/dist/images/branding/favicon

RADIAN Tilt Problem

Discussion in 'Radian' started by Andrew-Crinson, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Andy Johnson-Laird

Andy Johnson-Laird Administrator
    Staff Member

Chris: I understand -- I've run my own business for the past 35 years and things are either a solution or a problem and this is definitely the latter.

The frustrating thing for me is that being 4,281 miles away from the aircraft makes it really hard to be able to help diagnose the problem anywhere as quickly as if it were on my own workbench where I could stuff an oscilloscope on the wires and check for noise and that the signals were well formed, etc.

Can you contact your dealer and see if they will lend you a spare servo just to test (and/or a Radian)?

Andy

2. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

Ok some updates. Met up with Andrew C today and he gave me a brand new CS3 built with new Radians and servos etc. I connected my radio and had exactly the same issue. To be clear this was a completely new CS3 and all components. I tried it with futaba and SBUS with the same negative results.

On the upside I have got around the issue by wiring in my AR8000 spektrum receiver in PWM mode, so that each radian has a direct connection to the AR8000 with the additional cable for the mode switch plugged into PAN only to stop the unwanted PAN rotation at lift off. This wiring system works with my original CS3 and RADIANS combination.

We really need to get John C to review all the details Andrew C and I have input along with Andy and Gary because there is clearly something wrong with the Spektrum satellite and Futaba SBUS configuration

Chris.

3. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Let me see if I can have John review this entire thread.....

Andy.

4. John Cunningham

Hi guys,

Oh - you have been busy. I'm back in blighty now so can take a look.

First, the 'Off unless Spektrum' checkbox means the axis will be 'Off' unless it is using the Spektrum input. This is so that it can be used (for example) via the SBUS input and the pan axis will be 'Off' allowing single person operation. Then if a second cameraman turns on his Spektrum radio, the axis will turn on to give 3-axis operation.

The problem looks very likely to be with the Pan Radian : it seems the daisychain SBUS output is being interrupted which is causing the other 2 to go to the 'fixed position'. A nice problem lol - the fault is with the one module which doesn't show it.

It could be the pan Radian is being reset for some reason.

I think I will deal with Andy directly over this then we can report the findings back when we find them. Email will be much easier than the forum ...

5. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Thanks for responding to my email, John. As you say, email me and I'll interact with Chris and Andrew via the forum.
    Should it prove relevant, Andrew is London, and Chris is in York as far as I can tell.

Andy.

6. John Cunningham

Hi Andy,

No problem - I seems I am piggy in the middle being in Hull ...

7. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Did you mean you'll deal directly with Andrew Crinson over this, John? I was just re-reading what you wrote and you might have meant "Andrew" not "Andy." :)

Andy.

8. John Cunningham

Ooh yes - I meant the horses mouth - but i'll keep you in the loop for future reference :)

9. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

Perhaps you should all get together in a pub in a village half way down the M1? Somewhere near Leicester should do it.... :)
    No.
    Wait.
    They won't have Elland's 1872 porter.....

Andy.

10. Chris J Ayres

Chris J Ayres Member

John C. I head in the Hull direction quite often and can meet you with the CS3 to do some testing. Let me know. My direct email is chris.ayres@skylineimages.co.uk

11. Andrew-Crinson

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to let you all know that this problem is not resolved yet and at the moment John C has kindly offered to emulate the setup in an effort to reproduce the problem. So watch this space.

Speak soon

Andrew

12. John Cunningham

Just out of interest - is anyone else experiencing similar issues ?. This is the first time I'm aware of it ...

13. Andy Johnson-Laird

Staff Member

FWIW, it's the first I've heard of it.

Andy.

14. Matt Hennem

Matt Hennem New Member

I've just come across this thread whilst searching for a solution to what I think is exactly the same issue, that happened to us today. We've not had any problems up until now, but on testing today (in flight) the tilt axis radian would (randomly and of its own accord) rotate with no input to either 15 degrees above level, or to maximum upwards pointing direction.
    Here's a video that Ian (my partner in crime) made as he has the gimbal at his place.

The amber light does indeed go out momentarily at the point of gimbal self induced movement. . .

We're using (from memory) a spektrum satellite plugged into the pan radian, ferrite ring on the power cable, power coming from a 3s lipo with BEC (I hope Ian can chip in here with details). I think the power is plugged into port 1. . .

I'm hoping this thread sheds some light on our new problem as we have a small job coming up next week and it would be a huge shame to mess it up over this. . .

Really though, I wanted to chip in as it's been suggested that it's the first occurrence of this problem, but ours is now a second one. . .
    Something with the moon phases perhaps? ;)

I'll also get Ian to start a thread with the diagnostics form filled out for clarity.

Matt

15. Ian Hunter

Ian Hunter New Member

As Matt's previous post states (along with my short video clip), we were having a problem with our Radian system yesterday.

Today we visited a friend who is an electronics engineer, we sat in his extensive workshop and set up the gimbal with the radio. We could not replicate the fault. This is so frustrating as we had a qualified person on hand, and with no symptoms to diagnose, we left the gimbal on to 'soak test, and no further problems today. We will add further info if the problem arises again. We have our first shoot next week so I sincerely hope not.

Ian