/dist/images/branding/favicon

How $7.00 almost cost me my bird!

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Chris Babiana, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Brand new from QC, first time used inflight. Running dual QC 8000mAh.
    Thanks to the "MAN" upstairs, I changed my plans and didn't take her out over the ocean today! Luck was on my side for sure!

Attached Files:

2. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

3. Tyler Olson

Tyler Olson Member

wow. not exactly what you want to see

4. Scott Strimple

Yikes I was just getting ready order one... Thx for sharing

5. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Chris,

I will send your posted pictures over to the manufacturer of that parallel connector. This equipment malfunction is completely unacceptable.
    I'd like to send you a replacement part if you confidence isn't totally shattered.

Greetings,
    Adam

MIke Magee likes this.
  6. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Hi Adam,
    Even though not acceptable, I understand these things do happen from time to time. Thanks for replying to this post and taking the time to bring this up with the manufacturer. This will now be one more item on my pre-flight checklist! ;)
    I have great confidence in FF and QC and will definitely take you upon your offer for a replacement part. If you need my shipping info, let me know. You should have it on file at QC.
    Regards,
    Chris.

7. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Man. Chris. I'd need a change of clothes for sure. What happened? When did it fail?
    -M

8. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

After something Andy discovered on one of my LiPos I sent him, part of my pre-flight is to give a good tug on each of the EC5 connectors both before and after each flight (in case something had gotten soft from heat). I yanked one of my EC5s clean off a battery before I flew once. Bad soldering job (mine). :eek:

9. Chris Babiana

Chris Babiana Member

Good advice Steve...it's now on my list! Lesson learned!

Hey Mike.
    She flew fine, no issues. I grabbed the ends on the parallel adapter after landing and noticed they were all pretty warm...weird. That's when it came out in my hand...and I proceeded to experience a shooting pain in my left arm and chest! ;)
    Let get together soon for beers and flying...not necessarily in that order! New England colors must be just about peaking at your end. I wouldn't mind taking a road trip north for the day.

MIke Magee likes this.
  10. MIke Magee

MIke Magee Active Member

Sounds like a plan Chris. Maybe next weekend? A friend wants me to fly his new black magic pocket cam up there for the foliage. Lets touch base next week.

Chris Babiana likes this.
  11. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

That is why I make my own. I know they are done right.

12. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

Scary stuff! Glad it worked out.
    It makes a good case for having dual connectors to the distro board like the latest FF motor control set. Maybe it's not feasible on the MK gear?

Nathan Reim likes this.
  13. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Good question Tim, wonder if we can do this with the MK pwr distro board, anyone know?

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Nathan: There's really no provision on the MK Power Distribution Board to have dual LiPo connections other than by make a Y-connector, the single part of which would be soldered to the PDB. Not sure it gives you the redundancy that you're looking for as the Y-connector and the connections to the PDB will still be a single point of possible failure.

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  15. Nathan Reim

Nathan Reim Member

Yeah I didn't think their was a way, I haven't had any failures so far using my y harness but it seems like if their is goin to be a problem on the copter it's the little parts like that, that make it crash.

16. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

Andy if the new flight control board is capable of 6S batteries and they are upgrading the BL's maybe they will put out a better design PDB? Just wishful thinking.

17. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

I had the same exact thing happen, twice. Once with my Naza Quad with XT60s and then the Cinestar with the 5.5mm bullets. The wire came off as I unplugged. I really have no one to blame except myself though. I have notice that the solder wicks up the wire, and that was where the break occurred. They really didn't come un-soldered. Both connectors still had wire attached. After using XT60, 4mm bullets, and lastly 5.5mm bullets I decided to really do some home work.
    There is a local outfit that makes wiring harnesses for fighter planes. A friend of mine works there and I asked him what they used. He said they use "crimp type" fittings on everything, and also use adhesive silicone on alot of them. They have hydraulic presses for the big wires. He also said they also only use crimps the space shuttle.
    So I switch everything over to Anderson Powerpole connectors. (except some very small birds: JST) They are easy to crimp, just like servo cables, and I feel much more confident about my connections. Just have to make sure the ends are crimped parallel as possible, as they don't turn in the fitting, like bullets.
    http://forum.heliguy.com/posting,mode,topicreview,t,65102.html

Colin Snow likes this.
  18. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member

Gary are you using the 45 amp powerpoles or higher for the battery connection?

19. Gary McCready

Gary McCready Active Member

Yes, I use the 45amp for 8 and 10 gauge, 30amp for 12 and 14, and 15amp for 14 to 16 gauge. The 8 gauge is a tight fit, but my strippers cut a few of the strands even in the 8 gauge slot, and make it an easier fit. I don't have any batteries that are 6 gauge or bigger. The 45amp APP can handle 100 amps with no problem, so I'm told.

20. Scott Stemm

Scott Stemm Member