/dist/images/branding/favicon

Spektrum DX8 Help

Discussion in 'MōVI MR' started by Robert Redd, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

Just received the MR10 and I cannot get our Spektrum DX8 mapped properly for the Movi (using an AR8000 reciever). I see that the movi identifies the receiver but I have no control of the unit. I tried to use Freefly's .spm file for the dx7 but the dx8 will not accept it. The only response I get from the movi is when I turn on the transmitter. (Goes from majestic to off when transmitter is on)

2. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

3. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

No problem.

4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Robert in the MōVI software on the Remote Controller Config menu start at the top. Try changing the Radio type to DSM2 1024. I don't thing that the AR8000 is a DSMX receiver. If your switches are mapped exactly the same in the DX8 as the DX7 then it should work. Likely the mapping isn't one to one.

5. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the response.

The AR8000 manual says that it is a DSMX receiver. I tried all of the radio types and still no go. And since we ordered the MR version, there is no DX7 to compare it to for the mapping. Perhaps I'm overlooking something.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Interesting that one place is says DSM2/DSMX and in the operating manual for the AR8000 says clearly

Specifications:
    Type: DSM2 fullrange receiver
    Channels: 8
    Modulation: DSM2
    Main Receiver Dimensions: 1.27 x 1.35 x 0.45 in (32.3 x 34.3 x 11.4mm)
    Remote Receiver Dimensions: 0.80 x 1.10 x 0.27 in (20.3 x 28.0 x 6.9mm)
    Main Receiver Weight: .33 oz (9.4 g) Weight with Remote Receiver: .49 oz (13.9 g)
    Voltage range: 3.5 to 9.6V
    Resolution: 2048
    Frame rate: 11ms when paired with the DX7se or DX8
    Compatibility: All DSM2 aircraft transmitters and module systems

Can you jot down how you want to map the channels on the DX8? Which switches and dials are you going to use. Mode and pan speed for the switching/rotarys.

7. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

You're right. The back of the box says DSM2, DSMX Modulation. The manual doesn't mention DSMX at all. So ideally I would like to have the DX8 setup the same way that freefly sets the DX7. Pan speed for throttle. Pan direction on ailerons. Tilt for elevator. Flaps for off/majestic/on. Aux 3 for tilt speed.

Since the Freefly configurator says the radio has a good connection, I'm thinking my flap switch isn't set correctly. I'm not sure as to if it should be under a helicopter setup or airplane.

8. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok so lets try changing the radio type to to DSM2 an either DSM2 2048 and click write. Make sure the radio is on and the flap switch is pulled fully towards the bottom of the transmitter before you hit write.

9. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

The movi seems to take the write, but still no change.

10. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Ok sent you a PM. Also while we are waiting can you update your name as requested earlier? Thanks

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Also can you upload a picture showing the AR8000 and how you have it hooked up to the MōVI?

12. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

Hmm. I updated my name earlier. I see the update here, not sure why it's not visible to you.

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Robert: I think the issue to which Gary is referring is that you're using only your first name. We ask that, if you don't mind, that you use your first and last name, please. :)

Thanks
    Andy.

14. Robert Redd

Robert Redd New Member

Problem solved! Gary helped me figure out that I was using the incorrect 3 pin connector for the receiver. All good now. The 3 pin is different than the one used on the cinestar. My only question now is: Should I have control over roll? I tried to disable, but it also disables the roll trim.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Robert, no direct control over roll with a stick or rotary.

For others if you use Spektrum radios like the DX8, you need to use the small 3 connector satellite port on the receiver. Best bet with the DX8 is to use the supplied Satellite receiver and the wire that normally connects it to the AR8000 receiver. It will plug into the small white port on the bottom of the MR control box.

If you use Futaba radios then you connect from the s.Bus port on the Futaba receiver into the Futaba keyed servo port. The Futaba receiver does need to be an s.Bus capable receiver.

MoVI Control Ports V2.jpg

16. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

I have an MR set up with a DX8 and a satellite receiver. Mapped as a DX7 and all working fine. BIG problem for me is no aux output to trigger my shutter. It's been suggested to me to use an AR8000 receiver to facilitate this (powered bu BEC off aux battery). I'm just a bit confused as to where to plug this? Hopefully this is a stupid question.

17. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mitch you would attach the small satellite cable from the sat port on the AR8000 to the MoVI spektrum port. Power supply to maybe servo 1 port on the AR8000 and the the camera trigger to another port. Remap as required to support the channels for the MoVI and trigger.

18. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

Ok, have attached AR8000 to MOvi via original 3 pin Spectrum plug (supplied by Freefly) that was used to attach the satelite. Have powered AR8000 via UBEC. Getting rapid flashing 3 leds on movi. We have no control at all despite binding. All status indicators on Freefly confugurator say FAIL (Status, Compass, Radio, GPS, Drive and IMU. If we plug satelite back in (remove AR8000) we are back to full control. We are using a DX8 with the original Freefly DX7 settings imported. Any ideas?

19. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Mitch the small moles connectors are keyed but if you force them you can plug them in backwards. An chance that the got turned round? Also photos of how you are connecting up the AR would help.

20. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

Hi Gary. No, the plugs aren't reversed and connect nice and easy. We went through the binding process again with the satellite attached to the AR8000 and then re plugged to Mōvi. This time we got a solid orange light out of AR8000 and 3 solid green lights on Mōvi. But unfortunately it still wouldn't control it and 30 seconds or so later the orange light went off on receiver. Freefly configuration says there is no radio connection! I've pm'd Robert above to ask him exactly how he got his working. I'll share here once it's worked out. I'll try and photograph connections tomorrow but it's plugged as explained. Ar8000 powered by UBEC (correct polarity) into throttle port. Data cable (3pin) coming out of side of AR8000 and into 3 pin Spektrum port (as illustrated above). We've reconfigured it back to original satellite receiver and all working that way again. We do need to be able to fire a shutter so need to find the answer as we've a flight test next week! (Reconfigured it so we can practice fly with Mōvi gimbal for first time!). It's such a shame Freefly didn't engineer an aux output for a shutter release like on Radians. What were you thinking? No matter if I can get to the bottom of this. Thanks for your help!