/dist/images/branding/favicon

Power Solutions M10

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Kevin Winkler, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Kevin Winkler

Kevin Winkler New Member

Ok there may be a post which this answered but I have been unable to find the answers I need.
    My M10 will be here soon, The components use power are what my questions is about, this is what I have ordered.
    Paralinx Arrow +
    AC7 OLED SmallHD Bundle
    DP4 Bundle
    Redrock Wireless follow focus

Now, I plan on using my canon lp-e6 batteries for the small hds, but Im curious about my options with the Redrock and Paralinx Arrow. I ordered them with the D-Tap options but im at a loss from there what my best option is....advice?????

Heres our rig!!!

2. Simeon Quarrie

Simeon Quarrie New Member

I know the feeling.

I am looking at powering my paralinx receiver on TX controller will be powered with a USB battery, used for mobile phones etc. Anker® Astro 5600mAh Portable
    The paralinx website recommends an alternative device that is more expensive, but I can't see why this cheap alternative won't work.

The paralinx on the m10 will be connected to the SmallHD DP4s canon battery supply.

The redrock ff on the M10 will be powered using lemo purchased from the freefly store and connected to the M10 battery.

I am guessing the the A7 OLED has its own battery options included. I will opt for the canon to match the DP4.

If I am wrong, I would more than welcome some correction! my kit is coming in piece by piece and fast.

3. Kevin Winkler

Kevin Winkler New Member

Wonderful! Thank you for replying, that is what I needed to know, I now remember reading about the lemo so that is perfect.
    I got my Paralinx yesterday. I will be getting the cannon mount for the AC7 to match. Would it be possible to power the receiver from its usb same as the transmitter?

4. Simeon Quarrie

I have just corrected my post slightly. The receiver on the remote control tx will be powered using the USB. U can do the same with the receiver. Also in theory you could power the transceiver and the receiver from the same power supply on the monitor. I am using an old monitor on my m10 controller winkle I hold out to see if Convergent releases the Odyssey 7. Hence it's cheaper for me to power using a £19 USB battery and use an existing monitor.

For me this is all theory and based on what I have gathered here. I would be happy for someone to let me know if I am correct.

5. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Hey guys,
    Wanted to share a bit of advice. Don't power the paralinx off the small hd 4" monitor. The transmitter requires 1 amp of power and the USB plug on the small he only serves .5 amps. It will work but you will lose range and signal quality. Currently I'm running a tv logic 5.6 display off canon batts and powering the paralinx in crossbow configuration with hdsdi with a mophie juicepack battery via a custom crossbow power to regulated 5v 2 amp USB plug. The mophie's are special cause they can provide a regulated 2 amp USB plug (hence why paralinx recommends them.) I've found that two juice pack pros will run the arrow in the crossbow all day.

6. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

If the main objective is to keep the weight low, the RC guys would try to solve this problem like this:

* Multiply the Lipo output with Y cables.
    * Throw in some BECs for your power needs: 5V, 12V and 7.2V versions available. Mostly a 5V and a 12V would be enough)
    * Monitor the Lipo with a small device. (You can search it "lipo battery voltage checker" )

This can look ugly; but I'm sure you can hide the BECs somewhere. The main problem would be the new power cables coming around.

Joe Hell likes this.
  7. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

This is very interesting input Eric as we were looking at doing exactly this with the DP4 and also running similar powerpacks to the Mophie for AC7 monitors. The ones we were looking at are made by ANKER (http://www.ianker.com/External-Batteries/category-c1-s1) and have larger capacity to the Mophies and are currently on sale with amazon. However the amp's vary depending on the model, from 2 to 4 amps. You noted that the 2 amp was important, would you be able to elaborate to help with choosing the correct ones? Initially we were going to power the Arrow transmitter via the DP4 but we are now not so certain. I have emailed paralinx and SmallHD for advice on this and also on whether the AC7's can be wired up similarly or not. Has anyone had any experience powering monitors directly from these USB battery packs? Some have 12V barrel output and are rated at 20,000 mAh. (www.ianker.com/product/79AN20L-SA) This seems a very good and economical power source to us but as yet no-one has mentioned it as an option which has me wondering why. Any advice would be appreciated,
    Cheers

8. Chris Fox

Chris Fox Active Member

G'Day Gary,

I think there may be some limitations in there, a 20000mah battery at only 500grams ... is very light, it sounds too good to be true, I suspect that a lipo battery and harness will give you the best performance.

I run monitors, and receivers from a lipo with barrel connectors, as quite a few others will do, and the solution is pretty light weight.

To step down the voltage for the parralinx adding in a regulator in line to the usb plug would be pretty simple.

Happy to share my limited knowledge to make a better solution.

Cheers

Chris

9. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hi, Chris, yeah we are a bit suspicious here as well, hence the post. However it gets good reviews and although it doesn't say it on the website, on the amazon shopping site it states it is in fact a lipo battery. The 20,000 mAh is physically quite large for the movi but other capacities are much more compact. However many only have 5V output via USB which I think may be the downfall for powering a monitor on the movi itself. But we are interested in seeing if anyone has experience with them working with external monitors for focus pulling etc. There are phone sized options with 10000 mAh at multiple voltages available. To us its seems feasible solution but would like others input and thoughts. We have contacted SmallHD and Paralinx with the same questions so we will update when they get back to us.
    cheers

10. Simeon Quarrie

11. Kevin Winkler

Kevin Winkler New Member

I got my movi today!!!!

