/dist/images/branding/favicon

Roll Stiffness setting

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Travis MacRitchie, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Travis MacRitchie

Travis MacRitchie New Member

What #'s are you getting for this setting in the Movi App?

I'm using a fairly heavy payload of about 11 lbs, but my roll stiffness setting I have to turn way down or else I get oscillations when operating if I even roll the rig past around 10 degrees. Compared to my other stiffness settings which are quite high, this surprised me. I think I currently have it set to around 24 and it still oscillates in some situations.

2. Lee Dashiell

Lee Dashiell New Member

I believe that I'm set around 17 or 18 on the roll and much higher on pan and tilt.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Travis: Is the payload sufficiently well balanced that you can move it in tilt and roll to any arbitrary angle and have it stay there?

Andy

4. bevan goldswain

Pan: 29
    Roll: 36
    tilt:9

Any higher than those and I get crazy oscillations.

I have a very light load on at the moment. Nikon d800 with 50mm lens.

A question I have: is it purely weight that will determine the optimum settings? (more weight and the movi will need higher stiffness settings I presume)

Or is it a combination of weight and correct balance. ie: a badly balanced rig will require high settings than a very well balanced one?

I'd love to know what other settings people have settled on and for what loads.

5. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Pan should be 80 or so. Roll looks good but tilt is to low. Should be in the mid teens to low 20 range. Watch the videos for setup after resetting to factory defaults. Take time to balance carefully. When tubing hold one of the handles if you are in the stand or better have the MoVI operator hold it since you can get higher values with the natural resonance being damped with hands.

6. bevan goldswain

I think my balancing is almost 100% perfect.
    I Did initially get higher values for stiffness, but then when doing some tests holding the top handle the oscillation got a bit crazy.
    When holding the side handles the oscillation comes down, but as soon as I hold the top handle again I need to lower all my stiffness settings. Is this normal?

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes more resistance with side handles than one hand on the center handle

8. Travis MacRitchie

Travis MacRitchie New Member

Yes, it more or less holds angle, especially in tilt. I've been purposely trying to avoid rolls as the oscillations creep up on me pretty quickly when rolling. I'm pretty certain my balance is close to perfect. I will do some more experimenting on tonight's shoot.

9. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

For the EPIC I usually get settings around:
    100 for Pan
    60 for roll
    50 for tilt

These are off the top of my head and vary quite a bit depending on camera and lens choice. One important point is that it is CRITICAL to get your stiffness settings as high as possible to acheive maximum stability.

Tabb

10. Simeon Quarrie

Simeon Quarrie New Member

A useful thread.

Any guide on using the gyro and output filter Tabb? I an effort to get higher stiffness figures, I fiddled with the gyro and output figures and it my stiffness improved, but I have no real understanding of what these do.

Also, there was nothing in your videos that I saw that covered acceptable oscillation. Ie. I was assuming something was really not right when's was getting oscillation on the top handle or on the stand. I have later seen that this may be a normal scenario? Do your team manage to balance with no oscillation occurring in any circumstance on a shot?

11. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

There should be no oscillation when shooting. Any amount of oscillation will be noticeable in the footage. Tune for what your using it for. If handheld, hold while tuning.. On the other extreme end, if your going to throw it in the stand and use as a remote head on sticks, you'll have to reduce stiffness. But at the same time it wont matter because the rig isn't moving. If you take the handles off and hard mount it to a vehicle etc, different stiffness, etc.

When tuning for handheld Ill always get some oscillation in the stand. For this reason and to conserve battery, I always put the MoVI in standby mode via the transmitter. Wake it up again when your ready and go.

FYI: Handheld with 5D3 & 16-35 Pan 100, Roll 47, Tilt 24. Airborne MR on a Cinestar, same setup I can run Pan up to 125.

12. Simeon Quarrie

Simeon Quarrie New Member

Perfect Brad. This is so helpful. This is what we have jus started doing. We just weren't sure if what we were doing was a good practice.
    The part didn't realise was that we could tune it whilst holding it. I was sticking so rigidly to the videos where Tabb Balances on the stand.
    Thanks again

13. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Balancing, yes in the stand. Tuning.. sometimes better when your holding it to get a feel for what your changes are doing.