/dist/images/branding/favicon

Converting my CS gimbal to a brushless gimbal

Discussion in 'Camera Mount Misc' started by Bill Collydas, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

Ill give one of those a try for the pan axis of the hand mount I'm going to build, or attempt to build. I'm pushing the weight enough as it is on my bird so for no I will stick to radian and servo pan, but hand mount ill give it a shot. Just have to wait until November :(

2. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

3. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

Has any one got the bluetooth board to work with alexmos? I can't see the viacopter bluetooth board and I entered the default passcode, but it just hangs on connecting in the GUI.

ricardo cohen likes this.
  4. Mateusz Hajdziony

I have been talking with guys from T-Motor about these new gimbal motors and the price for GB85-1 (which will be able to drive Red Epic and cameras in similar weight class) is $309 a piece.

EDIT: I have also got a data sheet from them, but not much new info there (sizes etc.)

5. Matt Barker

Matt Barker Member

The iPower 8017s are about 250ish.

6. Mateusz Hajdziony

Yeah, just found them for $240. They look the same as T-Motor's U8, but have less stators. I wonder if these motors are some rebranded T-Motors.

7. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

I read this tread with attention. In the near future i think i might take a shot and do a brushless upgrade, but confusion is a part of my hesitation and the lack of real good examples what works and not. I know the guys from flexacopter will do great with the 2 motors on each axe and i think the setup from Matt Sharp is also very promising. But they struggle both more ore less with the pan option. It seems clear that there is not a good solution without a belt for the pan option and yet there are some serious resellers like Kopterworx who are selling an CS 3 upgrade kit with direct driven pan option. I know they say it is for camera's up to 2000 grams, witch for now is not a problem for me (GH2 or GH3 user so it will be inside this weight range). It is tempting to buy such a kit but i am curious what is coming up in terms of good quality video with this upgrade sets.

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

9. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

After much struggling, including swearing up and down that ArmBGC had ripped me off for a defective substandard product (I was wrong, I think) and purchasing a different Alexmos board from a US reseller, I took the time to patiently go through the configuration dance, and I actually am getting closer to having a working BLG. I started with a Freefly 2-axis gimbal, then converted it with parts from BrushlessGimbals.com (Grayson is AWESOME). I then added an Alexmos 2-axis board, and so began the odyssey. A couple frustrating weeks later, I can actually handhold the thing with a 5D Mark III and it sort of stays still. Now I have to get it to respond to faster movements. I think I have to use a 4S (or larger) battery, as the 3S may not be providing enough juice to the iFlight GBM5108-Pro motors. One thing that really helped was slapping together this little rig out of PVC pipe to hold the gimbal. It sped things up by about a factor of 3X from the way I was doing it. I love PVC pipe. :)
    brushless-rig.jpg

10. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

Maybe this motor is the same as the Tiger mentioned earlier on by Mteuszan and can be used for direct drive on Pan.
    http://www.brushlessgimbals.com/blog/62195/introducing-the-new-red-epic-conversion-kit.html.
    They only sell it in the cage and the cage is larger then for 5108 motors, or will a motor with much more torque (up to 4,5 kg) not produce a better result on the direct drive pan then a belt. It also has a much higher resolution (42 pole) so maybe?

11. Paul conto

Paul conto Member

I saw that last night and its very tempting as I'm going to be flying a red soon, however I'm concerned about weight. Those motors looks huge and the additional carbon I'm wondering if it really will only add half a pound as they say. I'm pushing 10-12lbs already depending on the camera and 10min flights, new motors comming to hopefully help out to extend flights, but can someone help verify weight of this upgrade.
    *edit*
    Something definently is off about the weight as I just looked at the 3 axis and 2 axis kits and BOTH say it adds 250grams for the motors. I'm then guessing its 250grams PER motor? I sent an email to the company last night but no responce yet, anyone else heard anything.

12. Gerard Metz

Gerard Metz New Member

13. kjetil tønnesen

14. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

Is there an official Alexmos website? I want to find some info on the new more powerful boards? And when they will be released.

15. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

The two primary ones appear to be:
    http://www.armbgc.com/alexmos/
    http://www.simplebgc.com/eng/

There seems to be an issue upgrading the 2-axis boards when you install the 3-axis daughter board. I've heard this from a couple of people, but I have not attempted it myself as I don't have the boards.

Andy.

16. kjetil tønnesen

i have mounted several board with the 3axis daughter board and have no issues with it
    what kind off issues do they have andy?

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Hi Kjetil:
    The problem seems to be upgrading the 2-Axis board firmware to handle the 3-Axis firmware. Specifically "software" (it's really firmware), 2.2b2, I think -- I don't have Alexmos boards so cannot confirm this.

Andy.

18. Bill Collydas

Bill Collydas Active Member

Andy, you have to upgrade the firmware with the two boards connected together. You have to supply battery power so you can power the daughter board.
    In the advance tab you have to check the "YAW ext. board" for the yaw.
    When all is updated you should see this on the GUI ""Board version 1.0+3a and firmware 2.2b2""
    Bill

19. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Bill.
    Andy,

20. Ryan McCrae

Ryan McCrae Member

I would like to convert my cinestar 3 axis to Brushless, I will be carrying a gh3 99% of the time and possibly a 5d on the rare occasion.
    What do you guys think, wait a few months for things to mature or should i jump in now?