There is a few things I have found.
    1. Running the transmitter off the small hd monitor does seems to diminish the range (still need to test more). I read all your power suggestions above, still unsure whats best for it and the receiver on the remote side. I would like to use the same type for both.
    2. Mounting the 4.5 small hd monitor...... I kinda have it rigged but need a better, adjustable option.
    3. I got the TX-Tray V1 with the screen holder goo.gl/4qCe4j Any suggestions on mounting the AC-7 Small HD monitor to it ???

12. Mike Duval

Mike Duval Member

Check out our setup with the AC7 and the transmitter tray in this thread here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/mounting-monitor-to-transmitter.2221/

Mike

13. Oscar Ubilluz

Oscar Ubilluz New Member

How Can I power A small hd DP4 or AC7 off a lipo like this? Anyone?

What Connections do I need? I know which lipo's but do I connect directly to lipo? or is there some extra wiring required?

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Oscar:
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "like this?"
    Could you clarify your question, please?

Andy

15. Oscar Ubilluz

Oscar Ubilluz New Member

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Aha. Now I understand. It looks like you got your answers on that other thread, right?

Andy.

17. Oscar Ubilluz

Oscar Ubilluz New Member

Kind of. I know which lipos to use, but I need help with wiring. With what cables do I connect? do I need a BEC? or do I just connect a lipo directly to the monitor with a barrel connection?

18. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Those are rather broad questions to answer, Oscar, but I'll do my best.

As Wolfgang said on the other other thread, the first choice is to determine what devices you want to power.
    From the other thread, I understand the devices to be (based on what's in the images):
    1. Small HD DP4.
    2. Teradek Bolt.
    3. Paralinx Arrow+

Then you need to determine the voltage ranges that these devices can handle, the power they require, and the connectors:

4. Small HD DP4: 5 watts, 7 - 18 volts DC, no connector specified so you will need to contact Small HD, but note that when I did a Google search for SmallHD DP4 power connector, I found this: http://store.smallhd.com/Store/DP4-Monitor-Accessories/Dtap-Barrel-45in)

5. Teradek Bolt: Lemo connector, approximately 4.5 watts, 6 - 28 volts DC. (I found this by doing a Google search for Teradek Bolt Specifications).

6. Paralinx Arrow+. The image shows it using a USB connector, so that tells me, from the USB standard, that it's 5 volts at no more than 500 milliAmps. Also note that the SmallHD DP4 (see the link above) has a USB auxiliary output of 5 volts.

So, with that in mind we now can see that you only need to have a short USB cable from the Small HD DP4 to the Paralinx Arrow+. Therefore we only have to worry about powering the SmallHD DP4 and the Teradek Bolt.

Both the DP4 and the Bolt can handle either a 3S or a 4S battery. A 3S Lipo has three cells, each of which, fully charged would be 4.2 volts, so a total voltage of 12.6s. A 4S, fully charged would be 16.8 volts.

Tempting though it is to use the 4S, there's really not much point. The fact that the DP4 and the Bolt can both handle wide voltage ranges telegraphs the fact they both have built-in DC/DC voltage regulators, so why give them a higher voltage only to have the voltage regulators dissipate more of the energy as heat?

So I would tend to go for the 3S.

We also know that the total wattage is 9.5 watts, plus the USB output. Assuming worst case, that's 5 volts at 0.5 Amps (as I mentioned above), so that 2.5 watts. So the total is 12 watts. Assuming a nominal LiPo voltage of 12 volts, that's 1 Amp of current draw.

Given that you want the whole system to run for, say, three hours, that would require a 3 Amp/Hour battery, aka a 3,000 mAH battery. Now you can do a Google search for Lipo 3000 mAH and you will find no shortage of batteries.

Of course, I'm assuming 100% efficiency of the LiPo, so you might want to look for a 4,000 mAH LiPo. You can also get 5,000 mAH 3S Lipos, and upwards.

How to connect both the Small HD and the TeraDek? Well a common standard (and the good thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from) is the D-Tap (aka P-Tap). SmallHD sells a D-Tap cable for the DP4 (see bulleted item 4. above).

A Google search for Lemo D-Tap cable also will yield lots of choices.
    Finally do a Google search for D-Tap splitter.

The last piece of the puzzle is how to connect the LiPo to a D-Tap. And here you go to the Freefly MōVI owner's store. Note: The connector on this cable is a so-called JST cable, so you will need to get the LiPo with a JST connector of the correct gender. Remember the rule (at least I think it's the rule), that the gender of a connector is determined by its housing not by its pins.

So the connections will be:

LiPo (with JST connector) --> to FF JST to D-Tap cable ---> D-Tap Spliiter.

Then from the Splitter:
    a. D-Tap to Lemo cable for the TerakDek Bolt,
    b. D-Tap to Small HD DP4 cable to the Small HD DP4,
    c. USB cable from the Small HD DP4 to the Paralinx.

You should also consider a LiPo low-voltage alarm that you can connect to the balance leads on the LiPo. Do a Google search for LiPo 3S alarm. Here's a typical one http://www.amazon.com/Vktech-Voltage-Battery-Checker-Warning/dp/B00CC82YMK -- depending on the LiPo pack you use you need to match the connector on the alarm to the balance leads. This shows a flashing blue LED when the voltage starts to get low, and finally beeps when it gets really low.

Hope this helps.
    Andy.

19. Oscar Ubilluz

Oscar Ubilluz New Member

It helps a lot. You are a hero. Thanks.

20. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Glad it helped. One point to be very careful of -- and that's connecting the battery to the D-Tap splitter with the correct polarity. You need to inspect the Small HD DP4 and the Teradek Bolt to figure out which is the positive side of the input. Double check this with a Voltmeter *before* you actually connect up the DP4 or the Bolt otherwise, if you get it wrong, the smoke will come out of the wires.

You will be VSF if this happens. Er....very severely fouled up.... ;)

Andy.