/dist/images/branding/favicon

Custom MoVI Power Solution

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Robin Charters, Sep 16, 2013.

?

What do you think?

1. Awesome!

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. I want one!

5 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Complete Junk.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robin Charters

Robin Charters New Member

Hey Guys,

Thought you all might like to see my prototype power solution for the MoVI:
    http://instagram.com/p/eNmS48TWZR/
    http://instagram.com/p/eQABiQzWR5/

The power source is removed from the payload and placed onto the top handle that you grip the MoVI with, allowing you to remove the RedVolt Side Handle and its battery, and also the batteries from your monitor and any other accessory that you are powering. Having it on the handle also gives the added benefit of it being easily removed. Two isolated and fused batteries allow for a runtime of 1+ hour with an Epic and all accessories. These 14.4v Makita Batteries are 44Wh each, and will charge to full capacity in only 25 minutes with a rapid charger. The system is completely hot swappable and because the batteries charge so fast, you could theoretically run the system indefinitely with only 4 batteries and 2 chargers total. There is also an additional 4 Pin XLR power input which will take over from the batteries when the power supply input is 16.5 volts. It can of course simply be an additional input for more batteries, like a battery belt, or to remove the battery weight from the rig to rely on external power only.

Power is provided to the Camera by a power loom that ends in a plug that is connected to a small light weight power junction box. This box has two outputs, one for the camera, and one for an accessory. Additional accessories could be powered with a Y-Cable or a larger splitter box.

Currently the system is not powering the MoVI rig itself, this is because I do not have the Female JST connector to mate with yet. Thus, the run times are for the Camera and Accessories (including monitor and transmitter). The goal will always be to allow the MoVI to run with its own LiPo source if needed.

There are two Voltmeter LED readouts that monitor the voltage coming from each battery to indicate when the batteries are in need of a swap.

More to come.

Robin

2. J Griffin Ricker

That seems really heavy.

3. Robin Charters

Total added weight is only about 1lb when you factor in the loss of the Red Side Handle, the Red Volt, the 2 Canon LP-E6 batteries powering the Small HD DP4 Monitor and the extra LiPo that I was using to power the Red Rock microRemote Basestation. The weight is decreased by an additional 7oz when you run the MoVI from the power supply also.

This 1lb of weight increase is negligible in my opinion, once you see the benefits of over double the runtime for the Epic vs the Red Volts, and the ability to stay powered through battery swaps. Not to mention that the Makita Batteries are $100 apiece and the chargers are $40 off Amazon.

Configured this way, I was able to shoot for over two hours straight with one battery change at Venice Beach over the weekend, allowing me to get all the shots I wanted at the Skate Park, over to the Drum Circle, then to the Water for the Sun setting on the Horizon without skipping a beat.

Cheers,
    Robin

Aside - removing the battery weight from the Camera allows for an extra 1.5lb of payload headroom.

Kyler Zee likes this.
  4. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Robin how's your arms doing after all the run and gun?

5. Carey Lee Coffey

I don't know. I'm still leaning toward Tabb's V Mount solution:

IMG_2483.JPG

I like the idea of the battery being on the camera shelf better than on the handles.

There should be one on the frame to power the MōVI and one on the shelf to power everything else.

The less cables messing with the balance, the better.

Kyler Zee likes this.
  6. J Griffin Ricker

True dat.

7. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Robin I think this is a fantastic idea. Where did you get the distribution box? Is it a custom build?

8. Robin Charters

All custom. I will have a more detailed build description soon!

As for the cables interfering with the gimbal, there are two wires (Negative and Positive DC Leads) that lead down the gimbal across the motors. They are 18 AWG Fine Strand Silicon wire, extremely flexible, in fact, the same type of wire that the rest of the gimbal uses. The wires do not affect the performance of the gimbal at all.

In reply to Carey, the less batteries messing with your workday the better :)

Cheers
    Robin

9. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Much agreed. Ideally my setup will run everything on one battery and the only other battery to power the movi.

10. Ryan Hamelin

Ryan Hamelin Member

Hey Robin, just wondering if you are still working on the build breakdown for your power unit.

I've been doing some research into Hitachi Lithium Ions that are 14.4v but also 5.0Ah instead of 3.0, and therefore over 2x the charge capacity. Was wondering what you used to mount your batteries and run power off of them, and whether they might be able to take other brands.

Overall, awesome setup. Would be nice to get the battery weight off the gimbal for a change.

11. Cameron Michael

any word on then this might be out for purchase?

12. bevan goldswain

A battery belt would be nice to take weight off.
    I think it would be cool of the handles actually were the batteries, and they clipped on and off real easy.

I think smaller/lighter/fewer batteries is key (Ideally 1 battery)

I'd rather change batteries every hour than carry more weight whist shooting. It's sad when the Movi just gets heavier and heavier, everything I love about it is lost.

Kyler Zee likes this.
  13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Bevan: This might be the solution for you (it's not an actual MoVi but the principle applies):

I'd feel a bit too dorky wearing the EasyRig (Portland, Oregon's known for the slogan "Keep Portland Weird", but this is over the top, pun intended).

I suppose if I were to wear and EasyRig, I'd feel better if I put a flag on top of it, struck a dramatic pose, and claimed the nearby land for Her Majesty.... ;)

Andy.

14. ss kiran reddy

ss kiran reddy New Member

Hi,
    Any idea i can buy and what are the costs involved. Your solution is great. Thank you.

15. Ben Huddleston

Yes, nice work Robin! I'm going to copy you...

16. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member

Hey guys, Quick tip Ive found while Ive been working with the rig...remove the battery from the rig. I have a custom cable, distribution system that Im testing right now that provides power for everything (camera, fiz, monitor, wireless transmitter, movi and has hotswap features as well as regulated power to all devices and HDSDI passthru.) Ill try and post some photos tonight but ive visited three states in the past three days....This rig just works non stop.

Jeff Cook and ss kiran reddy like this.
  17. Mark Pugh

Mark Pugh New Member

I'm dying to hear more info from both Eric and Robin. Keep it coming.

18. ss kiran reddy

ss kiran reddy New Member

Fantastic Mr. Eric,
    It is most welcome. Waiting to hear about your solution and the cost of the custom cable and distribution system.
    Thank you.

19. Eric Ulbrich

Eric Ulbrich Member