/dist/images/branding/favicon

Anyone use the Sony HDR-PJ430V?

Discussion in 'Cameras' started by Kristian C, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I'm looking at getting the Sony CX760 equivalent, which is the Sony PJ650, and retails for approx. $1099. However, looking at their site, I just saw the Sony PJ430 that also has BOSS, 1080x60p, and retails for $850. Anyone have any thoughts on this camera vs the PJ650? $250 is a lot of money to save if I'm after the BOSS with 60p.

2. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

Kristian if you want remote control of the camera make sure that it has the LANC connector. Some of the new cameras do not have the port for the remote which means you may have no way of start/stop/zoom.

3. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

I'm not too sure about the ilink connector after looking through the spec sheet, but the Sony Remote Control Cable works with that model. So I think it'd be safe to say it does have it.

4. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

I think that Remote Control Cable supports the LANC protocol.

Andy.

5. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Kristian you can give it a try but the same remote is for the PJ790 series and Dave King reported that it was not 'LANC' compatible so didn't work with the current types of remotes available that can control cameras that have an actual LANC connector.

6. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

I learned that the hardway, had to return the camera. All 2013 camera models no longer have LANC. The PJ-760 is the last in the line to have it.

7. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

OH NO!!!! I'm sorry about that Dave! Thanks for the advice! I'm bummed about that now. So it's either the NEX or GH3 for me now. I just wish the Mark III could do 1080 60p without the hack.... Come on Canon!! Get with the program!!

8. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

I double checked and I'm pretty sure Dave is right. There a remote control available for the camera so my guess is it is infra-red. So you could use an IR control from MK or the Stratosnapper, but I prefer the more positive control of LANC.

There are some Sony CX760's available on Amazon as "used -- good/as new."

Andy.

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Curious comment in one of the Amazon reviews for the CJ790V:

So there is no longer an "A/V", remote or LANC port on these camcorders (remote functions are now controlled by three pins from the multi-port). However, having LANC/remote control is very important to me, so shame on me for not making sure there was "included" access to the LANC function before buying this camcorder. And I have to say, calling Sony tech support to get any of this info was an exercise in comedic futility - you would have thought I was describing an alien space landing when talking to these folks. They (several employees) had no idea what the LANC/remote functions/ports/cables were, or what in the world they possibly could have to do with camcorders. Anyways, enough said on the multi-port subject. That area is obviously a work in progress for Sony.

See http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-PJ79...dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

This suggests that there is some form of wired remote control possible. However, if you look at the manual for this camcorder at page 30 of this document:
    http://www.docs.sony.com/release/HDR-PJ780E_PJ780VE_PJ790_PJ790E_PJ790V_PJ790VE_guide_EN.pdf
    I don't even see where this "multi-port" is located.

Page 33 shows the "wireless" remote control -- which is definitely IR (see item 4 on page 29), so all is not completely lost. I used to control the CX760V with a Mikrokopter IR control, so I know it can be done.

There is the possibility of control via the HDMI port (see page 97), but I don't know of any RC controllable HDMI triggers.

Oh...and according page 113 you can also control the camcorder from your smart phone.... :(

So, as I said before, Dave is right. No wired remote control.

Another so-called "upgrade" that's actually a downgrade.

Andy.

10. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

11. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

There is a wired remote. Sony RM-VPR1. Looks like it might have mini usb.

12. Kristian C

Kristian C Member

Andy, that some intensive research you did, and I appreciate your time in doing that. Now I feel lazy, but I admire your determination in helping me.

Gary, as for the wired remote, I'm not too sure how helpful that will be since the camera will be more than 80cm away from me. I might've missed something there.

Dave, i appreciate the link and will definitely see which one will be the "best" buy.

I just ordered the Stratto Snapper 2. I like how it can work with a multitude of cameras. So hopefully I'll have plenty of success with that.

As for the PAL format on the CX760, whats the issue with that being that we're in an NTSC region?

13. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Kristan you said there was a remote for the camera earlier. Which is correct. Thought you were thinking about trying to use the connector from that camera to jury rig something up.

14. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks, Gary. I searched the entire operations manual for the instance of the word "remote" and didn't find anything. Do you have a web link for the RM-VPR1 where it says that it will work with the PJ650?

I can find this Sony page for the RM-VPR1 http://accy.sonydigitalimaging.com/products/model/RM-VPR1 and, notable by its absence is the PJ650 in the Compatibility list of cameras. It does, however, show the HDR-PJ790V as compatible.

As you say, it looks like Sony, in it's desire to avoid confusion, is now referring to the USB connector as a Multi-Terminal. That should fool people. I wonder whether the USB...sorry, Multi-Terminal connectors supports LANC (aka Control-L) -- it's just a serial data connection at 9,600 bits/second.

Andy.

15. Gary Haynes

Staff Member

Andy I was talking about the camera Kristian was looking at. Timing in the post is everything !

16. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Oops. Sorry....I think I'm confusing myself with all the different models of Sony Camcorders. I shall go sit in a quiet corner with a paper bag over my head....

Andy.

17. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

James of Gentles Limited sent me this link for an interesting adapter: http://www.sony.co.uk/product/cac-cables---connectors/vmc-avm1

It would appear to adapt the "multi-terminal" port back to a Sony D-connector such as one finds on the Sony CX760.

James also points out that he's had an order in for one of these for the past three months, so they're evidently not available yet -- at least not in the UK.

Andy.

18. Jansen Meyers

Jansen Meyers New Member

Hey everyone!

FYI, for anyone interested in the Sony PJ430 video camera, we found it at On Sale Always for 20% off.

Cheerio!