/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cabling to handles advice

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Justin Marx, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

Hey guys (and girls?)

Any advice in cabling to the handles would be greatly appreciated!

Also, is there a place that sells thin bnc and HDMI cables that are recommended?

Thank you.

-- Justin

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

HDMI from Freefly or Hyperthin. BNC not sure.

What other cabling do you need?

3. Justin Marx

Hey Gary,

Bnc is most important. What is the proper way to run the cable?

4. Justin Marx

5. Devon Campbell

Devon Campbell New Member

Hey, I havn't had to run bnc up to the bars but I have done so with power, I used a very flexible cable, roughly made it two feet and Velcro tied it to the bar, This is with an epic so it goes from 6 pin fisher to 4 pin xlr male, now I can just plug in short power cable to a battery belt. I think the same can go with bnc if it is flexible enough just might have to barrel it at the bar end. I'm still working on a way to keep the cable close to the camera as possible at the camera end which is why there is some black camera tape. And the reason I used a Velcro strap is because If the cable does get caught it won't hurt the motors

Attached Files:

6. Justin Marx

Interesting. Thanks Devon.

Looking forward to seeing what the Freefly boys can tell/show us. Unless its top secret ;-)

Thanks again..

7. Justin Marx

Would love some freefly guidence on this.

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Justin there are very thin cables for BNC that are used for radios. Google search mini SDI. Perhaps something using mini RG59. What are you trying to hook up?

9. Justin Marx

Gary, what's the best way to run the cable from the camera platform to the monitor?

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Justin there isn't any single way. To many variables. Try something, if it works great, if it doesn't try something else. You just want something that is not going to interfere with the balance/operation of the gimbal.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

As a general rule, if you can get the cable closer to the center of rotation on the pan axis, then it will twist on its long axis rather than sweep a wide area and foul on other stuff as the gimbal pans. That said, I've not yet found a sure-fire method of achieving this that doesn't (a) foul on some part of the M10 gimbal or (b) torque the camera by exerting external force on it.

Right now I'm working on bodge-taping the thin HDMI cable to the top of the camera around the hot-shoe (on the 5D Mark III) and from there up to a SmallHD DP7-Pro High Brightness (as a side note, that DP7-Pro is gorgeous but heavy....I think I'll be reverting back to the DP4 with sun-shield).

(Bodge tape? White PVC tape beloved of sailplane pilots for aerodynamically sealing wing roots, etc. Duct tape for sailplane pilots. ;) )

Andy.

12. Justin Marx

Gary, how about 1 way that you do it? My ways don't seem great.

13. Justin Marx

Andy, thank you for the advice.. It' just seems hard to Find a way where the cable doesn't seem to create resistance.

It's expensive, but would be nice to have the transmitter on the camera and add an additional receiver to avoid any cables.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I've been pondering whether creating a coiled cable would reduce flexing resistance and also allow a less-prone-to-fouling cable. The other alternative is visible if you look at the way that the tilt cables come out through the bearing on the MōVI -- but I've not figured out how to achieve that for pan-related camera to handle-bar cables.

Andy.

15. Joseph Mullins

Joseph Mullins New Member

when i needed SDI on my steadicam, i just went to radio shack and bought a cheap RCA audio/video cable (might be able to get just a cheap video cable), stripped the audios off of it and put a couple of RCA to BNC adaptors on it. super light and flexible and only like $8. i do have some CineCoil cables now and plan on giving them a shot when i get my M10 in and, if all else fails, do the radio shack thing.

16. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

17. Casey McBeath

Casey McBeath Member

We went with a Paralinx Arrow set up. HDMI so it works with most every camera that fits the cradle/weight.

1 transmitter, 3 receivers. Transmitter was bolted to a prototype Element Technica Side plate. And the handle monitor for the operator was set up with a receiver so there was no "Cross Wiring" as I call it. This still left 2 receivers for a focus puller and video village.

18. Jamie McIntyre

Jamie McIntyre New Member

I'm struggling with this also.

Got a C100 rigged up and trying to get a HDMI cable from the camera to a Ninja 2 without it causing any resistance or torque on the camera.

Thinking of getting an ultra-thin HDMI cable and wiring it straight up from the top of the camera to the top bar and running it along the top bar to the Ninja.

For now though, this is a bit of a pain.