/dist/images/branding/favicon

Loss of Tilt Control During Flight

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Louis Wilsher, Sep 29, 2012.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Whoa! First off, thanks for such a detailed posting. (I note the weather in .dk is no better than Portland, Oregon).

Just as a minor correction, as I understand it, the GR-24 (presuming you've enabled PPM/SUMO) will be talking PPM to the pan sensor, then the pan sensor talks S.bus to the roll, which also talks S.bus to the tilt.

This correction in no way alters what your seeing, but you will note in the diagnostic window of the Radian software that the appropriate check boxes are checked.

From what your seeing, it almost looks like a power supply/noise problem. Do you happen to have a spare BEC you can try? I'm grasping at straws because I've not seen this kind of behavior before.

Also, are the GR-24's antenna wires close to the BEC? (If it's a switching BEC it's going to be kicking out some electrical noise I suspect. Again, that's pure speculation, though. I'm going from the video at 01:37 - it looks like you have the GR-24 on the rear leg close to a gold colored box that might be the BEC?

Andy.

2. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Hi Andy
    Yes here in Denmark good fly weather is very limited in the next 4-5 month. Your`re right about the BEC is sitting beneth on the back leg of the gimbal. I`ll try to move it, and see if it changes anything, but honestly I dont think so. Have tried earlier with another BEC 3-5amp, and I changed the BEC because of this problem.

I could not get it on the video, but sometimes I can just by touching the stick 1mm get the gimbal to shake/jump...just like a kind of reset...Very strange.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

What are the Radian sensor gains you are using? It didn't look like servo oscillation, but the touch/shake/jump makes it sound like it.

Oh, and be sure not to sneak up and surprise the gimbal. That will make it jump too. <evil grin>

Andy.

4. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Hi Andy

Here are the Radian settings.

Your`re a funny man ! hehe - dont worry - I wont scare it

Tilt:
    Gain 110%
    Slewrate 50
    Deadband 5%

Roll:
    Gain 110%
    Slewrate 60
    Deadband 5%

Pan:
    Gain 40%
    Slewrate 50
    Deadband 10%

But I dont think the settings, make the radians go bananas (like the video) - something else is wrong!

regards
    Bison

5. Steen Jensen

Steen Jensen Member

Hi again. Maybe JohnC or Tabb can comment on what is going on, with the loss of gimbal control and sudden jumps ?

regards
    Bison

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Bison, sorry I read this and forgot to reply!

I am a bit stumped on your problem. Can you try using PWM output (just on pan axis to test) from the Graupner just to see if you still get the random jumps?

Thanks!

Tabb

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry for the delay in responding, Bison. I was out on a shoot all day. The Radian settings all look OK. I'm at 50% on pan, but noticed some oscillation today, so I'll try 40% as you have.

I'm with Tabb, I'm not quite sure what to make of the situation -- my instinct is that it's electrical noise -- but that's singularly unhelpful for you because it's not obvious where the noise might be coming from.... I think Tabb's suggestion is the one to try.

Thanks
    Andy.