/dist/images/branding/favicon

Oscillations tuning Canon 5d Mark III

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Bryan Vaughan, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

Anyone out there using Canon SLR package and can share tuning experiences?

I think I have the camera well balanced but I can't get much above 10 on tuning values (especially Tilt Stiffness) without significant oscillations. Word is I should be above 20 on all 3 axis.

Here is video of my balance and particularly Tilt CG. Camera bounce in movement in Majestic mode is my issue.

Here is video trying to get near 20 on tuning values:

2. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Try holding the handles when your tuning. When in the stand your allowing for a sort of resonance to build up and cause oscillations. You can leave it in the stand but just put a hand on one of the handles. I'll try to add photos of my 5D setup when I get back to it tomorrow.

3. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

I have pretty much the same setup and have been getting fairly low values for my roll and tilt axes as well, like around 15 or 20. I think in the tutorial videos Tabb was able to get some higher values there, although looks like he had a 1DC with cinema primes, which would be a bit heavier than our cameras.

With heavier cameras, should we see higher values for the stiffness settings?

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Yes, you will see much higher values with a heavy setup. Heavy Epic setups can be over well 100

5. James Leonzio

James Leonzio Member

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! Good to know.

6. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

I have held the handle while tuning. That will get me maybe 4 or 5 more points on the scale. But then if I let go, it will start to oscillate in the stand again. There is a subtle point where I can get slightly higher numbers that oscillate a little in the stand, that goes away as soon as I hold it and shoot.

Either way, support said I should be at 20 on all axis and I'm nowhere near that and posted examples where I'm getting lens drift in Majestic mode.

7. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Depending on your majestic settings, you may be getting pan and tilt drift there. Keep your majestic window up around 10 to avoid drifting while your walking. Also, with my experience with epic, 1dc, and 5D mounts I will always get oscillation while the M10 is in the stand. It's just the way the carbon resonates with high gains and only one attachment point. If you were to want to use it in the stand as a stationary remote head you could turn stiffness down as it's not as crucial in a static situation (like sitting in the stand).

8. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I just checked and mine are all over 20 for M10 setup with a 5D and 16-35.

9. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

Brad, support is saying there is an issue with the forward weight of the 16-35 and mounting stability; and that they are coming out with a brace for it. If I put my tuning to 20, the entire stand will literally vibrate off the table. And it is balanced. I did a side by side video test of Majestic tilt walking vs. Smooth Lock walking and Tilt window over 10 and there is definitely a difference. We are not planning on shooting in the stand but just resting it in the stand isn't practical when it is vibrating so much. Thanks for the feedback. I have no idea if there could be that much variability between units but I definitely want to get mine to higher stiffness somehow.

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Bryan:
    Sorry this is off-topic, but what's mounted in the hot shoe on the Canon, please?

Andy.

11. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

It's a wireless remote shutter release. We mount the thumb trigger up on the handle so you can start / stop recording easily while moving around.

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

That certainly avoids the cables torquing the balance as the camera moves. Which vendor's unit are you using, please? It looks like a solution I'll try.

Thanks
    Andy.

13. Bryan Vaughan

Bryan Vaughan New Member

Problem solved. And it was my fault.

All this talk of mounting stability and the camera lens mount interface being enough to add to oscillations started me thinking...
    I was thinking how the MOVI camera mount track probably needs to be more like a plate, then it struck me. When the MOVI came, I couldn't find a flat head screw to mount it so used a round head one in the last hole to allow plate clearance. AND I had one large washer under it. (see pics below).
    Result? Enough softness in the camera to rail mount to cause the extra oscillation. I just replaced the screw with flathead and moved one spot forward.
    My stiffness settings went from 10/11 to 30+!
    The 16-35 lens is still front-heavy for sure, but now my set up is much more solid.
    Wrong: stiffness limit 11
    photo copy 2.JPG
    Right: Stiffness 32
    photo copy.JPG

14. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

I was gunna suggest that next.. And just saw you got it. My 5D3 is set to pan 120 roll 47 and tilt 30. Haven't had a problem with the 16-35 but more support will always increase stiffness settings.