/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian/Tilt issue

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Bob Wojda, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

All,

As I turn the tilt control on the Graupner mx-20 (2-axis setup) all works fine for a while then the tilt starts acting erratically. I can see the slew changing in the Radian software when this happening. Attached is a quick iphone video of it.

PASSWORD: tilt

Any ideas what can be causing this behavior?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Bob: The Radian Mode is set to OFF. Did you mean for that to be the case?
    The twitching in slew might be caused by electrical noise.
    Can you share more details of how you have it set up? To do that, could you copy the first posting from here and then paste it into a new posting with your answers in this thread, please?

Thanks
    Andy

3. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Andy,

I did have the Radian mode set to off. In the on position it acutates the servo when it flickers like that. So it's doing what it should that way. It seems like there is a noise of some sort interfering but it's making the tilt really rough.

Aircraft Type: Cinestar 8
    Gimbal Type: Freefly

Radian Type ( 1, 2 , 3 axis) 2 axis - converted from a 3 axis
    Gimbal Power source: 3S 1200mAh to 5.1 v bec
    Gimbal Radio Type: MX-20
    Radian Communication Protocol (S.Bus, PPM, PWM, Spektrum)

Connections: Change these to match your setup
    Roll Sensor:
    Port
    2. to tilt module with y patch to Ch 9 of graupner
    3. Power in from BEC
    4. To Roll Servo

Tilt Sensor:
    Port
    1. Signal and ground only from ch 10 of graupner
    2.power from roll and signal from y patch graupner ch 9
    4. to tilt servo

Pan Sensor:
    Port

Symptoms:
    Tilt servo jerks and hesitates. Can see the slew on radian software changing in display when this happens. The bar should move from left to right without it blinking to another position

Steps taken to resolve:

Video of problem (this one is critical! If you can give us a good iPhone video with audio explaining what you are looking at we can usually resolve the problem very quickly. Please tell us what is going on in the video and at what time the issue happens.)

Please also do the following:
    a. With the gimbal powered off, connect up the USB and adapter from your PC to the Radian sensor to which you have the receiver connected.
    b. Power on the gimbal and sensors with the transmitter set to the Off mode for the Radian sensors.
    c. Use the Radian software, connect the Radian cable to the Radian sensor connected to your receiver.
    d. Click on the Connect button to connect to the Radian sensor, and check you have a connection.
    e. Click on the Read button.
    f. Take a screen shot of the Diagnostic and Configuration windows and post it to this thread with your response to Question 1 above.
    g. Then connect up to the other two Radian sensors in turn, do a Read, and take a screen shot of the Diagnostic Window and Configuration Window and post those screen shots too.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Bob try swapping the tilt Radian with the roll Radian to determine whether it is the Radian itself. Prior to doing that, unless you have done so already, reinstall the firmware.

5. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

That's a good idea. I have an extra Radian module that I'll place in there for testing. I thinking at this point that it's the radian.

Bob

6. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Just tried out a new Radian and it worked perfectly. That's the second radian I've had go bad on me. Thanks for the advice Gary and Andy!