/dist/images/branding/favicon

MK - a little help?

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Jon Fredericks, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Jon Fredericks

Having a little technical challenge, and would love some insight.

This is with an older CS 8, MK stack. Running Kopter Tool 2.0, FC 2.0, Navi 2.0. Just updated all firmware and KT, and set new model in Spectrum DX 8. Radio is bound, gyros leveled, compass calibrated, motor test is fine, NO errors in Kopter Tool, telemetry working, gps working. Gyro calibration works (up and left: beep, beep, beep), but motors won't start. Occasionally with throttle down and right, it beeps like it wants to fire, but doesn't beep every time.

We're missing something small, but critical. Any thoughts?
    Many thanks!

2. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Jon,

If you just installed new SW to the FC/NC it sounds like you need to re-calibrate the compass.

Greetings,
    Adam

3. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

The new startup procedure in the latest firmware is that both sticks are moved to the center and down (towards your belly button). Not just the throttle. Is that it?

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Other possibilities, which depend on your settings in MK Tool, are whether you have sufficient GPS satellites, or whether there is a microSD card in the Navi-Ctrl board.

Andy.

5. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Jon, Throttle Down to the right, right stick down and to the left and it should start. For shutdown I do throttle down and left and then right stick down and left. You need both sticks for both start and stop. This can be turned off in MKtool following the instructions Adam sent you on the WIKI.

7. Jon Fredericks

Thanks everyone! Gary and Steve nailed it with the new start procedure. Haven't updated this copter in a while, and somehow overlooked the new start.

Many thanks!

Anyone have some good PID settings as a starting point? (CS8, QC3328, APC 14X4.7)

Steve Maller likes this.
  8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Set the GPS gain to 85%, and try it with parameter set #3 defaults. The documentation indicates some GPS value changes.
    Make sure to double check the channels are set correctly, and also verify the Transmitter Signal Loss and Emergency Come Home values are set correctly, especially the Use vario control for failsafe altitude. I'd suggest an Emergency Gas setting of around 90 - 95%, depending on how hard you want to it land. ;)

Do you also pick up on the new features Auto-takeoff/land capability and the use of a motor safety switch -- obviously it's your choice whether to use them or not.

Andy

Jon Fredericks likes this.
  9. Jon Fredericks

The Emergency Gas setting is a little confusing: does this mean that if the failsafe routine is not executed within the 60 seconds (as I have programmed), that it will automatically go to 85% throttle and rocket skyward? Intuition tells me that I should have the emergency gas set around 50-55% (approx. hover power). The wiki is not very clear on the subject:

http://www.mikrokopter.de/ucwiki/en/Firmware-2.00#Settings

10. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

If the "Use vario control for failsafe altitude" is checked, then the 85% is a percentage of the amount of throttle needed to hover. The FC board figures the throttle required to hover automagically. Dave King has tried some actual tests by switching off the transmitter. I'll search the forum and see if I can find out what percentage he used....I seem to recall it was higher than 85% to reduce the descent rate.

But watch out! If the "Use vario..." is not checkd, then the value is 85 out of 255 (I think it's 255), and the copter will plummet to the ground. AMHIK. :(

If the Come Home Altitude is not specified, the copter goes straight into emergency landing and uses the Emergency Gas setting.

Andy.

11. Jon Fredericks

OK thanks Andy, that makes much more sense now. I can see why 90 or 95% would be the value to choose. Vario is on and I have come home alt set for 25m, which is safe for most situations we are in.

12. Ryan J. Rowe

Ryan J. Rowe Member

Wow! Thank you. I was also stumped...