/dist/images/branding/favicon

Second LiPo Battery Mount

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by James Ng, Oct 7, 2013.

1. James Ng

James Ng New Member

To keep my Movi's weight to a minimum, I've opted to power the SmallHD DP6, Teradek Bolt and Redrock microRemote (with finger focus) with a second FreeFly Lipo battery.

I use a custom cable to connect all three devices (JST to Bolt Limo, to Redrock Limo, to SmallHD barrel connector) and at present the battery is attached wth Velcro to the top handle.

Tabb - would you consider making (and offering for sale) a replacement top handle connecting bracket which also doubled as a LiPO battery holder. It would replace the arrowed part in my setup below? Would be great if it could include a rocker on/off power switch with a male / female JST connector. This would to allow us to turn off all accessory power without disconnecting the battery.

For me this setup works really well as I mostly shoot with DLSRs or Canon Cinema EOS cameras which have their power so don't want to add a heavy vmount battery just for the accessories.

Cheers
    James

accessories.jpg second_lipo_battery.jpg

Kyler Zee likes this.
  2. Anton Ligaarden

Anton Ligaarden New Member

How much runtime do you get with that solution? Looks really smart.

3. James Ng

James Ng New Member

After 2 hours of continuous use, the Lipo was still putting out 15.1v - I could probably run for longer, but at that point, I generally swap over the batteries to avoid any running them too low.

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Nice James, Any reason you would prefer the lipo mounted here rather then on the crossbar?

Thanks!

Tabb

5. James Ng

James Ng New Member

Hi Tabb - a few reasons...

- I've been using a LiPo battery monitor to ensure the accessories don't over drain the batteries and I find their LED's less distracting, but still noticeable back here.

- When passing the Movi between operators it kept getting knocked when mounted to the top crossbar (I had it Velcrod to FreeFly camera mounting plate from Quadrocopter)

- When mounted to the back of the SmallHD, the extra weight caused the LCD to more readily work loose from its ball head mount.

- My accessories are located at both ends of the top crossbar so mounting the battery at the mid-way point made sense to me. This was the central spot the left the most clearance and gave clear access to the top handle .

Cheers
    James

6. Marcelo Borelli

Marcelo Borelli New Member

James, did you make this cable yourself?

7. James Ng

James Ng New Member

Yes it's a custom cable.

Freefly now offer JST to D-tap or 2Pin limo cables. They can be used with off-the-shelf device power cables / splitters splitters.

8. Joe Tamel

Joe Tamel Member

James... How do you mount the finger focus wheel to the redrock remote focus unit? Can you post pics? Thanks.

9. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I don't know how James does it, but I just use a Collins clamp from Redrock. The CC and fingerwheel are made to go together, and it CC fits on the handle of the Movi almost elegantly.

10. James Ng

James Ng New Member

11. Ben Huddleston

I have the same gear. What about the stiffness of that Lemo cable going from the base station to the FF motor? Isn't that constricting the gimbal's autonomy and compromising smoothness? If so, maybe we could make a little batch of ultra-flexible cables out of some high gauge silicone wire....

12. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

I have someone working on it. What would it be worth to have an ultra-thin Redrock motor cable?

13. Paul McCurdy

Paul McCurdy New Member

I'd be interested in this solution too. Both for the cables and the second battery mount on the handle.

14. Frank-Michael Krause

Hi you all,

can you please tell me how to connect the lipo with the redrock? I guess i cannot simply hotwire the battery to the redrock.

thanks for sharing
    Michael

15. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Hey Frank-Michael, you can get a JST to two pin lemo adapter in the Freefly shop. I got one just in case, then got a RedRock later and was very happy with myself. True story.

16. Frank-Michael Krause

Yeah, should have! ..... but ordering from Germany for a single cable is %$&&%$. :)

thx

17. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Oh I see, yeah well if you can source the connectors in Germany (surely) then you can get an electronics shop to wire them. Make sure you get the polarity right (it's NOT reversed).

EDIT: I am not an electrician so check first before doing this.

EDIT2: sorry for thread hijack.