/dist/images/branding/favicon

Using V-lock Batteries on M10 with EPIC

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Tabb Firchau, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Lee Dashiell

Lee Dashiell New Member

I'm using a V-mount on the top rail with a pigtail that goes down and connects to the Epic. I can then power the Teradek and Bartech from the D-Tap on the battery and mount.

2. Rob Seiffert

Rob Seiffert New Member

Hi Lee,

Any chance you can post a few pics of your setup? Where did you get the "pigtail" cable that you mention? How does it connect to the battery? Trying to figure out a convenient way to use the gear we already have and V Lock is what we currently use to power our epic and accessories as we'll.

Thanks!

Rob

3. Lee Dashiell

Lee Dashiell New Member

I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

4. Lliam Worthington

Look forward to them thanks.

5. Rob Seiffert

Rob Seiffert New Member

Thanks Lee! And any info about the pigtail and mount that you are using would be super helpful.

6. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

We are manufacturing these carbon adapter plates right now. Should be in the store and available shortly (targeting 3 weeks)

Tabb

7. Lee Dashiell

Lee Dashiell New Member

Tabb may know better than me but I like the idea of getting weight off of the Gimbal and onto the top rail of the Movi. We are running the V-mount with an extended Epic power tap on it along with the Teradek and Bartech follow focus. We power the camera, Bartech and Teradek off of the v-mount and the Movi is the only battery underneath. We've been traveling so I had to wait until we set up today to take a few pics. I'll shoot a few on set tomorrow with better light. 44.JPG 33.JPG 22.JPG 11.JPG

Kyler Zee and Joe Hell like this.
  8. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

This looks like the best setup, less weight on the gyro motors. how did you mount the batteries ?

9. Rob Seiffert

Rob Seiffert New Member

Agreed! Thanks for the pic Lee. I was wondering the same thing about the different parts used to make this a happen? To you have a v-lock plate that the power cae comes off of? Is it exie enough to not hinder the gimbal? Is the chord that you power the Bartech with the standard one that comes with the m-1 motor? Sorry for all the questions. Uncharted territory.

10. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Lee,

My concern with this setup is all the cords from inner to outer gimbal will cause drag and potential snags which will degrade the performance of the gimbal. It might work fine but it makes me a bit nervous. We tend to keep this a bit less cluttered with wires.

Tabb

11. Lliam Worthington

Thanks for the pics Lee.
    Are you using an old RED LCD cable for connecting the Touch? (non woven)

Tabb any news on producing a silicon cable for the RED touch? I've been told it's not a priority for RED, hoping it will be for you guys instead.

Best

Lliam

12. Carey Lee Coffey

I agree with Tabb.

13. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

how was the shoot lee?

14. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

i tired mounting on side and top the vmount batteries didn't work . not enough space to balance the rig.
    looks like side arm or lipo batteries is the only way to go for now . Any tips for wiring the lipo batteries and which ones to get?

15. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

I wanted so much for the vmount solution to work, but its too bulky and with the lightweight battery you don't gain much in terms of power. I had it rigged with a ptap Multi on the epic powering remote focus, and a ptap to ptap cable running from the cam to the handles to power for the monitor and wireless video.. Powered all fine and dandy. Just was a mess and sucked the battery and was an additional annoying cable.

Looking like lipo (for remote focus) and side handle is the way to go. I also don't like the cable sticking out in the back of the epic.

Hopefully Tabb comes up with something to make me eat my words.

Carey, if you mount the battery vertically you can't reach the power button :-(

16. Charles Lim

Charles Lim Member

my bad, i just noticed the allen key roll balance adjustment. possible to have v mounts included

17. Mark MacEwen

Mark MacEwen Member

Hi Tabb,
    What are the recommended types of batteries(i saw the IDX endure 7) have you guys tried any others ?
    is there a sort of maximum size, weight for the battery so that it still comes in under 12lbs, when used with FF and a CP.2 sized prime and gives 1h+ battery life ?
    Im just looking to start putting kit together for a shoot and see the freefly v-loc plate as as great addition, just want to check i can get the batteries easily.

18. Rob Seiffert

Rob Seiffert New Member

Hey Tabb,

Any word on this battery accessory?

19. Nils Ruinet

Nils Ruinet Member

Hi Tabb,
    Any news on this plate ?
    Would it work with these batteries ?
    http://www.globalmediapro.com/dp/A2...HW-R-Lithium-ion-Battery-95WH-for-Red-Camera/
    Their thickness is around 1,65 inches, weight 1,57 lbs.

Still trying to find out what the best way is with the Epic. Trying to decide between this setup and the "Redvolt in sidehandle + Lipo with D-Tap cable to power the accessories" option. Still not sure which one is best. I like the idea of powering everything from one standard V-mount battery, though.

20. Justin Marx

Justin Marx Active Member

I love the idea of powering it by 1 battery. Unfortunately I tried rigging it like Tabb has and the weight/distribution even with the smallest, lightest battery is too much, once you have your full payload including motors, etc...

I hope a solve is eventually found. Until then, its Lipos, Redvolts and a shit ton of chargers for me.