/dist/images/branding/favicon

MoVi and iOS

Discussion in 'MōVI M10' started by Wolfgang Armin, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Wolfgang Armin

Wolfgang Armin Active Member

Hi,
    from what I read, programming the MoVI is currently only working with Android devices.
    That leaves me with three questions, I hope someone can help:
    1. Any plans for iOS?
    2. If not, any suggestions for a reasonably (if you'd only need it for that single use) priced device?
    3. What about notebooks?

It would be great if I could prepare accordingly. There's nothing worse than having a new toy and not being able to use it. Sometimes even waiting for the batteries to charge mekes me go crazy ;-). Would be cool if we could have a link for the software download and some instructions prior to delivery.

Thanks,
    Wolfgang

2. Austin Glass

Austin Glass Active Member

Somewhere in my research prior to preordering I read (or maybe heard in an NAB interview?) that an iOS version is in the works. Please do not quote me as saying that, because I honestly don't remember where I heard it or how reliable the source is. If I come across it again I'll post a link.

3. Nick Rubino-Bradway

Nick Rubino-Bradway New Member

Hi Wolfgang,

I had the same question and here is the response I was given by the team at Freefly:

Question: I've noticed that the MoVI operators in the videos on YouTube and Vimeo are using a laptop to wirelessly control the settings on the MoVI, tweaking things like the speed of the pan and tilt of the camera. The website indicates that this is accessible through a real-time bluetooth connection to the gimbal, and that the interface is compatible with Windows and Android. Is there a plan to make this accessible with Mac and iOS, or will I need to invest in a Windows or Android-based device in order to access the interface? Also, is the ability to adjust these settings available on the MoVI unit itself, or am I required to invest in a separate device in order to access these settings?

Answer from Freefly: At this time, a Windows or Android system is required. There are no programming buttons on the MoVI, and iOS is not compatible at this time. (August 5th, 2013)

Hope this helps!

4. Nick Rubino-Bradway

Nick Rubino-Bradway New Member

As for your second and third questions, I've been doing research and here are a few options depending on what you want to do with it:

Google Nexus 7 - $229. Great, slim, well-constructed device that's easy to toss into a bag or slip into your pelican case if you want to use it only for the MoVI.

Samsung Galaxy Tab - $169 - $199 depending on model. Just like the Google Nexus 7 but at a cheaper price.

Microsoft Surface - Starting at $349. All of the benefits of the Samsung and Google devices, but with a bigger screen and full Operating System to boot. You can also toss in a Smart Cover which has a keyboard on it and will probably make interacting with MoVI's bluetooth interface easier and more precise.

Haven't done any research on notebooks.

5. Wolfgang Armin

Hi Nick, thanks a lot for your detailled info. Very much appreciated. I like small devices, so the samsung seems pretty fine.

6. Gary Haynes

Gary Haynes Administrator
    Staff Member

If all you plan to do is run the MōVI Amazon has several tablets under $100 that run Android operating system.

7. Wolfgang Armin

Thanks Gary, while I´m not an Apple Fanboy, I´m still using the apple line for my business. All I´ll use this device for would be the MōVI. So the cheaper the better as long as it´s reliable.
    Initially I haven´t thought about tablets, don´t know why. l´ll still hold back ordering an Android thing though I´m 400+ in the line so maybe there´ll be an iOS Version published before my MōVI is being shipped. It would be great to use my phone because that´s the thing I usually don´t forget.

8. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Thanks Nick, Wolf and Gary for the great info on the Android tablets etc. I'm a Mac person and appreciate the help.
    Like wolf though, I'll hang off until the last minute before investing in an Andriod device in case there is an iOS version available.

Does anyone know anything about what comes with the Movi's as far as instructional material is concerned?
    There have been a couple of posts about tech inclusions, but nothing on the "how to's".
    I know the FF boys are frantically building Movi's, but it'd be great if there was something online which could be viewed by customers prior to receiving our orders, and so be half prepared when they finally arrive.

Cheers and thanks.
    Garry

9. Adam Paugh

Adam Paugh Distributor

Hello Garry,

Freefly posted a newsletter update this week: http://goo.gl/8TYM9K

Greetings,
    Adam

10. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Hey Adam.
    yeah I got that yesterday, but was a bit surprised to see instruction videos are coming, even though some orders have been delivered.

Cheers
    Garry

11. Tabb Firchau

Tabb Firchau Administrator
    Staff Member

Just a quick update on the current status of the MōVI GUI
    It will work on:
    • Mac OS
    • Windows
    • Android
    We are working on iOS but at this time the iOS is not ready.
    Tabb

12. Wolfgang Armin

Thanks, Tabb. Sounds good. So I'll wait and use bootcamp on my notebook as a starter.

13. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Wolfgang, you can run the GUI on MacOS on your Mac Notebook, no need for bootcamp.

14. Wolfgang Armin

Thanks, Tabb, I didn´t get the OS vs iOS. Cool!!!
    Did I mention I like your new way of communicating? ;-) Very much appreciated!!!!

15. Garry Clarke

Garry Clarke Member

Ditto from me too.

16. Tabb Firchau

Staff Member

Thanks guys, I love to get on the forum and give updates as much as possible! The last month has been a bit insane though so my 'forum' time has been moved to 'MōVI production' time ;) I will try and get on here more often.

Best,

Tabb

17. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

Are we any closer to an iOS app. It would be HUGELY appreciated if it was soon!!! It's been promised for many months now!

18. Steve Maller

Steve Maller UAV Grief Counselor

Mitch, I think your use of the word "promised" is projecting a bit. Tabb said they were working on it, but I have never heard a definitive statement that something was coming.

I have a $100 Android tablet that works just fine along with my $200 used WinXP netbook, so I can leave my fancy MacBook Pro and my iPad safely in my office.

19. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

Well, I spent £15k for the kit and was told the app was being worked on. Still not here which I find extremely poor. I wasn't expecting to have to use a bloody forum for technical help either!

20. Mitch Bligh

Mitch Bligh Member

I'm not suggesting that the FF guys aren't nice people, they clearly are. BUT I was expecting a bit more of a professional support mechanism.