/dist/images/branding/favicon

Radian tilt control

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Philippe Angel, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Philippe Angel

Philippe Angel New Member

Hi everybody

I've just installed 2 radians on an av130, and I am glad to tell you that it rocks, 1000 times better than the wookong stab, which was not difficult to beat we should agree...

I have one question regarding the tilt slew control. On my 2 people config, no problem, the guy controlling the gimbal has an assigned stick on his radio, with an "auto return to the center". Working very well.

But on a 1 person config, no way to assign one of the 2 radio sticks to the tilt, so we must assign a proportionnal poti, with no "auto return to the center".

How can we configure that ? It seems to me that the tilt continue slewing on one way or another if not assigned to a stick that's auto centered when you left it free (at least that's what I have noticed...) ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Philippe

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Philippe you are correct. Using a rotary on the radio you need to get it back to center. On the Graupner radios it beeps when it is at center. You could adjust the deadband to be a higher value. Then if you get close it will stop. Of course if you adjust the deadband for single operator it will also affect the sticks on the 2 man operation.

3. Philippe Angel

Hi Gary,

thank you for the reply.

I use Futaba T14 and T8 radios, so no beep. I'll try the sided rotary buttons.

What if I stay too long on a way or another, is that a risk of damaging the FF servos ?

Thanks,

Philippe

4. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

No generally tilt is limited range. Pan would just keep spinning and likely you stop it :)

5. Philippe Angel

Yes, but I am quite sure that during the setup and testing process, without the belt (hopefully), the tilt servo kept on spinning, while the range was limited on the software, configured as default tilt servo.

6. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

If you didn't have the Radian level on the tilt, without the belt the servo is simply trying to get the Radian/tilt gear back to level. it is lost...

7. Philippe Angel

I understand. Thanks for your shed light onto the issue Gary.

8. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Phillippe and Gary,

Good questions especially on the proportional control of the Tilt. Gary can you verify that there is no way to change the tilt to a proportional control with the Radian system? Seems like this is a basic request (even some of the toy models do it at this point) if it's not there do you know if someone has a workaround for it?

Thanks,
    Bob

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

The Radian's do not do proportional control. There was a series of posts on the forum about the reason that you might want to search. If I remember correctly unlike servos of the past that basically stopped when stick movement stopped the way the Radian works does not support that type of control.

10. Bob Wojda

Bob Wojda Member

Gary,

Thanks, I ran across that thread as well. It'll make operating in a one person configuration a bit harder. Any tips on how best to deal with tilt on the Graupner mx-20? Looking around the site now for more tips as well.

Bob

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

I used to set a higher deadband value and then listen for the centering beep on rotary switch for center.