/dist/images/branding/favicon

Cinestar 8 kit from QC

Discussion in 'Cinestar 8' started by Dean Roczen, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Trevor

Since that posting the Motor Safety Switch is now one of the software features. You need to use both sticks by default to start and stop the motors. Start/stop can be changed back to the classic way but much safer using both sticks.

Carefree mode works fine but you can get into trouble if for any reason the copter goes behind what it thinks is the home point from its gps. If it does and you aren't nano second quick in turning off CF the controls will have reversed and likely result is a crash.

Waypoint flying is interesting. The admonition about not using it has to do with too many folks thinking that all they need to do is use auto takeoff, put it into waypoint mode, have it fly the route and then auto land. They have no skills for manual mode and systems including GPS do fail due to solar storms, RFI interference and the like. Result if you aren't thoroughly capable of flying manually is usually loss of the copter.

Finally this is all based on the MikroKopter FC system. You didn't say what your were going to use as an FC. If it is another system then likely the same rules generally apply.

2. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

When I was newer I thought about using it a lot and actually tried it a few times. It just sounds like a really cool feature. But after getting a lot of flying experience under my belt I realized why nobody uses it. I did try it and worked ok but I really don't like to use it and haven't used it in over 6 months. My best advice I can give anyone that's thinking about using is it that you should know that the MK GPS is a consumer grade GPS and has an accuracy of about (+) (-) 5 meters. If you are flying at an altitute near power lines, trees, or houses you simply can't use it. Plus GPS is senstive around lots of metal so it may start working and then flake out. You also might run into a situation where GPS pick up is spotty. My conclusion is to that there is no real advantage of using it over manually.

3. Trevor Ford

Trevor Ford New Member

That's all very very helpful, Dave and Gary.
    Thanks for the info.

We just learned the waypoint flying today, and only because we have a job that seems like it would be a decent fit for it:
    Flying over corn fields in the middle of nowhere, the same route, 6 different times (different flights with different camera settings) to see the way that pesticides were dropped from a crop duster.

We've only ever flown manually and I prefer that to letting the copter dictate what it does!
    Thanks again.

trevor
    TheRightBrothersAC.com

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Trevor: My comment was really based on the current situation based in the USA where commercial operation is not allowed, and the risks of technology/GPS failure.

There is a tutorial:

Just be cautious using Waypoints -- a copter will happily try to fly through buildings or trees.

And, of course, this is entirely my opinion. As the saying goes, "I'm often wrong, but never uncertain!" :)

Andy.

5. Dave King

What could possibily go wrong?

6. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Dave King

MK GPS is not good enough for even attempting way points. Just my opinion.