/dist/images/branding/favicon

Are lighter loads harder to balance?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Simeon Quarrie, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Simeon Quarrie

Simeon Quarrie New Member

With a 5DmkIII with grip and normal ef prime lenses, I have got the hang of getting static and dynamic balance. Stiffness on the tilt particularly struggles to get above 19-23. Oscillation kicks in regularly. But any figure below provides lousy balance. The system will regularly reset itself. When oscillation is not present on the stand, oscillation kicks in when I use the top handle to operate or just hold.

I see mention in the manuals and forum the of the use of spacers, though I see no examples of anyone using this. I tried, but balancing with spacers was a bit of a nightmare as they change the balance. Then I have to try moving the camera on the stage which is fixed because I used spaces to fix it there! Then I change of the size of the spacers and of course the balance changes and on goes the cycle! Also it's my tilt that figures that are struggling.

I am seeing you red epic and 1dc brigade, balancing with relative ease. Is my load to light? Is it like a steadicam? The heavier the load, the better and easier the balance?

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Simeon more weight does help but your settings are on target for that camera. Also try tuning with the setup being held the way you plan to shoot. The resonance will be different between the stand, single grip and two handed hold, etc.

3. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

It's not easier with a heavy load. Stiffness on tilt with a 5D will generally be between 20 and 30. What has me a little concerned is your statement "any figure below (19-23) provides lousy balance"... And the system regularly resets itself. By lousy balance do you mean stabilization? And describe what you mean by the system resets itself please.

I'm not sure what your referring to about spacers. With older 3 axis gimbals spacers were required for 5D setups to get the camera to balance but you have a MoVI which is an entirely different design. The clamp system takes all that out of the equation.

4. Simeon Quarrie

Simeon Quarrie New Member

Thanks for this. Putting out would be more accurate. It happens if the oscillation increases in certainty positions. At the freefly event in Amsterdam Sam Nuttman that a spacer / brace was a very effective way to increase stiffness.