 1 motor attached [for focus] using a lightweight 15mm bar adapter mounted of top and a very small carbon fibre 15mm bar.

With the stripped camera, lens, motor, 15mm carbon fibre bar with adapter then the total rig weight comes to 5.18kg - I have then use the remaining 0.22kg I have added weights to the bottom of the camera. And should I add a PV size ND filter gaffer taped on the front of the camera, it knocks the weight up to 5.4kg - the limit. I reckon if I had another 0.4-0.5kg to play with then we could just be there. Is this possible? In your experience, is the 12 pounds / 5.4kg limit a conservative limit? Have you tested it above this limit.

Failing that, I noticed that the carbon fibre bars on the left and right of the rig (roll bars)... have screw threads. Can these bars be shifted forwards half a centimetre or so without compromising the integrity of the rig? This may give the space needed. At this level every millimetre or 0.1 kg matters.

Sorry for the long message... I'm just eager to get this worked out as this is potentially a massive high profile for us and the rig.

Kind Regards,
    Marcus

8. Brett Harrison

Can't respond properly just now as heading out to a shoot with a rig very near capacity :) It works fine, and my previous shoot was 200 grams below capacity. It's a very conservative limit. Try not using the handle and attaching it to the body of the camera instead. Look closely at the pictures. Using a cheese plate might help.