/dist/images/branding/favicon

Questions for the first "small batch" of M10 recipients...

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Carey Lee Coffey, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Carey - we'll probably end up with the same config. We're going to test a few different LiPo scenarios for best size/weight ratio.

2. Carey Lee Coffey

Sounds good Drew, thanks! i look forward to seeing the different configurations as these puppies start to roll out.

3. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

I have the system all mapped out in my head but we all know once they arrive - our "map" will totally change and we'll rework everything! I appreciate everyone's insight, very helpful in getting all the pieces to mingle!

4. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Here is what we will be recommending:

On the handles
    Small HD DP4 with 2 Canon LPE6
    USB power from SmallHD to Teradek or Paralinx via USB cable we will have available.​
    HDMI Cable from camera to smallhd - Will be available in our store​

On the Gimbal
    Freefly 4s 2.6Ah batter to power Gimbal
    Adapter for D-tap to our Freefly Battery (to power follow focus, etc) so you can run a secondary pack to power accessories.

This setup works well, is extremely lightweight and cost effective but it does require the user to do some learning on proper battery handling procedures.

Hope that helps!

Tabb

5. Chuy Valadez

Chuy Valadez New Member

I was under the impression that the Teradek Bolt required at least 6V. My understanding is that the DP4 only puts out 5V. I'm certainly not an expert on this, but isn't underpowering something by even 1V outside of it's tolerance bad for the electronics?

I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to have the option of a Teradek Bolt.

6. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Just looking at the Teradek website - their tech specs state 6V minimum. I am not as familiar with the Teradek, however, I do know that the Paralinx takes 5V max.

7. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

HI Chuy,

While the Teradek website does state 6V minumum input for their Lemo DC power input connector we have found that the unit functions well when powered with 5V via the USB connector.

8. Wes Greene

Wes Greene New Member

Thanks Tabb, this info helps heaps.

And of course the more you can supply necessary/proven accesories cables the easier for all of us newbies

cheers
    wes

Lliam Worthington likes this.
  9. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Brandon, there is a c-rating on every lipo for charging and discharging. In short it says how fast you can charge or discharge the battery. So increasing the mAh doesn´t necessarily mean increasing the charge time.

Guys, as Tabb outlined yesterday, please do some reading on how to proper handle LiPo Batteries.
    Most people that have to do with RC are familiar with it, but you really need to know, otherwise the worst case is they may catch fire. This is not just an extremely rare case. You can try a google search for "lipo fire" and will find quite some examples.
    Some rules are:
    You need to balance the battery when charging
    Unlike other batteries you must not fully discharge them!!! This in my opinion is the most crucial thing. While with other batteries people do exactly that because it is said to be best for the battery, in this case is the exact opposite.

10. Charles Bergquist

All this info is great. Anyone planning on using an Epic / Scarlet and running the LCD to the handle with a 4ft LCD cable? Might remove one powered piece of gear vs a monitor and give control of the camera.

11. Howard Dapp

Howard Dapp Active Member

Guys, before you're hit with outrageously priced items such as a proper thin HDMI cable IDEAL for these gimbals, go over to Amazon and purchase this ultra thin 2.5 ft HDMI cable $15, nothing will work better for this application, the wire is as thin and flexible as the wire on a set of headphones. I use them and it's like the cable isn'ts there at all with no limiting interference. I'll also post this in movi accessories.

HDMI - Type A-A (RED) http://www.amazon.com/SiliconMicroDisplay-ULTRA-Premium-Speed-Cable/dp/B006UJSAUW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2
    HDMI - Type C-A (DSLRs) http://www.amazon.com/SiliconMicroDisplay-ULTRA-Premium-Speed-Cable/dp/B006VFQKVQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Brad McGiveron likes this.
  12. Drew Kachurak

Drew Kachurak Member

Adam, we'd love to see some accessory/power packages for the M5 and M10!

Lliam Worthington likes this.
  13. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

totally agreed!

I use the Hypershop cables and they are basically the same and the same price. Nobody should be paying more than $15 for these cables!
    If your running Red or other with SDI you can use an $1 RCA cable to an SDI capable monitor or converter, which works great as well.

14. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Not looking to make a boon off of hdmi cables ect. here guys. We've been through a slew of different types over the years. Have a nice weekend

Greetings,
    Adam

15. Phil Macdonald

All I would add is to make sure you have plenty of Canon batteries for the monitor, we have been powering our paralinx off our monitor in much the same way and it drinks though those things....that being said it is the AC7 OLED rather than the DP4 but still :)

Cheers,
    Phil

16. Brad McGiveron

Brad McGiveron Active Member

For sure... at 15 each you wont make much.

and I am having a great weekend:)

17. Lliam Worthington

Tabb, appreciate that update about cabling and power. Thank you.
    Also echo Wes's request about cabling and power packs for dummies.
    Adam, still very interested and I appreciate your help.

Charles do you have an old 4ft cable left from RED one days? They only stock 6ft LCD at smallest anymore. I spoke with RED and they are looking into it and will keep me updated. Also love to be sure whether their standard non braided cables would be flexible enough - if anyone who has done so or form FreeFly could confirm, that would be very helpful.

In the interim, I heard back regarding a custom quote for a 32" flexible custom cable that could be used for RED touch mounted to handlebars. Right to Right. $340. Found the guy through - http://www.alpine-electronics.com He has made custom cables for RED monitors in the past. Anybody who might be interested let me know.

Also what do people make of the idea of running a Vmount off the handlebars, via a 20"cable Switronix plate (dual PTap) to my RED, with Dtap to RRMFF and Dtap to Paralinx arrow, combined with a custom cabled Redtouch...? Whole rig now just running on a V mount. This instead of 3 lipos + 2 canon batteries on the DP4? Thinking being a noob, there's likely some critical flaws in my reasoning?

Best

Lliam

Brett Harrison likes this.
  18. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Liam, that is the arrangement I was thinking I would try. As long as you have the cabling, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

19. Carey Lee Coffey

I'm in for the flexible Red Touch cable Liam. I don't want to buy another small monitor if I can use my Red Touch. Maybe the guy will do a group buy discount?

20. Brett Harrison

Brett Harrison Active Member

Lliam, I like the way your "noob" mind works. It would be great to have Freefly weigh in on this concept. I am sure they've considered it.