/dist/images/branding/favicon

Extending depth and height of Mōvi?

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Philipp Meier, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Philipp Meier

Philipp Meier Member

Hey guys,

I just had my first serious reality check after receiving my Mōvi. I own a Sony PMW-F3 and the camera won't fit into the cage. It's too high so the viewfinder seems to bump into the top and I can't shove it deep enough into the cage for balance either, since the back of the camera/viewfinder bumps into the back of the cage as well.

Let's not even talk about the AJA KI Pro that I usually keep mounted behind the camera...

So here is my question: did I just blow 15k? My camera weighs only 5lbs so I figure it would definitely work with the M10. Is the Mōvi only meant to be used with DSLR cameras and the like?

I am really confused. Is there anything I can do to make my camera fit?

Thanks,

Philipp

2. Carey Lee Coffey

Is the F3 listed as a camera that will work with the M10?

3. Carey Lee Coffey

No, it's not on the list.

Let me know if you decide to sell it. I would be interested in buying it.

4. Philipp Meier

Philipp Meier Member

Is there an actual list of cameras that will work with the system or are you referencing the "cameras we have tested" section? I am still hoping to hear from someone from Freefly to see what my options are. Would be a shame if only such a limited list of cameras would work even though mine is definitely under 10lbs.

Last option: buy a new camera. ;)

5. Carey Lee Coffey

There is a list. I will post it here when I find it.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Phillip is the handle/viewfinder removable? Some of the Sony's it is, others not.

7. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Philipp, I haven't received mine yet, so I can't really tell. However. On the freefly 3-axis gimbal of my multirotor (which is similarly - though not identically - built), I replaced the vertical carbon pole with a longer one. If that can be easily done, like on the gimbal, it should help you solve the problem.
    Same with depth, you'd have to replce three of the poles to keep the balance though - just a guess.

8. Philipp Meier

Philipp Meier Member

Hey Gary,

The viewfinder is not removable. But even if I could somehow remove the viewfinder I still wouldn't know how to get the camera in the cage simply because with a Zeis CP.2 attached to the front, the camera keeps tilting forward on the mount and I can't push it back any further since it bangs against the back of the cage.

How can you guys even balance this rig with a RED when there is a longer lens attached? Doesn't the system become way to front heavy to balance? Maybe I am just doing something very wrong here?

And Wolfgang, do you have an F3 as well? Would love to hear your experience. Where are you located? Also, where could I find longer carbon poles that will fit the system?

Thanks,

Philipp

9. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Phillip can you take a couple of photos and post them on how you have our setup configured?

10. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Philipp, I´m located in Austria. I don´t have an F3. There were other reasons why I chose to extend the gimbal.
    My guess would be that the poles are the same as the ones from their multirotors. Depending on your location, try to find a dealer and get some. There are other poles in the same width available, but usually they are slightly different in several ways, so I´d stick to the freefly poles.
    A dealer in the US would be quadrocopter.us, here is their boom assortment: booms. There are many lengths available, but you can always cut it. I´d let them cut if you want to have it look pretty ;-). If not, be sure to add water to avoid the aggressive carbon dust.

11. Christopher Futcher

Christopher Futcher New Member

I haven't received my MR yet but by the images it looks like it uses the same booms as the older gimbal. I have also extended the booms to accommodate larger sized cameras on the Freefly 3axis gimbal. I replaced the vertical boom and the two horizontal boom going out to the tilt axis with the 215mm booms. I had to do some reinforcements to make is strong enough to support a RED Epic with Zeiss super speeds and it works great with plenty of room to spare. But without yet seeing the M10 I'm not completely sure this is possible and might not be recommended by Freefly.

Here's a pic.
    [​IMG]

12. Brad Meier

Brad Meier Active Member
    Staff Member

The construction of the MōVI differs from that of the older style servo driven gimbals. Both the down tube and right side tube have custom, glued fittings that cannot be removed. It would not be a simple matter to modify those parts for longer tubes.

Also im not sure how well the stabilization would be with the longer moment arm and mass further from the motors.

13. Philipp Meier

Philipp Meier Member

Hey Gary,

I attached some photos of my Sony PMW-F3 mounted in the cage. As you can see I pushed the camera back into the cage as much as possible. And while the viewfinder clears on the top it doesn't allow the camera to move very much int the cage.

Also, I can't seem to balance the tilt balance since the front of the camera is still falling forwards as soon as I let go with my hands and there is no room to push the camera any further into the back of the cage.

Unless I am doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Philipp

PS: I have no idea why these images show upside down. If you watch them in full screen mode they show correctly.

photo 1-1.JPG photo 2-1.JPG photo 3.JPG

14. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Phillip I am going to defer to Tabb to see if he has any suggestions. I'm stumped.

15. Philipp Meier

Philipp Meier Member

Okay. Really looking forward to the reply from Tabb. Especially since I not only think this would be a problem for my specific camera but even a RED with the IO panel attached at the back or a longer lens on the front. Not sure how the system can be balanced against the front weight if there's not much room to push it backwards.

Seems like something like the IO panel would be pretty crucial to use if you are working with sync audio and want XLR in.

Hopefully I am just doing something wrong...