/dist/images/branding/favicon

Finally got my M10!

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Jonathan Stevenson, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Jonathan Stevenson

So excited to finally get the rig. Haven't had any time to do some test shots, but I snapped a few pics of my initial setup. Just wanted to share a few configuration pictures since there's a surprising lack of closeups of people's rigs. I figured you guys would like to see how I have mine working. Only took me about an hour to come to this configuration after unpacking everything from the box...

[​IMG]

First, a quick rundown of what comprises the kit:
    - Movi M10 (obviously)
    - Red Epic with Side Handle (I'd rather use Redvolts and play it safe in powering the camera)
    - RedRock microRemote wireless follow focus
    - SmallHD DP4 w/ Canon batteries
    - Paralinx Arrow Plus for directors monitor/focus puller/pan-tilt operator
    - Lenses I used for this setup are Zeiss ZFs. Nice and light!

Here's a few snaps of how I am mounting the follow focus rig. On the top of the camera is a small 15mm LWS bracket from WC.
    [​IMG]

On top of the 15mm Bracket, there are a few extra 1/4-20 taps, so I screwed in the WC cold shoe mount. I dug up a little Cold shoe adapter in my bits and parts and screwed that into the back of the Redrock base station.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    On the other side, I have a Freefly Lipo to power the Redrock. I bought two extra batteries when making my final payment on the M10, as well as the Lipo to 2pin Lemo adapter cable for the redrock (this only works if you have a follow focus kit that is newer than Feb 2013, btw. Cable isn't plugged in in this picture). I had to improvise tonight and hold the Lipo to the 15mm bracket with a rubber Gear Tie, but I plan on using a little velcro strap to just mount the battery to the other 15mm rod. The rubber tie definitely didn't work, the battery kept shifting and screwing with the balance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few other angles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    When all is said and done, the camera setup only weighed just under 10lbs. (I got a little food scale from Target, 11lb max on this one. Comes in super handy). BTW, I also have the Viewfactor top plate for the Epic and plan on keeping it on the camera. I took it off originally to save weight, but when I realized I was barely at 10lbs, I decided I would put it back on the next time (The plate itself is like 2oz).

[​IMG]

Also, for those wondering, it was very easy for me to mount my SmallHD DP4 to the included bracket on the handles. The little ball mount that comes with the DP4 also has a 1/4-20 tap on the underside, so I just screwed a short 1/4-20 screw through the bracket into the mount.

[​IMG]

Ran out of time, so I didn't test the Paralinx tonight, but I plan on powering it off the USB port from the DP4, as well as feeding it a signal from the DP4 HDMI passthrough port. Should be a super handy way of running it all together.

2. Arturo Bernardi

How do you plan to connect the REd to the Dp4?

3. Jonathan Stevenson

Freefly also sells ultrathin HDMI cables in their "owner store," so I ordered a few of those as well upon checkout. I should also mention that I'm using the redmote to adjust camera settings and such. Finally I have a use for the damn thing!

4. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

Jonathan, looks like an awfully tall setup. Did you try mounting it to the M10? You may have issues with clearance of the controller and possibly the FF motor as well.

5. Jonathan Stevenson

Yep, mounted just fine with no clearance issues. I took all these pictures after running around with it on the Movi for about an hour in my office. I'll admit, it was a little tight (only about 3 inches from the top) but it could freely rotate in all directions. However, I will certainly refine this setup. As I said in the post, it was mostly improvised because I could only use what I had lying around to attach everything. Ideally, I'll like to have the RR base station mounted to the side of the camera tray out of the way.

6. Jeff Cook

Jeff Cook Member

Jonathan,

Thanks for the photos, it's nice to SEE something than just talk about it.

7. Christopher Barrett

Just unboxed mine! Sadly I had a crazy long shoot today and have to get back to it first thing in the morning. No time to play :(

Brad Meier likes this.
  8. Chad Lancaster

Chad Lancaster New Member

Congrats Jonathan & Chris, excited to see how you set it all up with your epic

9. Fabien Rubio

Fabien Rubio New Member

You are so lucky Jonathan, can not wait anymore! Congratulations!

10. Carey Lee Coffey

I'm prepping myself for my M10. Just got my MK3 FF in. What a gorgeous piece of gear! This should pair perfectly with the MōVI. It's the lightest, smallest and most versatile wireless FF out there.

MK3.jpg

11. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Carey there site is interesting but they don't seem to show any prices.

12. Carey Lee Coffey

Yes, they are backed up, swamped, fulfilling orders right now… They will be accepting orders again soon. Check their site out within the next couple of weeks and they should have their stock back in. It ran me about $4000 US dollars for the unit I have. That includes the motor, receiver, cable pack, thumbwheel, controller and pelican case. About $800 more than the microremote, but lots more useful features.

13. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Guess I have never seen a website that sells stuff, not have a price listed when they were out of stock. Pretty strange....

Looks like a nice unit. When you get it setup shoot some photos and post them. It has an OLED screen?

14. Ozkan Erden

Ozkan Erden Distributor

Carey,

Which version did you get? They have basic, red and other versions. And with which camera will you use it?

15. Arturo Bernardi

how do you manage the fact that if the microremote run out the battery it will be damaged cause the aux battery of the movi doesn't have a protection for going under 3volt?
    thanks
    Arturo

16. Carey Lee Coffey

I got the brand new MK3.1

I'm starting with one motor for focus, but will add motors for iris and zoom.

Shooting with a Red Epic.

17. Christopher Barrett

Arturo, we used it quite a bit the other day and the motor only drained the LiPo a bit. I think you could go a long time without worrying about damage. As you're getting used to the setup, I'd recommend leaving the included voltage meter plugged into the LiPo's balance leads so you can monitor levels. You can buy extras of these meters fairly cheap, they even have ones with low voltage alarms (though that might piss off your sound guy... and everyone else on set).

18. Arturo Bernardi

Thank you!