/dist/images/branding/favicon

Another Cinestar 3 axis Brushless mod

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Brad McGiveron, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Peter Gøthche

I just converted my cinestar gimbal to a 3 axis brushless gimbal with alexmos controller, but how do i set it up so the multirotor dosent turn when it sits on the ground at startup??

2. Devin Card

Devin Card Member

YOu guys are awesome! Keep up the hard work! Looking forward to seeing the finished products :)

3. Tim Joy

Tim Joy Active Member

You can set a profile that has Follow Yaw on, and then switch in the air, or you can set a profile with the pan power and gains at 0 and switch in the air to the normal profile

4. Peter Gøthche

Ok how do i switch between the two modes? Where do i connect the switch

5. Katya Nelhams-Wright

Hi Peter.
    If you are using the SimpleBgc 2.1 software with you can assign the command function in the RC setting tab to a 3 position switch on your radio. I have my CMD set to EXT ROLL and that is then set up as AUX 1 on my radio and assigned to a 3 position switch of my choice. You then create and save the Profiles which you want enabling yaw etc, whatever you like, and then assign them to the LOW, MID and HIGH tabs in the RC tab. To see if it's working correctly you can then look at the Realtime Data tab and when you flip the switich you should see the RC_Roll, RC_Pitch etc indicators have different slider values in them so you can make sure everythig is assigned correctly for the different switch positions.
    Hope that helps.
    Kat

Steve Maller likes this.
  6. Jeff Patterson

Jeff Patterson New Member

Maybe I've missed this somewhere already.. but your using 2 boards. Understanding that the 2 boards will control the Yaw later on.. BUt. With the dual tilt/roll setup, is there one board running each "set" or are people actually driving 2 pitch motors off of one board? I have tried with the Martinez boards to run 2 tilt motors and cannot seem to have the aligned properly to work together. Any hints?

7. Jeff Patterson

Jeff Patterson New Member

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Peter: Sorry....but I'm not too sure that there are many people using the Alexmos controllers on the forum.

Andy.

9. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

10. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Bill, since the controller is part of the brushless conversion why wouldn't this be the proper place to discuss the controller? I can understand not highjacking someone else thread but why point them to another forum, have them create a new topic where we can discuses the controllers being used and proper setup.

11. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Ooops. What I wrote was more to apologize for nobody responding to Jeff's posting rather than anything else.
    EDIT (Hit Post accidentally), but Bill's also right insofar as the Alexmos isn't a FF product -- which is why there aren't too many folks talking about it here. But I'm not sure there's a prohibition on talking about Alexmos, though.

Andy.

12. Bill Collydas

Paul, I understand what you are saying and you are maybe correct to start a new topic about the Alexmos, but this is the FF forum and we can talk about it but not promote it.
    Heck I own 5 of them.:)

13. Glenn Dreher

Glenn Dreher New Member

If you like to talk about gimbals, handhelds and brushless CS conversions then fire away.:)

Bill[/quote]
    Hi Bill,

I'm a newbie to the forum and it looks like you have a wealth of knowledge so I thought I'd start by asking your advice on converting a CS 3 axis to a brushless. Grayson at brushlessgimbals.com suggested keeping the CS pan as a a servo and controlling it with a Radian and then convert tilt and roll to brushless motors and controlling with a different controller or controllers. I would be flying en Epic and his concern with converting pan to a brushless was the amount of torque exerted on that axis when flying at high speed with that much weight on the gimbal would be too much for a brushless. Do you think this is a good solution or is there a brushless pan solution and if so would I need Radian for all three axis?

I know that's a lot to throw out and I'm sure I did not provide enough detail but I wanted to dip my toe in.

Thanks
    Glenn

14. Bill Collydas

Welcome to the forum Glenn,
    I experimented with a lot of different setups.
    The best is the brushless with the belt reduction on all 3 axis.
    I don't own a radian so I didn't try it.
    As you can see in the photos I made the mounting plates for the motors and I used the original wheels from the CS.
    The motors are the 5208 and 5108 from Iflight.
    I had to use the 180T belts as there is not enough room for the 150T.
    If you want to use the Radian for the pan is fine, but you have to be able to connect your receiver to operate the pan and the tilt the same time.
    If you supply power to the receiver you have to cut the red wire that connects to the tilt on the Alexmos controller.
    If you decide to go with the belt reduction you don't have to change anything on the CS gimbal except remove the
    servos and brackets and install the plates with the brushless motors. If you go direct drive then you will need the cages for the tilt and pan.
    Grayson sells them.
    I hope this helps you to decide either way.
    Cheers
    Bill

Attached Files:

15. Glenn Dreher

Glenn Dreher New Member

Hi Bill,
    Thanks for the warm welcome and for the detailed description and photos.

Bassed on your experience what is it about brushless with a belt reduction that you've found to be the best setup?

16. Bill Collydas

hehehehe:cool::) economical, quick, accurate, silent and powerful.
    Anything beyond that is a super gimbal.

Bill

17. Glenn Dreher

Glenn Dreher New Member

Super Gimbal....sounds like a mythical creature.

:)

18. Bill Collydas

:D
    It does. It don't exist anywhere else
    :D

19. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Bill, I noticed that you changed the stock isolators with another one. How do you like it? Does it work better?

20. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

Bill, have you got any footage up in the air with the reduction posted yet ?
    I haven't been following closely so I may have messed it.