/dist/images/branding/favicon

M10 + Canon 1DC - What accessories do I need?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Carey Lee Coffey, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Carey Lee Coffey

I'm thinking about adding a Canon 1DC to my arsenal and would like some advice on what accessories I will need to purchase.

I come from the Red cinema world so I am not familiar with DSLR's, but this one has really caught my attention as it seems like the perfect companion to the MōVI.

I really like the size of the 1DC for the M10 and the fact that it has a self-contained battery and LCD - this would take care of my power and monitor issue I'm running into with my Red.

I'm trying to put together a lightweight and efficient rig and I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Here's what I'm looking at so far:

1DC
    Canon Batteries
    CF cards
    Paralinx Arrow +
    MK3 Wireless FF

Noe: One obstacle I'm running into with the 1DC is how to power the wireless FF.

2. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Carey, your list looks good, what kind of power input does the MK3 have? We are trying to get our hands on one from Kris to figure out how to best integrate into the MōVI.

Thanks!

Tabb

3. Carey Lee Coffey

Hey Tabb, according to the user's manual, it has a Hirose HR10 4-Pin Connection.

MK3-1.jpg

MK3-2.jpg

4. Phil Macdonald

I totally agree that the 1DC is a fantastic companion with the MoVI - 4K in a DSLR is sexual and although it seems very expensive on paper I saw some 4K footage that had come out of it at BVE and it looked gorgeous it must be said, plus there was a launch film that they did that looked really amazing. One thing I would quickly note with your list is I would still include an onboard monitor for the MoVI op. Although the 1DC has a screen it might be difficult to efficiently monitor from when actually operating, especially if you are in majestic mode.

Phil

5. Katya Nelhams-Wright

I 2nd that. We swopped our C300 in for the 1DC when it came out and here in the UK it has just been OK'ed as the 1st DSRL camera to be officially accepted by broadcasters as a Tier 1 HD camera at 4K. We use it with the paralinx also and it keeps recording even when you loose signal (which the 5D does not) but I agree that you would need a monitor for the MOVI operator.
    Look forward to seeing it mounted on your MOVI and hearing about RT motion drive:)
    kat

6. Simeon Quarrie

Simeon Quarrie New Member

I agree with Kat total. Monitor is a must. with a steadicam you can work without the screen, but having used the movi reasonably extensively at IBC chillout evening, a monitor is important because of home much the camera moves.

Kat's comment about the disconnection of the HDMI cable is a big plus, when comparing other DSLRs. Also the 1080p at 50 or 60fps is very good.

7. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

8. Simeon Quarrie

Simeon Quarrie New Member

Apologies! Done!