/dist/images/branding/favicon

New CineStar8 - First Flights

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Steve Abrams, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Steve Abrams

Steve Abrams New Member

Hey folks,
    I am new to Cinestar8, and new to this forum. I just finished the build (with Andy's help) with MK Flight Controller and ACC upgrade with the latest firmware, and we took our maiden flight this morning. GPS is working fine, but I am having an issue with Altitude Hold. If I move the throttle above a certain point, the machine surges upward for a few feet, stops, surges upward again, stops, and so on. When I move the throttle below a certain point, the machine descends normally. I have the Altitude Hold set to Switch 2 on the Graupner MX20, as per Andy's instructions. All other switches are set to Andy's DVD instructions.
    Any thoughts or observations would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Steve

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Steve welcome to the forum. Would you be kind enough to change your user name to your real first name and last name, please? The reasons for this (and how to do do it) are explained here: http://forum.freeflysystems.com/index.php?threads/real-names.497/.

I am attaching a screen shot of my altitude setup. I have the throttle setup with the centering spring. The alternative is no spring. So my settings have the stick neutral point at 127. When I turn on AH I can let the stick come up or down to center and the spring holds it there. If you aren't using the spring then the setting value would be 0 and when you turn on AH it should hold altitude based on the current stick position. Move the stick up on either setting the copter will climb. Release the stick (Back to center or just stop moving it) and it should hold altitude.

If you are getting variation as you describe did you put a piece of foam over the AH sensor hole on the FC board? See this link http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/heightsensor

3. Steve Abrams

Steve Abrams New Member

Thanks, Gary. I changed my user name. My transmitter does not have a spring, and I think the neutral point is set to 127, so I will change that right now. I am using the foam modification on the AH sensor. I will let you know how it works out.

4. Steve Abrams

Steve Abrams New Member

Well, here's an update. When I have GPS enabled, the Altitude Hold seems to be working fine. When I try to use Altitude Hold with the GPS turned off, I get the "surging" issue, where the machine climbs a few feet, stops, climbs a few more feet, and so on.
    So here's the basic question - and please excuse me for being a noob - does GPS have to be enabled for Altitude Hold to work?

5. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Is it possible that there's a conflict with the channels? Do you have the audio signals working on your Graupner? Or do you have a way of confirming that AH and PH are actually engaging as expected? They should work independently of each other. And do you have a GPX file from the microSD card in your Navi board? Those contain a wealth of information, and if you upload one of the files, we can help you decode what's in there. Welcome!!!

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

And to answer your specific question, Steve (Abrams), there should not be an interaction between GPS and AH, so Steve (Maller) is correct in suggesting that you check the channels set up just to see if something is set wrong. I also found what you found when I did a firmware upgrade, no spring on throttle, AH set to 127, leads to some surges.

I'm not sure what version of firmware you're running, but with 0.90, I had to set to the Compass Effect (Navi-Ctrl tab) to zero to avoid twitching in yaw (by the aircraft -- personally, I always twitch in yaw.... ;) )

Andy.

7. Steve Abrams

Steve Abrams New Member

Thanks everyone, for helping. Here is the last GPX file on the SD card. I have also included a screen shot of MK Tools with settings and version information. Andy, all the settings are exactly as you described in your DVD's. The only thing different, as you'll notice on the screen shot, is the Altitude setpoint, and GPS control mode are set to the actual channels the switches are on, as opposed to "poti". Is this an issue?

Attached Files:

8. Steve Abrams

Steve Abrams New Member

Andy, also notice in the screen shot that I have set Channel 6 (GPS Mode) to Control 10, just like you did in the DVD. When I have that switch in the "off" position, I notice that the green indicator band beside the control mode setting, is full green. Does that mean GPS in on, or off? If it's on, maybe the GPS is in "go home" mode, and interfering with Altitude Hold.

9. Steve Maller

Before you fly again, take a good look at your configuration. It appears from the GPX file that you're taking off and landing with COME HOME ENABLED. So if you have a 3-pos switch with down for GPS off, middle for PH ON and top for CH ON (as Andy's DVD teaches), then you might have this reversed. AH seems to be working independently of the GPS functions, so that part's probably ok. But DO NOT fly again until you verify this. I can imagine that this could produce some seriously unwanted consequences.

10. Steve Abrams

Steve Abrams New Member

OMG!!! Steve, you are right. I have been trying to fly in "Come Home" mode, because I have the label on that switch reversed. That would certainly explain the "unwanted consequences" I have been experiencing. I deserve some major "stupid points" for this. Seriously.

11. Steve Maller

Any newbie mistake that requires little more than a re-configure in MK_TOOL should require you to make an offering to Daedalus and Icarus. :D

12. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Sorry to be off-line at the critical time, but yes, you're in CH mode and that's the problem.
    Much appreciate SteveM's responsiveness here!

Andy.

Steve Maller likes this.
  13. Steve Abrams

Steve Abrams New Member

You'd think that someone who has built four multi-rotors, and seven helicopters, would somehow be better at this! Sometimes, I wonder how I manage to get myself dressed in the morning...:(
    Steve and Andy, thank you so much for being patient with a CineStar and MK noob. Your generosity is simply amazing.

Steve Maller likes this.
  14. Steve Maller

Just paying it forward. I'd never have gotten off the ground were it not for the folks here. Still learning all the time, too.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

We've all done similar things.
    You should see the out-takes from the DVD. Duh.... ;)

But glad you're proceeding in the correct direction.

You might also give serious consideration to a first person video camera system, along with a Smart On Screen Display -- you can see the flight status of the copter and it would have shown you immediately what the problem was -- it has text superimposed on the video feed from the camera on boom #1 that would have said "Coming Home."

Andy.